Briton Cal Crutchlow to move from Superbikes to MotoGP

12 Posts | Latest reply on 17/09/2010 14:26:20 by Brummie Jackie | Go to original / last post
46Rossi's Profile
46Rossi

In: Bridlington
28% Karma28% Karma 28% Karma28% Karma

British rider Cal Crutchlow will leave the World Superbike Championship at the end of the season and switch to MotoGP.

Crutchlow, who won the World Supersport Championship in 2009, has signed a two-year deal with Tech 3 Yamaha team.

The 24-year-old will be replaced at the factory Yamaha outfit by Italian Marco Melandri, currently with the San Carlo Honda Gresini MotoGP team.

"It's hard to explain how excited I am, joining MotoGP is like a dream come true," said Coventry's Crutchlow.

"To think I will be racing against the likes of Valentino Rossi, who I grew up being a massive fan of, is a really exciting prospect. I can't wait for 2011."

Coventry-born Crutchlow follows fellow Briton James Toseland in joining the Tech 3 outfit, where his partner is expected to be veteran American rider Colin Edwards.

Toseland spent two years with the team before returning to the World Superbike championship at the start of this season.

Crutchlow replaces Ben Spies of the United States, who has graduated to the works Yamaha team in place of world champion Valentino Rossi. He will be at Ducati in 2011.

Tech 3 team manager Herve Poncharal said: "Crutchlow has shown with his World Supersport success in 2009 and with a series of outstanding performances in World Superbikes this year what an exciting prospect he is."

Melandri, a former 250cc world champion, stated he was "very happy" with his "big change".
The Italian rejoined Gresini last August but has not enjoyed much success this season.
The 28-year-old is currently ninth in the MotoGP standings with a best 2010 finish of fifth place, achieved at his home race at Mugello in June.

He came 10th in Sunday's San Marino MotoGP.
"It was a difficult decision because this is the best team I have worked with in my career," added Melandri.
"But I felt that I needed a new challenge and the genuine opportunity to be back fighting for wins and podiums led me to make this choice." 
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
90% Karma90% Karma 90% Karma90% Karma

Excellent a Brit in each category GO US !!!!!!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                              
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Any news where Toseland will go next season ?                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

Coming to a gravel trap near you. Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
46Rossi's Profile
46Rossi

In: Bridlington
28% Karma28% Karma 28% Karma28% Karma

Play nice blues lol                                                                                                                                                                              
SPESH's Profile
SPESH

In: Rugeley In The S
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

Todays MCN hints at Toseland could be going to BMW Wsb. But theres also a chance that Haslem could be the BMW teams primary target. :-)                                                                                                                                                                              
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

Thought BMW were quitting ???

By the way Spesh love the pic lol

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Hasn't laverty signed for Yamaha too?                                                                                                                                                                             
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

Yep Laverty's going to Yamaha WSB with Marco Melandri                                                                                                                                                                             
DriftnSlide's Profile
DriftnSlide

In: Belfast/Larne

And well deserved by Eugene, hope he does as well as in WSS, he's a tough wee rider.
As for Toseland, its no secret that Ronald Ten Kate has a soft spot for JT.  If he can't get a ride with the Hanspree team (which is unlikely, as Johnny Rea is talked about being the one bike team next year) then I think the AMA series may be his only option.  Bit like the way Neil Hodgson was forced to go, to keep racing.

I reckon it may be too big of a move, too soon for Cal.  1 year in WSS, 1 year in WSB then into Moto GP ?  I think he'll find it tough, its a different league up there.  Just ask JT, Colin Edwards, Max Biaggi, Chris walker etc etc etc.....  I think he should have stayed at WSB for another year at least.
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

Possibly, but those that stay in WSB don't seem to do any good in MotoGP.   The only WSB rider to really shine has been Spies, who only stayed for 12 months.                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

Time will tell me thinks but hope he does well                                                                                                                                                                               

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.3809 seconds. There are 323 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption