Scottoilers.

15 Posts | Latest reply on 14/05/2010 16:25:19 by nawe | Go to original / last post
bikerbitch's Profile
bikerbitch

In: Denbigh/Leigh
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Advantage of the Scott-oiler. The Scottoiler chain lubrication system relates to the lubricating and cleaning of chains, specifically on motorcycles (and now push-bikes). In the past, a coating of oil or grease has protected the chain from wear and corrosion. However, road dirt tends to adhere to the oil and the combination of dirt and oil forms a grinding paste that increases friction of the chain and accelerates wear thereof. To prevent this from happening it is necessary to clean the chain often, which, until now, requires the chain to be removed from the sprockets and immersed in a bath of oil solvent. This is a tedious and messy chore, often leading to staining of the cleaners' hands and clothing. The chain lubrication system obviates, or at least mitigates the above, by enabling the chain on a motorcycle to be cleaned and lubricated whilst the engine is on. The current range of Scottoiler systems include the vSystem, the Mark7 Touring Kit and the new BMW F800/650 GS Kit specifically designed for the 2008 models of these bikes. I have the scottoiler system on my bike a GSR 600,and its great,only thing is you need to check it do's not leak! Thumbs Up but,certainly well worth having,                                                                                                                                                                             
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

In: Hinckley

agreed, well worth the money and you can remove it and fit it to your next bike.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Had them on most of my previous bikes and never had to adjust the chain on any of them until I got a new tyre fitted which was usually around 3000 miles                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I was handed a Scottoiler in a carrier bag when I bought my current bike. The guy said he took it off because he didn't like them. I decided to put it back and see what it was like, seems he actually took it off because the injector was kinked and blocked. Quick order to scottoiler.com, who were very efficient, and now it's working perfectly.People say they use them because it makes the chain last longer, to me that's secondary to the amount of time it saves with cleaning and lubing the chain. I don't think I'd be without one now.                                                                                                                                                                             
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

I've never had a scottoiler, can someone explain how it cleans as well as lubes??                                                                                                                                                                             
thehairyone's Profile
thehairyone

In: Boston

I have had a scott oiler on my current bike since new, 4 years on still on the original chain and apart from standard service adjustments, once a year, and topping it up it has been fantastic, but beware set the flow to high and you may end up with oil on your tyre, not so hot. 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

RK, there's a constant slow flow of oil directly onto the chain, so the excess oil gets flung off taking a certain amount of dirt with it. That sounds like it'll leave the back of the bike dirty, but I actually find I get less mess than I was getting from the aerosol lube.
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

Thanks GB, undy standy now so it must be best to clean the chain before fitting a scottoiler for it to work properly eh Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

I tend to have my scottoiler set a little high, just not high enough to cause any fling to get on the tyre.  This does mean that I get a bit of mess around the back end of the bike, but the chain is always beautifully clean and oiled.

My current chain has done nearly 30k and is just starting to feel ever so slightly clicky.  So a new one is probably gonna be required in the next few thousand miles.

But that ain't a bad life me thinks.                                                                                                                                                                             
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

Never had a Scottoiler. Just changed the o/e chain, at 32k miles.   Have had to get the hands grubby a few times thoLOL                                                                                                                                                                             
shangyou's Profile
shangyou

In: Devon & Berkshir

Well was going to ask if an oiler was a good choice for me tiger 955, I think I have the answer now thanks, but wait I need more brain advice, I see there are single and duel nozzle types, the duel does both sides of the sprocket, but ive read that as it is basically one down tube just spliting it does not always push oil through both outlets constantly, any suggestions on which one, and Im guessing to fit it you would need  to connect to a vacum pipe or is it just gravity fed?     Ta in advance D                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

It is gravity fed, but you need to attach a vacuum pipe as that's what activates it when the engine is running. The kit should include everything you need for most bikes, except for a few obscure parts needed in unusual setups. Apparently these are available for free from Scottoiler if you contact them. Thumbs Up I thought about getting the dual injector, then decided that there really wasn't any need as the single injector works fine for me. Maybe if you ride a lot in wet or dusty conditions you might need it.                                                                                                                                                                              
shangyou's Profile
shangyou

In: Devon & Berkshir

Thanks GB, was edging towards single tube so will go for that, as for riding in the rain I doubt if I will avoid that on the weekly Devon Reading commute Ying Yang                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

The dual injector is an add-on anyway, so it's not like you have to choose when you buy it, you can always get it afterwards.                                                                                                                                                                              
nawe's Profile
nawe

In: winsford chesh

i went the whole hog.. got myself the dual injector add on.. and the electronic version.. only pumps when you movin.. so no big build up when you stood still or just barely moving.. and no vaccuum pipes to cut or leak.. seems ok so far.. turning down the flow certainly keeps the back end a lot cleaner.. i'm down to a drop every 70 seconds now.. seems about right..so far...

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5313 seconds. There are 687 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption