I really gotta get a harley...But which one?

63 Posts | Latest reply on 06/10/2010 00:28:13 by fxr swas | Go to original / last post
Say_Ten's Profile
Say_Ten

In: Solihull
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

All I'd say is don't buy a Harley just for the name.  Modern Harley's are well built, pretty reliable and aren't always expensive, I believe the XR1200(X) started at around £6k last year.  If you want one, make sure to buy it because it suits your riding, last thing you want is a bike you don't want to ride ;)

I'd never buy one because too many of my miles are spent on motorways going to visit friends, so I want some wind protection but I don't want a hulking great tourer.  That alone puts their entire range out of my mind.  There was a Buell that I was tempted by though, alas they are gone.

P.S. I still want a Sprint ST but can't afford to atm :(
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Each to their own as you say, I did ride an electra glide when I went to america and enjoyed it but wouldn't like to live with one. As for speed a workmate has one I dont know the spec or model only that it has a 1350 engine in it, we were together on a night shift and he had his I had my ZX9, as it happened we both take the same road home, I led expecting to just leave him standing, well I was doing 130 and approaching a bend and looked in me mirror to see where he was and flabbergasted to see that he was right on my number plate, fair play to him, open face helmet two inches above his head from wind blast but he never gave up. Handshake                                                                                                                                                                             
invalid characters's Profile
invalid characters

In: West Sussex
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

Brother lives in the States, think out of his 17(?) bikes he's got a couple, but we're all hoping the treatment works.Wink                                                                                                                                                                               
Phantom1539's Profile
Phantom1539

In: Kendal
6% Karma6% Karma 6% Karma6% Karma

1st comment posted was "don't get a sportster". Why not?
Funnily enough there is one up for grabs locally to me.....Should I?   It's an 883, 2001 I think.....but it's black with some shiny bits....   More thoughts gang...Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

mate o mine is selling a blue 883 sporster ! low millage well looked after  selling due to illness so cant ride it anylonger                                                                                                                                                                              
fxr swas's Profile
fxr swas

In: South Shields
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Ideal bikes to start with and with a 1200 conversion - sound,as GreasyTony said,I had a 1200 sporty before the FXR, Great bike, loved it ,it was the last year of the 4 speeders,so they are a bit more refined now, would own a sporty aswell if finances allowed,whatever year. Travelled to the first 'European' Harley rally at Cheltnam from Aberdeen 2 up with gear no problems,(well the white finger did set in good by Birmingham tho) 
GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

In: Camberley
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

.....but it's black with some shiny bits....     And what is wrong with Black then ??? Hey, Black is the new Black mate LOL                                                                                                                                                                                     
fxr swas's Profile
fxr swas

Any colour...as long as its black! Although, cherry red over black is very nice.                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Harleys ... it seems you either love or loath lol.

I've never owned one and I've only ever ridden one (an 883 sportster and I didn't like it) and so I can't really comment.

All I'd say is if you really like the look of a bike then try it on for size.  As others have said, Harley Davidson do seem to be very good when it comes to test rides etc so finding out what they feel like and ride like shouldn't be difficult.

I've got a few friends who ride them and I know from this that they ain't slow (in the right hands) but I wouldn't buy one simply because they ain't for me.

But does that mean they're cr*p.  No, of course not.  So if you really do have your heart set on one and you've tried it and like it, buy it lol!                                                                                                                                                                              
Phantom1539's Profile
Phantom1539

I meant to put " AND it's black with some shiny bits"...oops. I like em that colour. But blue is good as well.   I like the varied and different opinions.....and even the negative stuff seems in general to have a positive effect.....lol   Keep goin gang....Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
fxr swas's Profile
fxr swas

Best thing really is now go down the boutique sorry dealership and have a shot but keep in mind they will be stock and will seem a bit stifled unless they have a 2nd hand 1 thats been sorted already. if you go down and have a shot bang it on here,see what you think.                                                                                                                                                                               
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

i rode a road king classic for the day in daytona  had a ball great bike for the straight roads  and found i kept turning into next junction just to go round a turn lol after half hour going round the same block i ventured out road up to santAugustine  ace day  would have one as my main bike but as a second bike defo !                                                                                                                                                                              
Phantom1539's Profile
Phantom1539

Well thats gone and done it.....I only put an offer on it....oooops. teehee Cool

fxr swas's Profile
fxr swas

On? the 883?                                                                                                                                                                             
Phantom1539's Profile
Phantom1539

Yep. In black with shiny bits, and it's mint.                                                                                                                                                                             
GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

In: Camberley
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Good man Thumbs Up   Welcome to the dark side !!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
fxr swas's Profile
fxr swas

Echo'd, this is the just the beginning,Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Minnie the Minx's Profile
Minnie the Minx

In: Cheshire
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

If your offer is accepted, I am prepared to put up with you coming round here to show off Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Say_Ten's Profile
Say_Ten

In: Solihull
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

Hah, hope you get it and enjoy it ;)                                                                                                                                                                              
Phantom1539's Profile
Phantom1539

AAAAARRGGGGHHH. Got trounced. No Harley this weekend. Cry Never mind. There is another 883 comin up and I spied a Victory as well....interesting .... Goin for a Bacon roll for lunch at Devils Bridge tomorrow to console myself.....Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7813 seconds. There are 543 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption