Changes at Harley Davidson

22 Posts | Latest reply on 25/10/2009 13:42:23 by excalibur | Go to original / last post
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

In an astonishing move Harley-Davidson has stopped all Buell production and no more Buells will be built – ever! The announcement was made this afternoon by company founder Erik Buell himself in a video posted on the Buell website. A clearly emotional Erik Buell thanked customers for their support and said he was very proud of what the firm had achieved in the last three decades, that all customer bikes’ warranties would be supported by company owners Harley-Davidson and that a limited supply of machines were still available at Buell dealers. In another astonishing development, it has emerged that Harley-Davidson is to sell Italian brand MV Agusta with immediate effect. The news follows the shock announcement of the closure of Buell – also owned by Harley-Davidson – and confirms the crisis that has enveloped the historic American marque. Harley has also just announced a further worldwide drop in sales of 21 per cent and an 84 per cent decline in income compared to a year ago.                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

One less tractor on the road LOL     Just saying it whilst others only thinking it lol ...   PS .. sorry Paul lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Buell's are a cool looking bike such a shame that Harley are doing this as a finality rather than a mothball solution to a finacial crisis, as for MV bloody hell.................. Pretty sure MV will be resurrected by a consortium or just re born at some point in the future as they are a very nice machine.   Maybe a Buell with a Vmax Engine will arise in time? lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
73% Karma73% Karma 73% Karma73% Karma

Bet you any money HD have kept the rights to the Buell name.                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

In: Blair Atholl

Good news is I could get an 1125CR for £5995 OTR....                                                                                                                                                                                 
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york

Andy i say you are correct about rather mothballing,i cant see this being the final days of either bike but i also cant imagine the new vmax motor in a Buell lol                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Thanks for posting this Jackie Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

I bet they keep the bits of MV they want too. like the design studio. It'll be the fist time they've made any new bits since the mid seventies.Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
ukspark's Profile
ukspark

In: Bishop Auckland

Well as I have posted before I learnt to ride to ride a Buell.  I'm in love with my SB9SX 05 CityCross.  I guess it will last my biking life out but I'm still gutted at the decision.  I just hope some organisation gives Eddfie Buell the necessary funds to persuade HD to let him have Buell again, Roger                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

I am sure Buell will re-emerge eventually.  It was after all a huge success for HD a few years ago tempting many non-HD riders onto bikes using their engines.   I've never ridden a Buell but I have been told by a number of trusted sources that they are excellent bikes.   Shame.                                                                                                                                                                             
babyharley's Profile
babyharley

In: Nottingham
10% Karma10% Karma 10% Karma10% Karma

....shocked!!!.....now did I get out of HD just in time or should I have hung on to her I wonder?............plus disputes about challenging directorship within my Chapter so maybe meant to be................still cant believe it  all tho!!! Shame...............Buells great bikes too............Unhappy                                                                                                                                                                             
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

In: Hinckley

I've ridden a few Buells and was rather impressed at thier qualities, design and innovation.   I also liked the fact that someone had bothered to put a good engine in something that handled. It was the American version of a triton if you think about it. And while we knock H-D they do make a punchy motor.                                                                                                                                                                                 
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

Correct me if wrong but did'nt HD design and build the 1st v-twin? it looks good, sounds great and will be with us forever. long live Harley Davidson.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

I believe Porsche designed the first evo engine for them from ally,the japs do the electrics,parts made in Taiwan. Very American.                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

Have just been reading about what dire straits HD really are in!   Not surprising if it takes them 6 weeks to get me a feckin' rear light!!                                                                                                                                                                             
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

Thats the way of the world now unfortunately RD ,apart from the German input(which i believe is on one engine design only (v-rod by Porsche)the rest is costcutting but i can be wrong here too.                                                                                                                                                                             
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

I love my bike but the quality when used as a practical bike leaves a lot to be desired. The paint is falling off my bike just due to rain and wind (not a pressure washer!). I am sure once i have taken it apart and rebuilt it to TeeCee specs then I will have nothing to grumble about.   Yes, there are cheaper, faster, more reliable, better finished bikes out there but haven't yet found one that stirs the soul like this one...                                                                                                                                                                             
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

A good friend of mine dropped his HD 1640cc thru a diesel spill on a twisty,his quote to repair +_ 6k pounds (solid bike indeed)the incident destroyed nerves in his right shoulder so he'll never ride again but is having it rebuilt for his 23yr old son to take him pilly on it..apart from being a true biker he was also a guitarist for a local SA band so one can imagine his pain physically and mentally.I'll try and post a pic of "Dean"and leave it on my profile if OK with the mods..a small tribute to a good friend.
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

Dean on a weekend getaway with myself and 6 other riding buddies,just us on the bikes doing route 62 for a break from the family's and city stress...him and his favourite german pisspot helmet which nearly cost him his life                                                                                                                                                                              
TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

Dammit, exc - always sad to hear about an accident like that! Hope Dean is managing to cope. Won't be long before he is back on his bike I hope, albeit as a pillion.   Just a thought but I am sure I have seen handlebar conversions for one-armed riders and was only yesterday reading about the legal aspects of fitting hydralic assistance to handlebars... Depends how comfortable his arm would be in that position if he wanted to get back to riding himself.   p.s. if that is your V-max in the background, nice ride!!                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.0938 seconds. There are 606 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption