Arizona switches off speed camera network

15 Posts | Latest reply on 26/07/2010 23:44:36 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

OFFICIALS IN Arizona have decommissioned the US state's entire speed camera network after complaints they were only in place to generate revenue and intrude on people's privacy.

The scheme has generated more than $76 million (£50 million) since its introduction in October 2008 and has seen a 19 per cent drop in fatal collisions on on the state's highways. However, anti-camera campaigners have spoken out against what they believe are Big Brother Police tactics.

The situation turned ugly in April 2009 when a motorcyclist shot dead a mobile camera operative  in a drive-by killing.

DG99's Profile
DG99

In: Nottingham
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

'The situation turned ugly in April 2009 when a motorcyclist shot dead a mobile camera operative  in a drive-by killing.'

Well thats one way to protest I suppose.  Now fellow BM'ers lets not stoop to these tactics in order to get rid of the 'Gatso Threat'.

Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

Hmmm .. would that work on our roads ?                                                                                                                                                                              
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

I always understood that the more gun-minded American states had given up on fixed automatic cameras since they were invariably shot.

Shooting a camera operator is a bit extreme but with Government policy not to allow so called 'safety camera' partnerships a rake off from the fines, camera operators will soon be on the dole. I hope DWP treats them suitably harshly and they remain unemployable.   
invalid characters's Profile
invalid characters

In: West Sussex
4% Karma4% Karma 4% Karma4% Karma

I think shooting's just a touch extreme.
Perhaps a more humane method over here?
Was the "shooter" from Alabama?

Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

"with Government policy not to allow so called 'safety camera' partnerships a rake off from the fines, camera operators will soon be on the dole"Thumbs Up From MCN's website yesterday:   http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/Gene...edundancy/ "Speed camera staff are facing redundancy due to Government road safety funding cuts.Camera bosses in Devon and Cornwall are making half their staff redundant after budgets cuts of 26%.The move means camera activity and fine numbers will reduce." Shame - notLOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

So...all the money that the government woulda made, from the fines, won't be made anymore, so what or who is going to pay for the loss in revenue?   No good applauding the end of the cameras and the fines that went with them, if they are going to hike up something else, such as road fund tax, etc yadda yadda.                                                                                                                                                                             
invalid characters

My guess is Kwak, it'll be incorporated into benefit cuts.                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Censored I'm already on the poverty line! What more do they want, BLOOD?!   Matt!? Do ya want a lodger? lol                                                                                                                                                                             
invalid characters

I'd think that's about right TBH.
Or is that me just being cynical?

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

The new council in Derby has got rid of a few speed cameras too !! Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

I think sentencing camera operators to long-term unemployment with minimal benefits is far less humane and far better deserved than shooting them.

The shooter of the Arizona camera operator could equally have been from Montana or Texas as Alabama.

As for where local authorities recoup their revenue, they shouldn't need to since it was ring fenced for 'road safety' which predominantly meant more cameras although there were a few constructive road safety schemes. At last the road safety = speed management bubble has been burst and maybe we'll get some interventions which genuinely contribute to road safety.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Its in Arizona!!! different culture, not the UK, nothing to do with us!!

Nothing wrong with safety cameras at all traffic lights in my opinion, if it effects benefits, tough! road users have to pay for the unemployed???                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

To be fair everybody has to pay for the unemployed, even the unemployed themselves, as everybody pays tax in some form.

I agree with the comment about cameras at all traffic lights, I think traffic light cameras are very different to speed enforcement cameras. Jumping red lights is bloody dangerous, while going 60 in a 50 limit is a lot less so. Guess they wouldn't make enough money from the traffic lights though.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Very good point GBeldon! It's an area with many pros and cons to be fair!                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6563 seconds. There are 632 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption