Why is neutral between first and second gear on a motorbike?

35 Posts | Latest reply on 12/09/2010 15:25:56 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Dont ask me why but this has led to a dispute in our office !!!!

Answers on a postcard please or post them here for all to see :)

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham

tell the its due to the upward shift loading of the gusset bearing housing                                                                                                                                                                             
Karey's Profile
Karey

In: Barnsley
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

JP says....tell the its due to the upward shift loading of the gusset bearing housing.....   I KNEW that .....Wacko                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ

I'm not showing anybody my gussett!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                              
DriftnSlide's Profile
DriftnSlide

In: Belfast/Larne

Simple really... Its a sequential gearbox on a bike.  Theres no other place to put neutral.  If it was between 3rd & 4th for example you'd have to change through 2 gears to move off from a standstill.  If it was before 1st gear you'd be hitting neutral on downshifts to 1st gear. Geek Big smile

dunans's Profile
dunans

In: southport

its the only logical place for it. unlike a car where u put it in neutral when u stop at lights etc u dont on a bike.u are meant to keep your brake foot on the brake when stopped and the other foot is needed to hold the bike up. theoreticaly if your in neutral on a hill u are not in control because u would have to take your foot off the brake to change gear to move off. when u intend to stop you knock it through all the gears to 1st so ur ready to move off again - if it was before 1st you would knock all the way through to neutral and have to change up again to be sure its in 1st. when u stop to park ur in 1st so only one gear away to neutral and when u get back on your only one gear away from 1st

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

It hasn't always been like that, it used to be fairly common for neutral to be at the bottom (N-1-2-3-4), but everybody changed in the 70s.

giantdog's Profile
giantdog

In: Derby

I never changed in the 70's LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
64% Karma64% Karma 64% Karma64% Karma

I'v had quite a number of pre. 70s and pre. 60s bikes and they have all had a 1-N-2-3-4 layout and all had 1st at the top and the gear change on the right hand side of the bike. It was't till the mid. 70 when i started to ride Japanese bikes that i found any difference.
Scorpio54's Profile
Scorpio54

In: Bodmin

Isn't it due to the fact that the selector forks in a gearbox generally sit in the middle of a gear box shaft so neutral had to be positioned where all cogs were disengaged and so it consequentially had to be between first and second or one away from top gear.

whiteairedfox's Profile
whiteairedfox

In: liverpool

Cos thats how they make them?LOL Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

In: Camberley
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

BJ, drifts response is the most accurate !!   sequential, for those who ask you, means that for each gear lever movement in the same direction (upwards) the next gear ratio will be selected in sequence. i.e. 2-3-4-5-6 (7) As opposed to a car, van, truck  H style selector, where you 'go through' neutral with each gear change.   As to the 1 down 4 up / 1 up 4 down / left hand gear lever / right hand lever location .. 1975 was the year that standardisation and safety reasons came into play so from then on all or MOST became Left hand gear lever location and down for first gear.                                                                                                                                                                             
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

iirc Yammie FS1-E 's had N-1-2-3-4                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I've ridden bikes with neutral at the bottom, neutral between 1 & 2, 1 up and 4 down, 1 down and 4 up, lever on the left, lever on the right, even kickstart on the left (which is bloody awkward). As Tony says they defined a standard in 75 for safety reasons and manufacturers slowly adopted the standard.

dunans's Profile
dunans

In: southport

FS1E was 1 up 3 down so was 1 n 2 3 4 , i had 2 of em lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
73% Karma73% Karma 73% Karma73% Karma

I can think of a few bikes in my time that had a neutral between every gear. Whether they were designed that way is another matterLOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

old farts pmsl........ sorry lads only messing couldn't resistLOL                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

Think I had that bike too wills always fun at the lights                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Wacko

Can I have a translator please ?                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

Small lever under your left foot                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6875 seconds. There are 833 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption