Low speed harley

13 Posts | Latest reply on 06/08/2010 20:03:47 by WheelyNealy | Go to original / last post
siauk's Profile
siauk

In: Cinderford
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hi, I have a 1986 1200 Sportster but it only goes 75mph, I have done a compression test and both firing fine and correct. When on the motorway it only does 75mph can anyone come up with any ideas?? I am stumped unless the fueling is wrong or someones restricted it somehow thanks                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

If it's running smoothly, no missfire, clean plugs that are the correct colour, etc. then that's bloody slow, even for a Harley. WinkAny sign of the engine having been stripped in the past? It's possible that it's been rebuilt badly, cam timing off or something like that.The review I just found says 64bhp/110mph standard, so ~75mph when restricted to 33bhp doesn't sound too far off. Any way you can check with the previous owner?Check that the throttle slides are opening fully. Check for washers installed within the inlet and exhaust pathways.                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

dose  it over heat because it could also be the advance retard mechanisum not moving properly allthough sounds like GBeldon maybe right  take pipes off and check for restrictions ect                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

There is a 33bhp  Kit for 883 sportys don't know about 1200's though. if it's fitted it'll be in the carb.If it isn't obvious like a restrictor stopping you from opening the butterfly fully or by making the bore of the carb smaller then try another carb.

Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

Assume you've just bought the bike, and never known it any different ?                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

was just going to say that we're all assuming you've just bought the bike from someone (in which case the 33bhp restrictor is most likely).   Otherwise if it's just started happening and you've had the bike a while... ive no idea lol.   Welcome to the site though!                                                                                                                                                                             
fxr swas's Profile
fxr swas

In: South Shields
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Have you changed the rear sprocket? with a different size/tooth count thus changing the gearing,just a couple extra teeth will rob your top end,whats the acceleration like?Does the engine struggle or sound/feel like its overrevving Your cam gearing should be factory colour coded to align them properly so nobody should be able to get them wrong.
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

Hi FXR, welcome to the site.   Not sure he's around anymore, as he hasn't responded since his first post.   Hope you'll stick around longer.  U might wanna give him a nudge.   Cheers                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

He is still about Matt and is still visiting :-)                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Not an American import by any chance? They run very weak to comply with super strict US emissions, Califronia models in particular are strangled to hell. Mate who used to live in CA brought his Gixer 750 (newer model, fuel injected version) over with him from the UK,  and it was way faster and had much better acceleration than similar Gixers of the same year floating around LA, which were strangled to death!! Just a thought....probably wrong!!
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

maybe he hasnt got bacl yet  as the bike is very very slow !! lol                                                                                                                                                                             
savanna's Profile
savanna

In: Cotswolds,Glos.

Wheely Nealy, i had to read that twice then , i was a bit slow too, but then it sank in and i still laughing , thanks for cheering my morning up ,Clap                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

haha ment to say " back"   lol my bad                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6113 seconds. There are 625 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption