Christmas Folklore, Myth and Legend

16 Posts | Latest reply on 16/12/2009 22:16:06 by Brummie Jackie | Go to original / last post
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

When you think of Christmas, do you wonder about the folklore behind the symbols of the season? Is the candy cane just a delicious treat, or is there a legend lying beneath the candy coated sweetness? What about the Twelve Days of Christmas and mistletoe –what myths could possibly live beneath the surface?

Franklin Pierce, the 14th President of the United States was the first president to bring the tradition of the Christmas tree to the White House.

Calvin Coolidge started the National Christmas Tree lighting in 1923.

What would Santa be without his reindeer, especially the most famous reindeer of all? The story of Rudolph was written in 1939, by Robert May, an advertising copywriter for Montgomery Ward in Chicago. May was given the task of designing a promotional that would be distributed by Santa to customers. He wrote the story of Rudolph, in rhyming couplets, which he read to his daughter. He grappled with the name, thinking Reginald sounded too British and Rollo too comical. He decided on Rudolph, which was the preference of his four year old daughter. He got the idea of this reindeer being picked on by its herd from the story of the Ugly Duckling. An artist friend of May's, Denver Gillen, after observing reindeer at rest and at play at the local zoo, created the character we know and love today.
savanna's Profile
savanna

In: Cotswolds,Glos.
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

hi, yes a lot of food for thought there, i'll get the cobs webs removed and remember some of the answers, i did have them but that was years ago and the brain cells have deteriated since then , will get back to you with a few ideas,                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

Thro my letter box I got the church pamplet and in it was The Twelve Days of Christmas and what each gift represents     The partridge in a pear tree was Jesus Christ.   Two turtle doves were the old and new testaments.   Three French hens stood for faith, hope and love.   Four calling birds were the four gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.   Five gold rings recalled the first five books of the old testament.   Six geese a-laying stood for the six days of creation.   Seven swans a-swimming represented the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit, prophecy, serving, teaching, exhortation, contribution, leadership and mercy.   Eight maids a-milking  were the eight beatitudes.   Nine ladies dancing were the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit, love joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control.   Ten Lords a-leaping were the ten commandments.   Eleven pipers piping stood for the eleven disciples.   Twelve drummers drumming symbolised the twelve statements of belief in the Apostles’ creed.                                                                                                                                                                                 
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

PML that should be 'pamphlet' I dropped me aitch lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield

pity Cassie aint on anymore as she'd probably have all the answers - however, the Christians nicked the old winter/pagan festival & turned all the 'celebrations' of that festival into 'christian' meanings. So the original Christmas folklore, myths & legends probably have more to do with the 'old' celebrations rather than the 'new' Christian celebrations (if you see what I mean! Confused )                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

You're all wrong - Santa isn't a story, he's a REAL man!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

Father Christmas as we know him today was the brain child of the ad guys at Coca Cola lol                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

In: Blair Atholl

Ermm Erm..... that is disputable BJ.... lots of differing views and opinions on that one....
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

TC like many things appertaining to xmas me thinks lol i think that ones funny                                                                                                                                                                              
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

I think it's crazy how people believe in the existence of mystical stuff like Santa Claus, the Bogeyman, the Loch ness monster, the clitoris....                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

* note to self get TC copy of the 'Joy of Sex' lol                                                                                                                                                                             
kaw600's Profile
kaw600

In: Doncaster

Clapall humbug roll on sunny bikeing daysBig smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Not so crazy TC - I've seen Santa Claus, the Bogeyman, and the Loch Ness monster...                                                                                                                                                                             
Wraith750's Profile
Wraith750

In: Stevenage
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

Beware of rather large man with rosy cheeks & big white beard,dressed in red outfit asking if you want to see his baublesLOL

He`s probably on a sex-offenders register in your area.

TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

Do you not think we are giving kids mixed messages?   We tell them not to talk to strangers and certainly not to take gifts from them, yet once a year if they see a strange man in their room leaving them presents we tell them "don't...say...a...word...."                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

Does he come into your room then ?   Should i make sure my hair is ok ?                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5938 seconds. There are 1009 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption