Bike recommendation for touring

24 Posts | Latest reply on 19/01/2010 10:47:52 by darylt | Go to original / last post
darylt's Profile
darylt

In: Halesowen
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

Hi sorry if you have heard this question before but......

I'm doing my DAS training and hoping to pass ASAP, been looking at a few different bikes at the moment but just wondered what bikes would be good for touring.

Cheers

Daryl
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

There are so many to choose from, it depends on the type of bike you want there are many sports tourers out there and tourers, engine capacity and cost of insurance may be factor also your build and height, the only real way is to research and narrow down your choices then go to a dealer and try them out for size...this months Ride magazine has a top ten list of tourers, or just do a web search...... I have a VFR 800 Vtec sports tourer and I find it very good but its not everyones cup of tea...your bike is a very personal choice.... good luck Daryl
darylt's Profile
darylt

In: Halesowen
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

I've been reading Ride magazine loads and learning a lot, I like the BMW R1200RT, but may struggle as they are not cheap.

Also don't know if it might be daunting jumping in at the deep end on a big bike.

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

lol, yup BMW are never cheap, I would imagine the servicing costs are pretty high as well......what ever you buy check out the servicing intervalls and costs, some are a lot more than others...if you are mechanically minded you can do a lot yourself but if its a new bike it needs serviced by a approved mechanic to keep warranty...... and the price does change dramatically depending on where you take it....good to shop around but always give it a 3 - 4 weeks notice to book your bike for a service as at certain times of the year it is horrendeous
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
74% Karma74% Karma 74% Karma74% Karma

Older BMWs are pretty cheap to run for a home mechanic, with spares easily available and nothing too high-tech. By that I mean the airheads and the older K-series bikes.
Even so, we're still talking about a 20-plus year old bike here. Modern BMs, like many other modern bikes and cars, are a no-no for anything but the most basic home servicing and for anything else you've got to go to a dealer or good independent and pay accordingly.

Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Most Sports Tourers are capable of giving you more than a bike that just sits there for miles and miles, the bigger the Engine the less the stress on it and yourself, however you may want to reign back a little and settle for a smaller cc bike due to insurance in your 1st couple of years till you get 1. a bit of experiance (comes with miles and time) 2. that all important N C discount!  3. confidence in your own abilities.   Any bike over say 450cc is capable of doing lots on miles but comphort tends to come with bikes designed with touring in mind, a large shaft drive bike with matching luggage possably the best built for the task, but others will say that a Harley with it's low lazy reving engin low ctr of gravity and seats designed for americans can also be good to do long distances. Although Id never be convinced... just my personal opinion. There are a lot of "cruser styled bikes" that are better built and more reliable and with a lower starting price also lower insurance!                                                                                                                                                                             
Scorpio54's Profile
Scorpio54

In: Bodmin

If you google Harley Sportster there is an article that suggests it is a good tourer with enuf speed for most, so agrees with Hull750Rider's comments above                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

There's only 2 problems with touring on a harley. havin to go long enough to get to another county and the possibility that at least part of the journey it might rain. Geek                                                                                                                                                                              
fastjock's Profile
fastjock

In: Ripon

harleys expensive too ,

bandit 600 good allrounder , comfy , reliable , good economy , cheap insurance , s version wi half fairing for less wind blast

so many good bikes to choose from , have a good look round dealers they can advise u insurance groups , economy ect
micksaway's Profile
micksaway

In: Weymouth

You will know when you see it. Then you will find out why its wrong. Repete several times till you get it right then go back to start and do it all over again.   Never known being wrong so often to be so much fun.   Never found the perfect bike but sure as hell enjoyed the searching                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

well i nearly gave up on biking two years ago because unbeknown to me the bike i was riding was the wrong choise   i was feeling the roads had become a mine field  (which they are realy ) and that i didnt feel safe on my bike !   turns out that in 2002 i swaped my sports tourer for a cruiser i rode the cruiser for 6 years not quite happy with it dead comfy but some how wrong !   i put it down to me not being use to cruisers but it wasnt untill i sold  my bike  then later on bought a sports tourer again that i realised just how far removed from fealing the road cruisers realy are i have all my confidence back and im realy enjoying this bike and the way it rides so what im saying is try as many diferent trypes of bikes as you can and then you will get a better feel for what it is you like to ride   because it realy can put you off riding bikes if you get it wrong                                                                                                                                                                                
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I 100% agree with micksaway,,,,,,and still enjoying the search even though ive had my pan for over 2yrs (new record for me)                                                                                                                                                                             
Paj1369's Profile
Paj1369

In: Pickering (York)
14% Karma14% Karma 14% Karma14% Karma

I'd say go for a look at a NT650V Deauville,.. or 'Dullville'. They're shaft drive, allready have panniers, fairing and crash bars, just in case. I've had a couple of em, and done 4-6k on each, running em as winter bikes. They are very comfy, the tank range, if I remember right was good too, and you can get a wider size of pannier for them also, which makes em look a tad fat around the back-side!!    They can get the usual 'under the paint, alloy wheel corrosion' problem, and some have very poor exhaust pipes, (behind the heat sheild). Both of mine would go up to a ton, maybe with a little protesting but they would do it, but if your wanting to go that fast, get something more sporty!     The next two ideas are either Pan Euro, the 11 (a bit old now), and the 13, (still a bit on the dear side). Ohh,... and you would need a crane to lift either of em!!                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

I would agree with WN, you have to pick the bike that is right for you & that you feel right sitting on & riding.   Everyone will have thier own opinion & it may not be the right one for you.   My other half has a Bandit GT ... I hate the way you sit on a bandit & have gone for an SV ... my 125 is also a sports shape & I have fabric panniers for it so can still carry 'stuff' these I will move to my SV once I pass my MOD2 DAS.   Just cos you plan on touring may not mean that you want a tourer, I can ride my 125 forever even tho some do not like the seating position on it & plan on touring this summer with my other half on his Bandit & me on my SV ... fingers crossed the bloomin weather gets better.   Once you have passed your test have a word with your local friendly bike dealer ... dont tell him your just looking make out that you have the cash to hand & will leave with a bike if he has the right one for you .. I bet you get tons of help off him  lol                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

I'd first of all ask yourself how much touring you are actually going to do and how much "normal" riding you are going to do.

I've done a number of organised tours and I've seen people happily tour on anything.  I've seen fully laden Electra-Glides, big BMWs and Pans, and many "hyper" sports tourers (Blackbirds/Busas).  You get a lot of people riding big retro style machines because of the long range comfort, I for one have been all over on my CB13 and have managed over 700 miles in a day without too much trouble.

But I've also seen just as many sportier bikes with things like CBR6s being popular, VFRs, Triumph Sprints and a good number of blades, GSXRs etc.  I've even seen a couple tour Germany with him on a Fireblade and her on a SP2!  Ok, so she had to stop for fuel every 90 miles or so, but they did it and from what I can tell, had a ball.

I suppose what I'm saying is you can pretty much tour on anything.  As Hull has mentioned above, I'd stick to bikes around the 500/600cc or bigger as they cope better with long distances.  Plus they tend to be physically bigger as well which helps with luggage and allows you room to move around a little on the seat, which helps with those Iron Butt sessions when you have 500+ miles to do in a day.

Seriously, unless the vast majority of your riding is going to be touring, I personally wouldn't buy a Pan or similar (unless you decide it's your thing).

I'd buy a bike that you're happy with for everyday use and I'd use that for touring.                                                                                                                                                                             
bikerbitch's Profile
bikerbitch

In: Denbigh/Leigh

Daryl   I take it you are a new rider.. what cc of bike are you able to ride?     As this would determine which bike to choose first.                                                                                                                                                                             
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

Gotta agree with the last 2 posts.   Any bike will tour, but tailor the tour to suit the bike. In some ways, the more unlikely the bike, the more fun you'll have. I once went touring on a sports moped. Took a week to get round North Wales, but one of the best holidays everLOL   Can't say I'd ever recommend a big bike to anyone who's only just passed their test, insurance alone could be a problem, a 500/650 would be ideal.   p.s. World's best sports tourer <------------------------------------Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

holy crap, I've never seen Biker Match members being serious before!  Even had to put my drink down before I dropped it with shock!   Well done everyone for staying on-topic too!  Are you all sick? lol   Anyhow, my recommendation of course is the BLACKBIRD!!  I've had it for 5 years now and wouldn't swap it for any other bike in the world (maybe another one that's in kmph cos I live over the pond now).   I went all around Europe last year on it - France, Italy, Switzerland, etc).  It was absolutely amazing, and so capable.  With the bubble screen I didn't feel the wind until I was at ridiculous speeds.   The only problem might be the power and weight for a new rider, but it depends how strong and how sensible you are... a bike will only go as fast as you ask it to.   Photos of the trip... http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/events/event_photo...ent_id=160   Or go to my profile photos and click "Tagged Event Photos" or "My Bikes".   Cheers                                                                                                                                                                             
Rob1050's Profile
Rob1050

In: Redditch

LOL "I've never seen Biker Match members being serious before"   It won't last !!LOL       "my recommendation of course is the BLACKBIRD"   There you are. Told you !!ShockedPinch   WinkWink (Great bike - but for a learner??)                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

I would agree with the unless you are going to do almost exclusive touring/long distances to stay away from the big tourers.  I also agree with the 600 cc mark is probably about right for a newish rider.

So the 1st thing you need to do is decide on the style of bike, faired, half-faired or naked.  For touring/distance riding I would suggest either a faired or half-faired bike.  Will you be buying new, or 2nd hand, your budget, if you need pillion provision, even your inside leg measurement.

Then it comes down to what basically rings your bell, sports, sports-tourer, dual-purpose, roadster or Tourer.  Try them all on for size etc, generally most healthy people find that a riding position that is upright/slightly leant forward is most comfortable.

Sports bike, maybe an older CBR600, very comfortable, reliable, and cheap to buy/run  or maybe a GSXR750, usually same insurance as the 600 but lots of torque in comparison and also comfortable.

Sports Tourer, the CBR600F, same as above, or a Yam Thundercat, or a ZZR6.

Dual purpose.  Ever thought about something like a TDM, a lot of people will tell you that it is pronounced TeDiuM, but people who own them, love them, and they are extremely popular in Europe.  Also check out the versys from Kawasaki.  If you are buying new, then the BMW F800GS gets great write ups.

Roadster, this is probably the biggest class, there are bandits, some naked, some half-faired and even a fully faired one.  They are generally very reliable, cheap to run and there are plenty around so you can find a good one. 

Suzuki also do the SV650, but these are a Vtwin, so not everyone gets along with them as the engines are definately characterful.

Honda do a hornet, but the tank range is a bit small.  The also do a CBF600, its a great new rider bike, and is comfortable over the distance, cheap to run.  I had one as a hire bike whilst mine was repaired. 

Yamaha have the fazer and FZ, the old ones I have heard good things about, the new ones not so much, but they have also brought out a new diversion, which seems to be getting good reviews.

Kawasaki have the ER6-f which is a great little bike, as long as you are not going to carry a pillion, then they can struggle.  There is also a Z750 if you want to carry a pillion.

Tourer.  There is really only one middleweight tourer, the thats the deauville, which paj has mentioned above.

All in all, get out there, find a local bike meet and get talking to riders, most of us can bore the socks of you about bikes,  (as you can tell, some of us more than others Wink) read the bike press, search the internet, there are plenty of opinions out there.

above all, enjoy

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.1406 seconds. There are 1133 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption