Settle an argument about restrictors

55 Posts | Latest reply on 29/06/2010 23:04:47 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

Ok I want help with an argument I'm having with Paul my bro about restricting bikes.   He insists that any bike restricted to 33bhp will run really badly and damage the engine due to the restrictor kit changing it from standard config.   He also thinks that restricted bikes can only get to 80mph or so and that it's the speed that's restricted, not the accelleration.   I say that it's the accelleration that's cut mainly, not the top end speed.  I also said that restricted bikes run absolutely fine, having had 3 myself already (1 GPZ500S and 2 ZZR600s).  When I was able to derestrict my ZZR it was the accelleration that changed dramatically, not top end speed.   So how can I have had 3 bikes, all restricted, run without any problems for years, never run rough, good top end speed etc.   I think Paul needs some more educated mates who wont keep putting crap information in his head.                                                                                                                                                                             
old red's Profile
old red

In: Norwich
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

As I understand it , it,s only the top end speed which is affected..Acceleraration should be fine..As you say Matt the 500& 600 range weren,t really affected..Should attain a top of about 90..I was told however that trying to restrict the higher cc bikes can have an adverse effect on them i.e 850 upwards would run like a bag o shite..
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

Does that mean the argument is a tie? lol                                                                                                                                                                              
VFRbabe's Profile
VFRbabe

In: Skye
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

As far as I understand, its the overall performance that is restricted, acceleration and top end speed.  If you get a bike restricted or unrestricted, the engine should also be retuned to get the optimal running conditions.                                                                                                                                                                                
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

As far as I can see with it, your not slowing the bike or altering the gearing, your just restricting the power.   So the gearing will still allow it to get there but the restrictor will mean it gets there slower.   125's will do 80 most of the time ... well some will Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

i had a 500 and 600 and the accelleration was crap with the kid installed (obviously with around 1/3 of the bhp available).   Top end was fine, well over a ton (in Germany of course lol).   I had the kit removed from my last ZZR and it set off like a rocket!  Totally changed the bike's accelleration.   They never run bad, though I can understand a larger bike running rough.   He has a bike that's 33.4 bhp or something and costs 200 quid to remove .4 bhp!                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

125's will do 80 most of the time ... well some will Thumbs Up   I'm glad you added the last bit Shell lol, my knackered old Taffy's top speed was 60 and that was downhill with the wind behind me; my first experience of working with a pneumatic drill Wacko                                                                                                                                                                              
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

i have done 10000 miles on my restricted bike, it runs really well,top end of 90+ not had a single prob with it. having ridden it without the restrictor before i bought it i can honestly say that for general riding there is not a huge difference cos in reality when do any of use  the whole bhp of our bikes?The big difference that i noticed was that when overtaking there was not enough power to do a quick nippy overtake with out faffing about through the gears and by then the opportunity has gone,but maybe this is a good thing for learners, its no great hardship to arrive 5 mins after everyone else but in one piece.Many times i have ridden 7-8 hours a day,with tbreak stops, the bike seems fine.Basically because you reach the end of the throttle way before the red line,cant exactly remember what revs,but its at about 1/4 of what it should be(will be different for all bikes) you feel like you are changing gear a lot but as an experienced rider said to me recently it makes you learn to use the gears properly.
vodkagirl's Profile
vodkagirl

In: Leeds

i had a CBF600 restricted and top end speed was not a problem at all it would easy top 100i didnt find any problems with it at all to be honest even with acceleration, i traded that in for a Suzuki gladius and that is restricted and i have found a difference with that, mainly as Julie has said when you go to overtake you dont have the immediate power you have to start dropping down a gear, a few of my biker friends have said that i`ll find a difference in both acceleration and power and the whole bike will run smoother when its off later on this year. I think the moral of the story is it depends what bike you have had restricted as to how its affected                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

anyhow will let you all know for sure on thursday Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
vodkagirl's Profile
vodkagirl

In: Leeds

I cant let you know until 1st October, by which time i`ll have forgot                                                                                                                                                                             
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

In: leicestershire

sounds interesting jj what bike is it?                                                                                                                                                                              
julie j's Profile
julie j

well sad to say its not the spangly fjr on my photo its a cbf500.........for now!                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

wow u posted that 6 times lol.  Ive removed the duplicates for u                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

cheers matey Ive deleted some too so should be interesting!                                                                                                                                                                             
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

jj are you getting a new bike or derestricting the cb?                                                                                                                                                                              
julie j's Profile
julie j

i will take the restrictor off and then get a few test rides.I`m quite open minded at the mo, having the cbf has made me realise that i want a fairing, gonna try a gsxr600 see what i think of that and then just take my time to have a look round.If i get a sports bike I may keep the cbf for hols cos its very comfy for riding all day
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

2 is always better than 1Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
julie j's Profile
julie j

it will be 3 LOL!                                                                                                                                                                             
DeeStruction's Profile
DeeStruction

In: Colchester

did you guys come to a conclusion?

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7500 seconds. There are 1028 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption