group Petition worked

12 Posts | Latest reply on 25/08/2010 10:20:18 by Rob1050 | Go to original / last post
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

got this email from a petition signed from this here site looks like it worked so they may just be worth signing folks this was the ruling bellow !           Overturn the ruling, A motorcyclist at the head of a group of riders   will face stiffer penalties for speeding under a crown court ruling                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Erm sorry Nealy I don't recall this petition.                                                                                                                                                                             
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

Government response Thank you for your petition relating to speeding penalties for motor cycle riders. Your petition refers to a recent crown court ruling which inferred that being a lead rider in a group of motor cyclists can be an aggravating factor when sentencing a defendant for a speeding offence. Minor speeding offences would normally be dealt with by way of a Fixed Penalty Notice, resulting in three penalty points and a £60 fine. More serious speeding offences are likely to be dealt with by a court. Where cases go to court a speeding offence may result in a fine and between three and six penalty points or a discretionary ban. The fine, which takes into account the offenders financial circumstances, can range from £100 to £1,000 for offences on non-motorways and up to £2,500 for motorway offences. Within the broad statutory limits set by Parliament, sentences in individual cases are a matter for the courts alone taking into account the circumstances of the offence and the offender including all mitigating and aggravating factors. We cannot comment on decisions made by the courts in the exercise of their judicial discretion, but we can explain in general terms how a motorist caught speeding might be dealt with by the enforcement authorities and the courts. Generally, the higher the speed beyond the limit, the higher the penalty imposed by the courts. Similarly, the number of points and the period of any disqualification goes up depending on how far the speed limit has been exceeded. For example if a rider was travelling in 65 mph in a 60 mph zone, the penalty is likely to be less severe than if he was travelling at 85 mph in a 60 mph zone. Sentencing guidelines for the magistrates’ courts suggest a penalty of three points and a Band A fine (25 -75% of relevant weekly income) for the former and a penalty in the range of four to six points, a Band B fine (75 – 125% of relevant weekly income) and a driving ban for the latter. The courts will also take into account any mitigating and aggravating factors they consider relevant. Sentencing Guidelines identify common aggravating factors such as speeding in poor weather or road conditions, speeding near a school or when carrying a heavy load or a number of passengers. However the list is not exhaustive and it is open to the court to consider any other factors it deems relevant in the individual case. The Guidelines can be viewed at: http://www.sentencing-guidelines.gov.uk/guidelines/coun...final.html   Sounds more like a whitewash to me. Leaving a decision to individual courts.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Nope still doesn't ring a bell, I don't recall this particular petition being posted on here before.   Thanks for posting it tho Rob Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

First time i've seen this so are they saying if a group of riders are all travelling over the speed limit the leader takes most of the rap or are they saying you'll get a bigger penalty just because you're leading by bad example?

Why is the fine much higher for speeding on motorways, surely thy're the safest road to speed on? Not that i've ever exceeded any of the speed limits of course!

Good post tho Neal Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

What motorways in the uk are some of the worst roads to drive on in the world. Uk drivers in general are the most inconsiderate I have ever seen, little wonder our roads are blocked and slow all the time, everyone gets on the motorway move to out side lane and stay there, they do not overtake then move back in and especially in the rain. Just inconsiderate and poor driving ability in general.
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

johnny I agree totally during the rush hour but usually they're ok roads. M1,M74, M62, M6 are brilliant. I know someone that recently drove from Alton Towers down to Coventry, stopped to drop someone off then back up to Co. Durham in less than 3 hours. We did just under 300 miles, great motorways Thumbs Up

If everyone would just leave bigger gaps then we could all move around freely. People hug lanes because once they move back in they can't get out again so it's easier to stay put. It's people that are sitting there with nothing in front of them and travelling at the same speed as the slower lanes that do my nut in.                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

cheers rob i didnt have that much info to post up  but it shows that some of the petitions we sign do actualy do some good  Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

I had seen and signed it.. Tho if I think back I think it was through FB that I saw the link to it, I agree it does come across as a bit of a whitewash however it is a change for the better from the original rules and that has to be a step in the right direction ... Doesn't it ???

As the saying goes ... From tiny acorns great oaks grow ... Or something like that lol
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
66% Karma66% Karma 66% Karma66% Karma

think i saw it on here shall try and find it                                                                                                                                                                             
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
66% Karma66% Karma 66% Karma66% Karma

found it :More county court borrocks, by Ghosthunter in Dec. 09 its now been locked out because no ones posted on it, maybe it should be brought back Mat.                                                                                                                                                                             
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

tbh I'm not sure the petition has worked.   There is nothing there to say the lead rider can't be prosecuted, based on the speed of following riders. It leaves the decision to the particular court, which is where the original problem arose.   Tho I think a decent solicitor could tear huge holes in a court that tried it on, if you can afford it.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.0313 seconds. There are 635 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption