adapting to a different bike

62 Posts | Latest reply on 30/03/2011 23:29:41 by cw | Go to original / last post
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

errrr thanks a lot shadow......after some studying and head scratching think its best I leave well alone,god only knows what could happen if i start fiddling with spanners!                                                                                                                                                                             
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

In: leicestershire

What probs you having with the brakes jj?                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

brakes are generally fine when stopping in a nice controlled fashion,but from time to time as Im sure happens to all of us I need to stop very quickly, which i could do quite confidently on the cbf the R1 takes it upon its self to go sideways in quite an alarming fashion!

yamahama's Profile
yamahama

is that because of the back wheel skidding or does the front end turn the bike sideways? and is it always the same way ie the handle bars pull to one side                                                                                                                                                                              
Suzi5551's Profile
Suzi5551

In: Durham

Don't be afraid of adjusting the suspension settings.  Mine was way too hard when I bought it and have set it back to standard...made the world of difference.                                                                                                                                                                             
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

most bikes are set up for an average 12 stone person, so if you're less it could be too hard.                                                                                                                                                                             
Suzi5551's Profile
Suzi5551

I think I could soften mine off a bit more.                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

prob about 3rd or 4th time out on it, and i have been very wary and taken it easy as its an animal LOL I did an unplanned stoppie and since then have not used front brake to much or too hard,but i think its made me do most of my braking with the engine and or back brake and the back wheel has a tendency to go sideways with a little hop skip and jump thrown in for good measure.I dont think its a prob with the bike its in really good nick its down to my lack of skill. I`ve done about 2.5k on it and am still getting used to it.
Suzi5551's Profile
Suzi5551

If the back is skipping around it's probably the rear compression.  If you have a manual, it'll tell you how to set it back to standard.  start there and then have a play around.                                                                                                                                                                               
julie j's Profile
julie j

but if it was a prob with the settings wouldnt i notice under other conditions as well?                                                                                                                                                                             
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

you could try using less fingers on the lever like two or three. The reason for the turning is you're using too much back brake. You need to develop a feel for the brake but be careful because this is not the best time of year with damp slippery roads                                                                                                                                                                             
Suzi5551's Profile
Suzi5551

Three?  I would never use more than two.  Have you tried progressive braking?                                                                                                                                                                               
julie j's Profile
julie j

ha yes! have done the locked wheel wet skiddy bit too which was interesting think you are right about getting used to it, the new levers help and someone else mentioned using less fingers but i will take suzannes advice too and see if the suspension needs sorting. It was prob not the best bike to buy, just wanted to see if i could cope with a sports bike without buying a new one but i really like it so hope that in time i do get to grips with it.
Suzi5551's Profile
Suzi5551

Julie, stick with it, you'll be fine.  I don't think we're that far from each other so if you need any help I'll do what I can.  Can't make any promises for getting it right though lol.                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

suzanne I did a whole days training different braking techniques on my cbf which has ABS, emergency stops, braking whilst leant over on a bend etc but the change of bike has meant that none of those skills i learnt fit now and i really had it drummed into me so now i instinctively brake as i was taught on that bike and it doesnt apply at all to the R1.
julie j's Profile
julie j

I think the answer is to get out on it more, not the best time of year tho but it would be good to get a little ride out with you suzanne and pick your brains a bit!                                                                                                                                                                             
Suzi5551's Profile
Suzi5551

Ah, I've adopted some habits over the years that don't really apply to my current bike but I can't break them.  You could always try a track day with an instructor.  It's something I've been thinking about.                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

yes think i might be about ready for a track day, ive always been a bit intimidated by the thought of it cos i tend to be quite a slow rider but i shall look into it next yr.                                                                                                                                                                             
Suzi5551's Profile
Suzi5551

I'm with you there but was talking to someone who almost persuaded me it might be the way forward.  I may think about it for next year too.                                                                                                                                                                             
GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

In: Camberley
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Julie is there any one near you that is competant enough to check your bike regarding the pads that are fitted and also the suspension settings, as if its been used for track use as you suggest, a mixture of two will give the probs you're having. The hoppy skippy rear is a bit of of a giveaway.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5000 seconds. There are 844 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption