I really gotta get a harley...But which one?

63 Posts | Latest reply on 06/10/2010 00:28:13 by fxr swas | Go to original / last post
Phantom1539's Profile
Phantom1539

In: Kendal
6% Karma6% Karma 6% Karma6% Karma

For years now I have wanted a Harley...I know some have a reliability problem but I dont know which. I don't do ape hangers, I really like the long low style. I have a limited budget, so if anyone is selling at a reasonable price. Your thoughts please gang.                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

good luck.   Oh, yer gonna need this......www.samaritans.org Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

Dont get a sportster                                                                                                                                                                             
GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

In: Camberley
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

Hi Phantom, first thing to do is ignore all the snidey comments like tractor & Massey Fergusson. As you can imagine, these come from people who have never thrown a leg over one , or have heard a mate of a mate who had one once & it broke down 5 times in 30 seconds etc etc.
Anyhow, that aside, My advice at the moment is go along to your local HD dealer. The 2011 range is in the stores at present and they are happy to let test rides.
I’m not suggesting that you buy a new one, I saw your comment about limited budget.
As a cynical git, I would throw in the comment that, if you have a limited budget, are you sure a Harley is the best bike for you?
Instead, if you test one or two, you get a Feel for the model that most suits you.
As you are, like myself, a tad vertically challenged, you don’t want a model that only comes with forward controls as you’ll spend a fortune bringing the foot controls back within reach.
Quick guide for you .. Touring models (big Glides) weigh as much as a small planet if you are trying to move it about your yard.
Softail models hold their value very well, Pre2000 models dont handle that well, but are a little cheaper and come with the Evolution 1340cc engine. 2000 up are Twin Cam motors 1450cc as stock but have often been fitted with big bore kit to give1550cc.
Dyna models .. Once again pre 2000 are Evo motor (in my opinion the better engine), FAR more durable. 2000 up Twin Cam as previous comment.
The Twin Cams are a more refined bike but at a cost of character.
Sportster models .. Nothing wrong with an early model Rubber mount. These are 2004 onward. These are carburetted until 2007 when they became fuel injected, a bit more costly to do anything to them.
You should pick up a 04, 05 model for around 3 – 4K. If you find an 883 model that has had a 1200 conversion  .. Great if it has been done properly.
Pre 2004 they were not rubber mounted but engine bolted to chassis, Rumour has it Harley’s vibrate a tad.  Dead finger syndrome !!!!!
With one of those properly done you should be able to beat most big twins away from the lights, but will run out of air around 6000 revs .. don’t worry, you’re doing 110+ mph by now.
I service, repair and tune these for a living. And make the odd one or six go faster than the factory ever intended. So any Questions PM me.

Oggy's Profile
Oggy

In: Ely. Cambs
52% Karma52% Karma 52% Karma52% Karma

Pmsl Blues! Nice one. Each to their own but can I just point out the Harley engine was originally designed to be a water pump for the fenlands. As having never thrown a leg over one,have done a fair few & they with out a doubt not worth the price tag nor the effort of owning a lump of pig iron.In short buy a Jap clone mate,Harleys just aren't that good.                                                                                                                                                                             
Phantom1539's Profile
Phantom1539

Cheers so far....GT..."a tad vertically challenged..." lol...I'm piggin short man. Yes I've heard plenty of comments about tractors and all that.
I have MOT tested a couple of Harleys lately....thats what rekindled my interest. I recovered one that did a clutch and one that got rear ended.....not good.   Sorry to say I have been to several kwak thumpers that had busted fuel injection systems....I'm not impressed... although the suzuki's seem ok.   I think the smart advice is as GT said....off to the dealers and sit my behind on one or two..   Keep the thoughts comin gang....it's all in good tasteThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Wraith750's Profile
Wraith750

In: Stevenage
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

Hey Phantom,if you want something "harley-esque"which is reliable & has plenty of oomph try & find a Honda VF750CH or CJ Magna-often referred to as the "SuperMagna".Built in America,water cooled V4 with shaft drive & rocket launcher style exhausts.Only built between 1987 & 88 so quite rare but a great looking cruiser-just try to find one thats been looked after.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

"don’t worry, you’re doing 110+ mph by now"

if you are very lucky ........and it wont go any faster anyway.

Don't forget to keep money in the budget for the Harley socks, underpants, gloves, jacket, trousers, sunglasses, wallet, zippo etc etc etc

Errrr as for them breaking down ...... how come every rally I've been at in the last 2-3 years a RAC/AA van is putting a Harley on the back on the Sunday morning.

Better off getting a Jap cruiser, but if after all that you still are hell bent on a Hardly ....... develop a thick skin Big smile                                                                                                                                                                              
fxr swas's Profile
fxr swas

In: South Shields
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

That may be quite right too about them not being worth the money they are now, Effort in owning Pig iron ? Dunno about that,Water pump for the fens?Dont care, had mine 19 years- never let me down-an Evo 1340,its had 1 belt and pulley,changed at about 45,000mile cos some tosser decided to try cutting the origional,yeah jap bikes,Triumphs make some nice alternatives,they should they've been trying to copy them lumps of pig iron for long enough. Evo 1340's can be picked up pretty much standard with low miles from 6k.Easy to own and look after yourself,not really much to do on them and theyre as good as you want them to be.' By the way mine gets ridden thru the glorious british weather including lots of rain,if you fancy 1 go for it  you might just regret not trying it if you dont. As stated, each to their own! Good luck                                                                                                                                                                               
Phantom1539's Profile
Phantom1539

Now this is gettin proper interesting.....lol   I've opened a real can of worms here......keep the thoughts comin gang I am open to suggestion (as long as it aint rude....he he)LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

ht...-2004.html    Dunno where the rest of link has gone, but it stilll works.!! Each to their own opinion and I stand by mine .. Difference is, just coz I dont ride one .. no need to slag it off, I just prefer my choice.   if you are very lucky ........and it wont go any faster anyway.   Oh the views of the ill informed & uneducated. If I could be arsed, I'd dig out the timing ticket showing 11.12 seconds @122 mph.   Think you are very blinkered there Shad. Not seen any of them Jap things on the back of the truck with the flashing lights then ??   As to a water pump .. .. bloody versatile engine innit ? lol                                                                                                                                                                                
Phantom1539's Profile
Phantom1539

I did mention the jap thumpers that I seem to keep going to.....with my orange flashy light thingys and everything....I cant knock the jap stuff too hard though....as you can see my daily ride for the last 12 years is my kwak.....got carbytooters on it though....
fxr swas's Profile
fxr swas

Oh aye, thats right, you'll be the easiest person to buy pressies for,underpants,socks etc etc etc, your nearest and dearest have plenty to choose from Big smile                                                                                                                                                                               
Nutkin68's Profile
Nutkin68

In: Hull

Hey Greasy, Matt's gonna rap your knuckles for those  very impressive  massive charts, best go into hiding.......                                                                                                                                                                              
GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

OOOpps  err why Nutkin ???                                                                                                                                                                             
Nutkin68's Profile
Nutkin68

they take up too much space... mega informative mind... rebel and see if he notices ;-)                                                                                                                                                                             
fxr swas's Profile
fxr swas

Gets a point across tho dont it,nice.                                                                                                                                                                             
GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

Oh I,m sure he'll notice Smile Maybe some one clever could re size them ...................................................... ?????   Cheers Swaz                                                                                                                                                                             
Nutkin68's Profile
Nutkin68

It does get the point across, yes Thumbs Up   I think it's more pics he's not into having in the forum topics, no doubt a Mod will resize, put me right :-))                                                                                                                                                                             
Minnie the Minx's Profile
Minnie the Minx

In: Cheshire
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

Hi phantom1539. I'd have a little chat with I-ronnie about his gorgeous beast http://www.triumph.co.uk/uk/Speedmaster_7665.aspx   There was quite a bit of drooling going on at the roaches last weekend and he had a great big grin on his face. ....and Oi! when are you gonna nanny me out again? Overtook a bin wagon on the bypass yesterday! lol                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8281 seconds. There are 889 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption