Panniers, Rucksacs or Bags

121 Posts | Latest reply on 04/01/2011 12:56:44 by sifimedia | Go to original / last post
Fitchy's Profile
Fitchy

In: Yeovil
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Im in the planning stage for the "BikeaBill Holiday to Cornwall" Next Summer.    Got a Tent, and a Sleeping Bag already.   But guess im gonna need some gear to carry my kit.   In the past have used a Rucksack but suffered for that when we went down to Valencia with cronic back ache.   Thinkin now maybe i'll get some Panniers or similar.   What do you use?   Anyone strongly reccommend anything?   Thanks for your input Thumbs Up   Steve                                                                                                                                                                             
marsey's Profile
marsey

In: South Cumbria

I  use Panniers and  a Bagster tank cover and bag, And i some times use  a large waterproof roll bag as well.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

Hi steve

I use soft Oxford sports panniers they are small enough to go on the sv but when unzipped they do so all the way round and almost double in size, so are ideal for either a weekend away or a longer trip, I also have a top box that has a fitment where the pilly would normally sit so with min fuss I can have top box, or seat, or convert ti single.
It's ideal and can be removed easily if want to carry stuff across the bike, usually Ian will carry tent etc behind him on the bandit in a dry sac and use his panniers which are hard ones that came with the bike.
we did 2 weeks in France this year and I only had panniers and top box
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

I have a topbox on my bike and because I don't bother with all this silly camping paraphernalia I can easily get a week's gear in there.

In fact Roachy and I have a Givi inner bag each.  Get to the hotel, open topbox, lift out inner bag ... done!                                                                                                                                                                             
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
65% Karma65% Karma 65% Karma65% Karma

As Shell said soft panners lay tent, airbed and rolled up sleeping bag across seat and use a tank bag as well.I bought new panners fo 43 pound and tank bag for around 20.If you take t pillon you need a rack as well and pillon can take a rutsack                                                                                                                                                                             
Fitchy's Profile
Fitchy

Thumbs Up   Thanks for some great info guys,   Panniers are lookin the Most Popular choice, gonna see if I can get a set with a Tank Bag included.   Are the Oxford ones any good?                                                                                                                                                                                 
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

Really depends on how much kit you 'need' to take.   I use a tankbag, with a clear map pocket, tent on the rear carrier, and a pannier each, for me and the pillion.   p.s. A lightweight airbed makes the world of difference tooSmile                                                                                                                                                                                 
Minnie the Minx's Profile
Minnie the Minx

In: Cheshire
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

Take a pillion...they carry the rucksack and get the backache                                                                                                                                                                             
limeninja9's Profile
limeninja9

In: Liverpool

Obviously I like to travel light and am therefore not the best person to give advice.                                                                                                                                                                             
dunans's Profile
dunans

In: southport

i strap a bag on to the seat behinnd me and wear a big rucksack that rests on the bag so im not taking full weight                                                                                                                                                                             
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

Please don't wear a rucsack whilst riding, if you have an off it guarantees you injuries which are more severe than if you were not carrying. Trust me I seen it and its not prettyThumbs Down                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

I too have seen the after effects of someone going down the road with a large rucksack.  It wasn't good.                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

deff consider splashing out on a givi topbox, the quality durability and ease of use make it well worth the outlay                                                                                                                                                                             
Fitchy's Profile
Fitchy

Thanx 4 all the info guys, never even considered the Top Box route   Didnt want the Bike to look like a Ferretting Bike, Shocked no offence lol   but Practicality over fashion could be the more "Sensible" option   (Never done sensible before, should be quite novel lol)   Good idea Minnie, sadly dont get many hitch hikers to kidnapp for pillion round these parts, well not unless Glastonbury's on lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Suzi5551's Profile
Suzi5551

In: Durham

I use soft panniers and a tank bag.  The beauty of soft luggage is that if you ever change your bike, you don't need to get new luggage.                                                                                                                                                                             
darkcarnival's Profile
darkcarnival

In: Blackburn
32% Karma32% Karma 32% Karma32% Karma

Soft panniers with clothes/beer in it, heeeuuuuge dry sack strapped to back seat with tent/chair/cooking eqpt/sleeping bag/shoes in it, bed roll on renntec rack, job sorted...oh and fags/phone/purse/waterproofs in tank bag Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
nawe's Profile
nawe

In: winsford chesh

i have tried soft and hard luggage. . the soft option was great.. whilst solo.. upgraded to hard with the inclusion of a pilly.. would go with the hard option 1st choice now.. the givi rack etc.. works real well.. and the bike still looks ok when you don't need the luggage on..                                                                                                                                                                              
kwackers05's Profile
kwackers05

In: Mid Wales
29% Karma29% Karma 29% Karma29% Karma

nobody has mentioned kriega yet awesome kit and waterproof , but if your set , on oxford kit ihave panniers ,tailpack and tankbag in the loft                                                                                                                                                                               
Fitchy's Profile
Fitchy

Kriega.....nice kit, quite pricey tho arnt they? I recall seeing them in the MnP cat a while back.   r.e oxford kit - That's good to know kwackers,  I'll check out some gear n see whats about, I'll pm you if I ever make up my mind lol, Cheers fella Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

Under the seat goes; puncture repair kit, took kit, insulation tape, duct tape, tie wraps, rags, spare bungies

Then in my top box goes (honestly); small bottle scottoiler oil, multi tool, maps, jacket thermal lining, overtrousers.  And in my givi inner bag; one pair of shorts, one pair of swimming shorts, jeans, four t-shirts, five pairs of undies, three pairs of socks, trainers, sunglasses, baseball cap (bald lol), toothbrush and paste, shaving stuff, deodorants, first aid kit, camera, battery charger, phone charger, torch and spare earplugs.

And this is what I take whether it's a long weekend or a fortnight (anything longer than four days and I wash).  Sorted!                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6719 seconds. There are 590 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption