cbr600 refusing to start

22 Posts | Latest reply on 01/02/2010 18:08:47 by ratbirider | Go to original / last post
willow's Profile
willow

In: Tyldesley
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

my r reg cbr600 was stood for 8 weeks. started fine and went on a 80+ ride out , no problems. two weeks later, went to start it and it ran on choke for 5 mins aprox in back yard then went parp...tried to start it again and ended up flooding it. friend came and cleande plugs and re charged the almost new battery. still no joy..............it is kept in a 9 by 10 feet metal shed (A  bit like a mini garage) it is covered up. any ideas !!                   thank you     xxxx                                                                                                                                                                             
willow's Profile
willow

80 mile ride i should say !!                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

sounds like you've got plenty of fuel. have you got good blue sparks on the plugs? Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
micksaway's Profile
micksaway

In: Weymouth

Could be dirt in fuel blocked jets                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

that'd be why it flooded then mick . lol Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

could be damp ignition box if its been running then left in a metal shed dose it try starting or dose it just spin till it gose flat ? other possibles are arlarm if fitted could be cutting the ignition with imobalizer                                                                                                                                                                             
micksaway's Profile
micksaway

In: Weymouth

Arnt choke Jets seperate from main jets Blues                                                                                                                                                                              
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

aye could be bloked cross over jets                                                                                                                                                                              
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

Willow said it died while on choke. i presumed that she didn't have it on choke after that but still won't start                                                                                                                                                                             
darkcarnival's Profile
darkcarnival

In: Blackburn
36% Karma36% Karma 36% Karma36% Karma

Willow - mine did exactly the same thing. After much buggering about, my so called good battery was goosed, and now having bought a brand new one, is running like a good un. Well at least i hope it is, i only put it on the bike on sunday <touches wood>. But after what seemed like eternity of turning over, it eventually fired and didnt sound any the worse for it. Will tell you next week if starts again lol
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

my triumph dont start after long periods of time unless i jump start it so dc you may be right there too  try putting some jump leads across it see if that works then you can prove the battery                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

have the plug top thingies gone back on in the right order ?   Ok so I may not know the names of what I mean but I do know if they are not on in the correct order then it wont fire propperly Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
sdv9r's Profile
sdv9r

In: Skelmersdale

Cbr 600 that are not fuel injected do have this problem of flooding easy more so if they are a grey import, i have seen many of them. They are very sensitive to fuel mix and blocking of jets.

When the fuel tap is off or in the vacuum type are not run regular the fuel will dry in the carbs and leave a power that blocks the jets.
Most of the time they flood and that fuel stays in the chamber, so when the plugs are cleaned and dried you put them back in and they foul straight away.

Take the plugs out and turn the engine over a couple of times then let the bike dry out for a few hours or over night. Warm the plugs refit them and put some fresh fuel in as unleaded that's been standing looses it combustibility.

Then start on full choke and no throttle, if it miss fires or runs on 2 or 3 cylinders (check this by feeling the down pipes if they are cold it's that cylinder that's not firing) pick up the revs no more than 5 thou and knock the choke off, it should run on all four cylinders.
If it doesn't miss fire and will not pick up on all four cylinders repeat the same procedure on the cold cylinder, failing that the carb will have to come of and be cleaned.

I hope this helps.
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

The first thing is to check its actually sparkin before we start strippin the bike down. Easy thing first. Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
sdv9r's Profile
sdv9r

In: Skelmersdale

Very true Blues very true.

whiteairedfox's Profile
whiteairedfox

In: liverpool

reading all the help that has been offered you should and probably will have your bike running very soon,but did you say there was any smell of petrol?in which case my mate also with a cbr had a the same proplem on starting,it turned out that it was the petrol pump not working so no petrol was getting to the carbs,hope this helps and good luck.                                                                                                                                                                             
willow's Profile
willow

no imoblizer thingy and battery fully charged..not sure what col plugs are but have noted suggestions and wil;l ask my friend to ave a look...tis a pain in the botty! plug thingys went back in right place , fuel in tank too!! it almost statrs but not quite..pressinig start button it makes the nosie like it is trying but just does not quite catch.. wish i knew someone closer to fix it !! ta for all your ideas..............all welcome xx                                                                                                                                                                               
willow's Profile
willow

ps.........i have printed off all suggestions so can see if any one near hear will ave a look at it ........ta xxx see ya all at rivi soon hugs xx                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

willow if it is trying to start then the fuel will have gone off in the carbs just try draining the float bowls and then try it                                                                                                                                                                              
thediver37's Profile
thediver37

In: Ruthin

Have you tried the ignition fuse to see if its broken, it could be electrical like the main ignition wire near the connector blocks.                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8440 seconds. There are 1701 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption