Yamaha XJR 1300

43 Posts | Latest reply on 29/10/2009 22:58:01 by WheelyNealy | Go to original / last post
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

XJR  would be abit of a let down after your bike RK CB1300 would be better but exspensive option ZRX1200 good middle ground bike and cheaper too best bet is ride em all and see witch you prefer  as i bought a bike purley bassed on press and others segestions and allthough it was a good bike it did not suite my style of riding at all so good luk bud get ur arse out there and try before u buy !                                                                                                                                                                             
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

It seems that when anyone asks about a specific model of bike on these forums, others seem to want to flog you a Honda. I encountered this when I was asking about the Daytona 955i with the models of Honda suggested being totally unsuitable for what I wanted. It's not that I'm inflexible since I ended up with a Kawasaki ZX-9R with which I am very pleased - so far.

However, the XJR 1300 that you're considering seems to be over priced for a bike of that age/mileage and I agree that the CB1300 is probably superior to the XJR if you want a big naked retro. The Kawasaki sounds a better proposition but all these bikes are spoilt by primitive twin shock rear suspension and in most cases, a total lack of wind protection. Have you thought of the half-faired 1000 Honda (with the detuned Fireblade engine), 1250 Bandit S or the Fazer 1000 for the same sort of money?  They're good all-rounders with plenty of grunt and some weather protection making them easy to ride all-day and in most conditions.    
fastjock's Profile
fastjock

In: Ripon

Buy a Bandit 1200 , comfy , reliable(bullet-proof gsxr11 engine) , great handling(can keep up wi sports bikes on the twistys) , cheap to buy , cheap to maintain n cheap to run(50mpg solo , 41mpg 2up) .                                                                                                                                                                               
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

the mans got a point                                                                                                                                                                              
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

In: West Yorks

Geoff's got the half faired CB1300 as you know and I'll leave him to comment on it from a rider's point of view if he wants to.   From a pillion's point of view, I think it's pretty comfy. It does have fairly high pegs but the seat is quite high too. I get a great view with Geoff being only little unlike on other bikes where I only see the back of a helmet. The down side to that is you do get some buffetting from the wind at speed and the CB1300 can shift.   Good luck finding what you want.                                                                                                                                                                                 
Nutkin68's Profile
Nutkin68

In: Hull

or the Fazer 1000 for the same sort of money?  Cataraptor - Rusty's wanting to swap his Fazer thou Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                                    
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

In: Newton Aycliffe

I've got a Fazer Thou Cata and it's a lovely bike but suffers from very soft suspension with a pillion on. I took my older son on the back a month or so ago and the headlights were pointing skyward, just as well it was daylight! I'm used to it solo and haven't even bothered to adjust it but looking to do a bit of touring next year and need something a little more capable of carrying a bit of weight Embarrassed

I like the look of twin shock so providing they keep a gap between my ar*e and the rear tyre i'm quite happy. Which model is the half faired Honda?

fj there was a Bandit at the rally that caught my eye but i've never really liked the look of the naked Suzuki engine so maybe a bandit with a honda engine is the answer!
Nutkin68's Profile
Nutkin68

I'm used to it solo and haven't even bothered to adjust it but looking to do a bit of touring next year and need something a little more capable of carrying a bit of weight Embarrassed You speak for yourself dear !! Tongue As you know I only travel light with minimum creature comforts.......Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

I wasn't talking about the weight of your comforts Nut, my weights over the front so it looks like you've seen through my diplomacy LOL

RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

Aah Roachy I was talking about geoffs bike last night cos I really liked it but i thought it was an XJR!

I need to swat up on latest bikes I think Geek

Roachy's Profile
Roachy

Nope, it's a CB1300s. Richard (Napoleon) has the naked version (in black) and I think it looks a completely different bike. I prefer the half faired version but I'm not keen on naked bikes full stop.   I bet he'd happily give Tracy a test ride on it...not sure he'd let you take it for spin though! lol! LOL   Bluesbiker has one as well so he could give you his take on it too.                                                                                                                                                                              
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york

Good luck with your bike hunting Terry..and i agree with Ian regarding the Blackbird its an excellent sports tourer,have a closer look at one if you can i dont think you'll be disappointed...                                                                                                                                                                              
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

Well hopefully they'll read this post and tell me a bit about it Thumbs Up

Tracey, get your arse on Napoleon and give me the verdict when you get back Thumbs UpWink If he agrees of course!!

RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

Thanks exc, I'll deffo have a look at one Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

LOL RK, I meant Geoff would! Evil Smile   Oh and the Blackbird...I love them. Again as a pillion I rate them highly but can't comment on anything else.                                                                                                                                                                              
Nutkin68's Profile
Nutkin68

I'd love to have a test ride on Geoff's bike Rachel, thats what you meant, who's Napolean ?!! - keep saying we have to all get together one weekend, what a great excuse Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
Nutkin68's Profile
Nutkin68

I wasn't talking about the weight of your comforts Nut, my weights over the front so it looks like you've seen through my diplomacy LOL   Never heard em called that before Confused                                                                                                                                                                              
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

I think you've misread my post Nut so I'll quit while i'm ahead Cool                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

The CB is a good bike.  I do miss my sports bikes sometimes, but never enough to give up the big CB.   The front suspension is quite soft from standard, although according to MCN it still handles better than either the XJR or GSX, never having ridden either I can't comment.   Being used to VTRs and VFRs I noticed the soft front end (oo-er) straight away but a trip to Maxton for a respring and valve sorted it immediately.  They also set the rear shocks up properly for me for free.   It's easily the comfiest bike I've ever ridden, let alone owned and I have done some serious mileage on it without a problem including once a 700 mile journey back home from central Germany in a day with nothing but fuel stops.  Admittedly I was totally cream-crackered after.   It does 40-45 miles to the gallon and can manage 200 miles to a tankful if ridden very steadily (or 140 miles if ridden like a nutter).  170-180 is the norm.   It handles far better than a bike of it's size and weight ever should and has fantastic brakes.  Overtakes are done very easily indeed, just leave it in third or fourth and ride the torque.   The only downside is that it doesn't accelerate as quickly as I would like sometimes, but then again it's 'only' 120bhp (mine's been played with slightly) and weighs in at around a quarter of a ton on the road.   So, it ain't ever gonna accelerate like a modern sports bike.  I'm a member of the owners club and they have a forum run by a funny guy by the name of BBM (big bike maniac).  One fella once asked how to make his CB go and handle like a Fireblade.  BBM replied instantly with "Simple.  Sell the CB and buy a Fireblade."                                                                                                                                                                             
RustyKnight's Profile
RustyKnight

I am a bit concerned about the acceleration Geoff as I enjoy the power when i'm solo. Other than that it sounds a great bike to have a look at Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7813 seconds. There are 963 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption