Biker Granny, 62, Sells House for World Trip

13 Posts | Latest reply on 21/09/2010 10:00:33 by anneka56 | Go to original / last post
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

A motorbike-loving grandma is set to blow her life's savings on a 10-year round the world trip on her new £18,000 Harley-Davidson. Sue O'Grady, from Sprotbrough, near Doncaster, is to sell her £200,000 house and plans to blow every last penny she has on the road trip of a lifetime.Speaking about her family's reaction to her mammoth trip, Sue told The Yorkshire Post: "They think I'm absolutely crazy – but you only live once, and I'm going to make the best of it while I've got the chance."The sixty-two-year-old says she now loves her motorbike more than her house, which is why she's prepared to sacrifice one for the other: "I love my home, I've lived there a long time and it's everything I ever wanted, but I probably love my Harley a lot more on balance, so the house has got to go."I can travel a long way and see a lot of the world with the proceeds from the sale, and if I can stretch the money out and make it last for eight or 10 years then so much the better."     Go! Granny Go! that takes some bottle, I reckon. Best of luck to her and safe travels.                                                                                                                                                                               
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

In: West Yorks
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

She does right. Her family are probably more concerned about the sale of a house that might form part of an estate in the future.   Good luck to the woman.                                                                                                                                                                              
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Fair play to the lass GO GRANNY                                                                                                                                                                               
kfoggy67's Profile
kfoggy67

In: Cheshire

i agree with roachy on that one!! go for it granny n good luck.                                                                                                                                                                             
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Better to enjoy what you have than leave the family to squabble over it when you go.................(she may need most the cash just to get the bike bits she'll need to replace 8-10 years long trip that and around the world fuel alone ferries hotels mmm how far do you think £200k would stretch) good luck on bugeting hope you get as far as you wish    Go Granny                                                                                                                                                                             
Say_Ten's Profile
Say_Ten

In: Solihull
26% Karma26% Karma 26% Karma26% Karma

Awesome, good luck to her tbh.  Wish I even remotely had that option ;)                                                                                                                                                                              
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

Way to go Granny, can we get her to join here and then give us updates every now and again Clap                                                                                                                                                                             
DriftnSlide's Profile
DriftnSlide

In: Belfast/Larne

Good luck to her !  She needs to have a talk with Geoff Thomas - Poor Circulation, before she goes.  Thumbs Up   http://www.poorcirculation.blogspot.com/                                                                                                                                                                             
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

In: Bedworth
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

I did a similar thing by selling my house and travelling abroad on m/bikes etc and lasted 4 years on £40000 but lived in the (very!)lower income bracket. Hopefully 'granny' can do the same but it's not that easy!   Ratty                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
71% Karma71% Karma 71% Karma71% Karma

Go go SueThumbs Up From checking out the original story it looks as if she's an experienced transcontinental tourer so she may have a rough idea of what she's letting herself in for.
Personally I'd have chosen something other than a |Harley (such as an early airhead BMW R100G/S), but each to his/her own. Good luck to her anyway.                                                                                                                                                                             
sumodwarf's Profile
sumodwarf

In: billericay
7% Karma7% Karma 7% Karma7% Karma

Good luck granny(change the bike though) have fun                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

Torn on this one, big part of me says good on ya granny, go for it!!

But a big part if me also looks back at the last years I had with my granny before she suddenly passed away, and can see it from how the family would feel if whilst on her trip something happened overseas to her and they could not get out to her. I would like to be optimistic and think their concern is not only for their inheritance.
anneka56's Profile
anneka56

In: Stockport

Wish I could sell this place and do something like that, but I don't think the council would be too happy !!!!! but hey go for it girl  Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5313 seconds. There are 1485 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption