battery chargers conditioners

15 Posts | Latest reply on 18/04/2010 09:54:58 by yamahama | Go to original / last post
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

In: leicestershire
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

i'm thinking of getting a battery conditioner\charger. are they any good? whats a good one? i have a bike with an alarm will it stop it from wrecking the battery through constantly discharging it?
all experiences opinions welcome.

ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

In: Hinckley

I have an optimate, worth its weight in gold.                                                                                                                                                                              
darkcarnival's Profile
darkcarnival

In: Blackburn
32% Karma32% Karma 32% Karma32% Karma

Another vote for the Optimate...expensive, but worth it, especially if you need to leave it a while.                                                                                                                                                                             
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

In: e.g.Hollingworth

Agreed, Optimates are brill. Used to keep the drag bike topped up on one of those... Worked a treat!                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

i can leave my bike for 6 months and there's no problem with it.   What problems do you guys face that the optimate solves?                                                                                                                                                                             
darkcarnival's Profile
darkcarnival

In: Blackburn
32% Karma32% Karma 32% Karma32% Karma

My alarm drains my battery summat shocking. Plus the fact its an old bike. If i leave mine more than 2 weeks before starting it, it just doesnt want to know. Now its in a more secure area, i can leave it a bit longer cos i dont put the alarm on, but i've had a nightmare with it this winter. I made the mistake of taking it to my mums where i could only get to it once in a blue moon. The alarm wasnt on for 6 months and it still drained the battery. New battery, new optimate and a carb clearing session later, it appears to be working ok now. Wont be doing that again!
micksaway's Profile
micksaway

In: Weymouth

yamahama I was told by the Aprilia dealer to always keep the Bat well charged as the starter gear can get knackered due to the high compression of the twin I had an optimate but it stopped working so I give mine a good charge the night b4 I use it if its been left for a while                                                                                                                                                                             
Scorpio54's Profile
Scorpio54

In: Bodmin

Optimate for me too! But also have an Accumate which is switchable between 6v & 12v so it's more useful if you have old Brit bikes too.   Rather than fit the all weather connector by the battery I fitted mine onto a fused battery connection into the top box. I bought a cigarette lighter holder & also a number of "race connectors" from Maplins and with a little soldering now have the ability to use a standard tyre inflator, phone charger, ipod charger etc. directly from the bike whilst camping.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

I got a cheeper oxford charger but i cant leave it on for more than a couple of days as it wont let the battery rest (ie constante charging) but the optimate charge then discharge a little as i understand so much better buy. and off topic but ken you may wont to delet that cus in barmouth you may have a few young ladys standing by your bike with a hair dryers lol
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

I have Datatool's version of the Optimate which came with the tracker that I had fitted to one of my bikes, now gone. I've wired plugs to the batteries of both the Bandit and ZX-9R and used it on them throughout the winter when they didn't get much use. Both have alarms/immobilisers and I've never had problems turning the engines over.

As micksaway said, they're essential for big V-twins and to a lesser extent for triples since the starter sprag clutch is their main weakness and they need to be turned over smartly to fire up. They're always a good idea for any bike.
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
64% Karma64% Karma 64% Karma64% Karma

Optimate every time, have a Accumate but its crap                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
73% Karma73% Karma 73% Karma73% Karma

I've got a banner Accuguard which does the same job. A must for older BMW airhead twins which need a fair bit of starting in cold weather.
I've also got a cheapo version from Lidl or Aldi, forgotten which, that I keep in reserve and only cost a tenner or so. Seems to do the job OK.                                                                                                                                                                             
returnee's Profile
returnee

In: Milton Keynes

CTEK for me - seems to do a brill job on the Firestorm that does need a good chunk of power to turn it over and can knacker a battery if it's not kept in tip top condition. Also de-sulphates - is that good?                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

I too have the Datatool equivalent of the Optimate and tend to swap it between my bike and Roachy's.  Although with me using the bike every day, it tends to be plugged into Roachy's most days.

It works brilliantly and makes sure the batteries are always in good nick.  When Roachy got her bike it had spent long periods sat unused and the battery wasn't in the best nick.  Indeed I nearly scrapped it at one stage.  A year later with regular use of the battery conditioner and it's as good as new again.

Got waterproof connectors fitted to both bikes for easy swap over of the conditioner.

Well recommended, every biker should have one in my opinion.                                                                                                                                                                              
yamahama's Profile
yamahama

In: leicestershire

thanks all for your comments very helpful                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5313 seconds. There are 1068 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption