Biker Night Vision

17 Posts | Latest reply on 19/10/2009 13:49:16 by ghosthunter | Go to original / last post
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

AN AMERICAN motorcyclist has got a step ahead of many motorcycle manufacturers' future plans by developing his own a night-vision system.

Darren Haley, 34, has developed the system in conjunction with Flir, a leader in thermal imaging technology.

“I did it because I could and wanted to see what the response would be,” he said.

Haley insists his system, which has a bar-mounted display in front of the rider, enhances the rider's view of the road ahead, rather than distracting them.

“I use it like I would a rear-view or side-view mirror,” Haley said.

An infrared camera is mounted at the side of the bike, feeding information to the GPS screen.

The system is so effective, Haley uses the screen to navigate when oncoming car drivers forget to dip their vehicle's main beam.

“The display allows you to see the lines of the road without having to look at the car and blinding you,” he said.

The system is still in development, although Haley has put 9,000 miles on the prototype.

Haley estimates the system can be produced and sold for around $2000 (£1225).
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

A bit steep but a good idea. Maybe in time it will decrease in price.   Thanks for posting it Jackie.                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

wow we could all see like Arnie astalavista baby Cool                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

Don't want to sound picky Bj I don't think flir is a company.Ermm FLIR is an acronym for Forward Looking Infra Red. It's been around a long time in the military and police in many applications.Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

GeekGeekoh blues you GeekLOL                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

In: Blair Atholl

pssst blues - check out flir.com Wink (the website for FLIR Systems Inc.)                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

I thought i'd get in before wills and catoraptor saw it. Geek    I like to be helpfull. read annoying.Approve                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

Hmm... only difference is that Wills and Cataraptor would probably have been correct... LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

Thats wot ya get not checking your facts.Embarrassed   It is an acronym as well. Not suprising that a firm that uses the technology took their name from it.   eer, Gotta go now motogp is on. Big smileGeek                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

heheh... wanna know who wins? Evil Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

fingers in ears. NA NA NAGeek                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

AND THE WINNER IS...                                                                                                                                                                             
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york

If you snooze you lose and i missed it ..damn..who won? also 2nd and 3rd please? will it be repeated again today.                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

You've already missed the repeats on BBC2 but it should be on the multiscreen using your redbutton (not the one that turns the tv off!) or on BBC iPlayer...   Won't say the results just in case people are still coming in from their rides... ;)                                                                                                                                                                             
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york

Thanx TC                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

Hey i'd wear it Tongue                                                                                                                                                                              
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

In: Hinckley

Pretty old hat idea, Mercedes fitted it to the S class years ago and it was quite good but very distracting. A lot of stuff I test has proper military grade night vision and its a proper sod to drive by as your spacial awareness goes out the window.   I would have thought someone would have invented an ultra violet system by now for bikes. Far more effective and you keep your eyes on the road.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7969 seconds. There are 721 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption