Petition against proposed motorcycle road tax increase

67 Posts | Latest reply on 02/02/2010 20:49:36 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
jeanzqueen's Profile
jeanzqueen

In: Fife
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

... still waiting on the confirmation email to sign... Maybe they've recognised the email address and thought "Oh no, not her again!"  Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
jeanzqueen's Profile
jeanzqueen

In: Fife

Got it, signed, and also on FB Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Jeez, I've advised on this twice in the past on this site!

This was raised as a possibility in the pre-budget report of whenever, but the final changes to vehicle tax announced in 2008 did not include anything to do with bikes.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/How.../DG_172916                                                                                                                                                                             
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

I did say so Geoff (not in so many words but as you can see we still like to think we are doing something!!!) lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Wraith750's Profile
Wraith750

In: Stevenage
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

Yep,signed that one alright!
Robbin`BCensoredds

geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

I stand corrected.  Tax is indeed going up, but to be fair, only by £4 max.   I personally think that bikes have got away lightly with the recent road tax increases.  Just ask those whose tax has increased in 2009 from around the £150 mark to over £400!                                                                                                                                                                             
jabecs's Profile
jabecs

In: London

All signed !!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Bloggsey's Profile
Bloggsey

Done                                                                                                                                                                             
trikerider552's Profile
trikerider552

In: Reading

Done and added to FBCool                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

...  Tax is indeed going up, but to be fair, only by £4 max.   ONLY £4? That's a lot of money to me, in fact it's all I have to last me for 2 weeks, so in that respect it aint a lot lol. So, any increase is a bummer to some of us.     'Poverty is relative' aint that the truth?                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

I personally think that bikes have got away lightly with the recent road tax increases.  Just ask those whose tax has increased in 2009 from around the £150 mark to over £400   Personally I do not see why when Car Tax is supposed to be relative to the size of your engine, the emissions you put out & the damage that you do, this cannot be put in retrospect with bikes.   I have a car that is a bigger engine than my bike, pumps out more CO2, is 2 years older than my SV but it costs 1/2 the price of my SV to tax!                                                                                                                                                                                 
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

"I have a car that is a bigger engine than my bike, pumps out more CO2, is 2 years older than my SV but it costs 1/2 the price of my SV to tax!" Actually, you'll probably find that your bike has much greater co2 emissions than your car.  Co2 emissions are directly related to fuel economy; SV650 45mpg, your car is 70mpg. Motorcyclists are pushing the government to look again at motorcycle tax and in my opinion they're doing this without any consideration of the consequences. Personally I don't want them to!  There is a serious risk here of the government deciding, on the back of this stupid petition that they include motorcycles in the tax based on emissions racket! My bike does around 35-40mpg, which puts it in line with something like a 1.8 Honda Civic which costs £150 a year to tax. I ain't signing the petition so when we are all paying £150 a year in a couple of years time because of this petition, none of you can blame me.  You want someone to blame, look in the mirror.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

writetoride.co.uk/emmissionsbasedscheme070909.pdf   This shows what would happen if in fact bikes were taxed in the same way that cars are, in fact meaning that a lot of bikes (some as high as 800's) would actually fall into the lower brackets, not higher ones. (down near the bottom)   Andrew Davis, director at the Environmental Transport Association said: ?A doubling of tax for motorcycles that produce less than 100g of CO2 per/km makes a nonsense of the revised rates of vehicle excise duty - it appears that motorcycles are subsidising the new zero rate of vehicle excise duty for the lowest-polluting cars. At a time when we are struggling to meet emissions targets and high petrol prices, a case must be made for motorcycles that produce less CO2 than cars and use far less fuel.                                                                                                                                                                                 
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

That's a very good post shell.  That supports my point.  That link shows that there are parties in Europe who are already pushing for motorcycles to have their emissions at the least published.

The next step?  Tax based on emissions.  And what that table suggests is that although some motorcyclists may benefit from reduced tax (predominantly those in the £48 bracket and below), many will have their road tax more than doubled!  Indeed this paper suggest a possible tax bill of £155 a year for many, compared to the current £50/£70 from April this year.

And what we also have to consider from that paper, is that only five types of motorcycle were tested, three of which could be considered as relatively budget, fuel efficient, commuter vehicles (the F800 easily averages 50mpg+).

I would suggest that the vast majority of larger bikes (600cc and above) would have a similar, if not worse fuel economy to the VFR and as such would be amongst those made to pay substantially more for their road tax.

That is a very good paper and one that all of us motorcyclists should be finding scary.

Indeed, that paper suggests that instead of petitioning against the current increases, we should be gagging those writing papers such as these!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

But as I said Geoff ... the way its worked out now is wrong, it should be the same as a car, if you have one with high CO2 emissions then it should be a higher tax.   In todays day & age we should all be doing what we can & if we choose to have a bike or car that is pumping CO2 into the air then we should pay more.   Not just a blanket well your bike is this big so your paying this as that is not the way that cars are taxed.   OR ... god forbid   Car tax should be in line with bike tax well your car is this big so this is what you pay, but with the EU hell bent on emissions thats not going to happen.   **oh & my bikes emissions are lower than my cars  they have been checked, as a 2007 bike it had to meet the new rulesThumbs Up**                                                                                                                                                                               
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

So you're saying that us bikers should pay more road tax?? Okayyyy! I presume by "new rules" you refer to the new Euro 3 requirements?  Remember that these only dictate overall emission limits and not limits by particular model. parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200607/cmselect/cmtran/698/698.pdf I'd be impressed to find that the emissions of a 650cc motorcycle are less than those of your car, but I'll take your word for it.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

I am saying that it should be one rule for everyone not seperate rules, there is lots of evidence that bikes would actually pay less.   Geoff I am not going to get into a public slanging match about what I own & its emissions lets just say they are my vehicles and I know.   I object to you putting personal info regarding me & what I have in posts, please refrain from doing so in future.   I would PM you but as you know I am unable to do this for reasons that you are also aware of.                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

I am intruiged by this, have trawled the net trying to find out what the emissions of my bike are,cbf500 just incase anyone knows ! I would love to be able to compare it to the car just out of interest the bike does a few more miles to the gallon than the car, not much tho.   Does a 1000cc car cause as much pollution as a 1000cc bike, i know its prob not easy to make a comparison, which is more efficient in terms of the weight it call pull etc?   Would love a technical explaination on numpty level so that i have some chance of understanding it Confused                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Lets keep this friendly...new year new start peeps !!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

Ian I think you prob have about the biggest bike engine on here, what is its MPG and do you have any idea what your average family 1600cc cars MPG would be?                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6563 seconds. There are 838 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption