paint and plastics

17 Posts | Latest reply on 22/06/2010 19:51:55 by WheelyNealy | Go to original / last post
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

dose any one out there know how to get paint off plastic parst ie fairing pannels  theres a few realy bad layers of paint want to remove it then repaint from scratch    if i use nitromores  is it likley to ruin the abs plastics ? any ideas would be great guys n gels                                                                                                                                                                              
Nutkin68's Profile
Nutkin68

In: Hull

copied and pasted this off the web, this guy does it for a living, apologies for caps Confused appreciate it if a Mod can change it for me Thumbs Up   FIRST REMOVE ALL DECALS AND GLUE RESIDUE. SAND PANELS TO BE PAINTED WITH 400GRIT 3m WETSANDING PAPER FOLLOWED BY 600GRIT3m WET SANDIND PAPER. IF ANY INPERFECTIONS FILL WITH STANDOX PUTTY OR 3M GLAZING PUTTY. SAND PUTTY WITH 600 GRIT WET PAPER. CLEAN PANELS WITH DUPONT 3900 0R ENAMEL REDUCER. MAKE SURE THERE DRY AND PRIME WITH DUPONT 4004 ULTRA PRODUCTIVE PRIMER AND USE A GRAVITY FEED SPRAY GUN FOR BEST RESULTS.APPLY 3 WET/MED COATS.LET DRY FOR 2 HRS. RESAND ALL PRIMER SMOOTH WITH 400 3m PAPER AND THEN 600 3m PAPER. DECIDE ON COLOR AND YOUR READY TO SPRAY BASECOAT. SPRAY BASE UNTILL COVERED WITH EVEN WET COATS LETTING EACH COAT DRY FOR 5 MINUTES.FINALLY YOUR READY TO CLEAR 2 OR 3 COATS TO ACHEIVE DESIRED SHINE AND FLOW. STOP AT A DUPONT WHOLE SALE STORE AND GET SOME PRODUCTS AND PAINT.                                                                                                                                                                              
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

thank trace but the paint needs to be off coz it reacts with new paint  i think its been treaded with some inustrial crap mat paint like Hammerite it is  but thats good info there too                                                                                                                                                                              
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

Neal if you call me tomorrow I'll put you in touch with a coatings consultant Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

cheers RK Thumbs Up is that a posh term for painter nowdays ? lol
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

No he's a chemist that specifies different coatings for different materials, I can put you in touch with a good decorator though if you'd prefer Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

hahaha i aint wallpapering it mate although it may look better  LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
red_daytona's Profile
red_daytona

In: Northallerton

Regarding your old paint reacting with the new, you can buy an isolator paint which you spray over the old before applying the new paint. It forms a barrier between the two and stops any potential reactions happening. Obviously do any repairs and preparation, flatting off etc, first before applying. You can buy some called 'Barcoat'. Just ebayed a 1ltr tin, going for £13-15. Hope this helps.
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

Don't use nitomors niel. i ruined a belly pan once doin that. it melts the surface of the plastic. Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

cheersred-daytona  trouble is its got so many layers of paint all ready wich has cracked hence i wanted to take it back   but i could filler it   and spay caoting over as you say ill go find some and read up on it   blues i wont use nitromorse mate  if its going to melt the plastics    looks like an awfull lot of sanding need to be done then  as nukins  said  !    thanks guys                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

any body fancy a sanding party LOL                                                                                                                                                                               
old red's Profile
old red

In: Norwich
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

Next meet up Wheely we can all bring some 600gritEvil Smile..   We,ll get you startedClown                                                                                                                                                                             
whiteairedfox's Profile
whiteairedfox

In: liverpool

WN,used to paint bikes,and the only way i know is hard work mate,sorry,but it is the only way,what do you intend to paint with?there are a few different types of paintcheapest is oil paint,but it is very durable,and, gives off a really good shine that stays,if you need any help msg me,ok?edd.
laimdan's Profile
laimdan

In: Manchester

forget the 600 grit you need to get all that crap off your pannels try 120 grit use a machene on larger areas if u can get ya hands on 1  b careful not to dig the edge in try to keepit flat      once u got it stripped go over it with a bit finer paper about 320 grit  then apply 3 good coats of primer  make sure u get a primer suited plastic/fiberglass r not the same      when the primers dried then get the 600 out and wet flat this will take out any sanding marks showin through the primer then apply your colour again 3 coats then dependin on how fussy you are u can wet flat with about800 grit and stick a couple more coats on or wet flat with 1200 grit or higher and polish    i bin a paint sprayer for 26 years it realy aint  technical stuff good luck with it
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

cheers Ed  and bluejeans looks like hard graft the only way  to go then ah well lol
you say three coats of colour  even if im putting a lacquer coat on it too

tell you wot i didn't have this problem with seat hump but then there wer not thick yayers of paint cracking and falling off that peace
laimdan's Profile
laimdan

In: Manchester

wheely ifyour useing basecoat its very thin so still 3 fairly easy coats before lacquar you dont want to put the lacquar on and then relize its a bit see through when you get it out side if you use solid colour no need to lacquar it                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

Thumbs UpBig smileCool
Big smile                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5938 seconds. There are 767 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption