Cold tyres on cold roads!

19 Posts | Latest reply on 29/01/2010 19:46:11 by Bloggsey | Go to original / last post
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Just a nip of advice for newbie riders on big bikes out at this time of year. Your tyres take much longer to warm up and get their usual grip so beware on corners etc and be steady with the throttle or you'll end up with the back end trying to overtake the front as I discovered tonight whilst cracking the throttle open for an overtake Embarrassed

Anyway clean trousers on now so no worries but a good lesson learned. Your fork oil and springs will also take much longer to warm up so the handling isn't the same as in summer. (The mechanic pointed out to me that my forks were still freezing after 8 miles tonight).

Also bear in mind that all that green gravel at junctions and roundabouts is the anti skid surface broken up by ice and ploughs so easy on the brakes and try to use slightly more back brake than you usually would to keep the bike upright and steady by sharing the braking momentum through both wheels and less likely to slide Thumbs Up 

Apologies if this is sucking eggs but this is aimed at newbies like me Tongue                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

hehehehe you forgot to say that you are the rusty one tezza me old mate !LOL    i scrubed my new tyres in other weekend cold wet roads thankfully with out hicup hope you ok mate keep it sunny side upThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                                 
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

I'm sound as a pound mate, just forgot how different winter riding is LOL

I'll be riding it home like a 125 when I pick it up EmbarrassedThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

yes but think of how honed in you will be when the roads dry up and get warmer Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Ive had my back end out a few times ;)                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

my back end is out all the time sorry ....................                                                                                                                                                                              
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

Jackie shift your arse I can't see what seb is saying LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

he was wiggling his tush LOL  then sis came in and sat on him                                                                                                                                                                              
bikerbitch's Profile
bikerbitch

In: Denbigh/Leigh

LOL

Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

wondering if this thread should be given an 18 cert LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

I thought it might spark a flood of advice from all the experienced riders shell but it just rapidly turned to sh*te! LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

is it my imagination or does the engine run better when its very cold? shame if thats true and and i have to bimble along on dodgy tyresWacko                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

it`s the BM way, all threads turn to shite,thought I`d try and get it back on track.   think the one about profile photos is a lost cause thoUnhappy                                                                                                                                                                             
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

*it`s the BM way, all threads turn to shite,thought I`d try and get it back on track.*

Tell you what julie you mite be onto summat there! What if the author of a new topic can delete any of the posts in a thread so when it does turn to shit it can be cleaned up later to leave the relevant stuff in place Thumbs Up That way peeps can have a laugh but the author can keep things on track!

By the way the engine runs 'tighter' when it's cold cos the oils thicker. Once it warms up and the oil thins out the rattles start! LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
julie j's Profile
julie j

ahhhh, nice tight engine,maybe i need to direct a stream of dry ice at the engine!   so you reckon we need a shite moderator to moderate the amount off shite........interesting thought,is anyone whose online a lot a shite expert?                                                                                                                                                                             
Bloggsey's Profile
Bloggsey

In: Leeds

By the way the engine runs 'tighter' when it's cold cos the oils thicker. Once it warms up and the oil thins out the rattles start!   Yep, that n all the metal expands and ya clearances on the bearings etc get bigger. Ya can always try shoving sawdust in wi ya oil but I wouldn't reccomend it.                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

would that reduce the amount of shite tho?                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

and cold air is denser thus containing more oxygen so combustion is better QED better combustion better performance Geek yes there may be some shite in the posts but it you all stop griping and contributed instead it may just ballance out Confused                                                                                                                                                                              
Bloggsey's Profile
Bloggsey

In: Leeds

Ah Wheely the cold metal would effectively make the combustion chambers and the jets in the carbs/air intakes smaller though which may offset the denser cold air until things had warmed up lol. Big smile Shyte is just a matter or opinion ain't it?Wink                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7660 seconds. There are 1089 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption