Daytona 955i Info Please

17 Posts | Latest reply on 05/08/2009 06:38:46 by Cataraptor | Go to original / last post
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Those who read my posts will know that I am well hacked off with my Aprilia Falco. On paper it should have given me what I wanted as a fast road bike capable of travelling long distances and doing the odd track day but with poor service from the original dealer like failing to derestrict it, a number of niggling faults which are common to Aprilias with the latest being resetting the tacho + or - 1200 rpm and more than its share of bad luck, I need to get something else before it kills me or I take a big hammer to it. Unfortunately I didn't learn about some of these issues until long after buying it and then got a "they all do that" when something goes wrong. I'm also sick of being told how lucky I am having such a distinctive and unusual bike and "mine never gave any trouble."

So, I have in mind a 2002/03 Triumph Daytona 955i to replace it. Looking at some forums and the press, everyone rates it highly with the only potential problems being high oil consumption, seized brakes and less performance than Japanese 1000cc sports bikes - which is not a problem for me. However, the Falco is also highly rated and allegedly virtually problem free. And I know that's not true. So, is there anyone with experience of the Daytona 955i who can give me an honest appraisal and cite the problems I could expect with a model of this age, please? In the meantime, I'll continue ferreting in the owners' web sites.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

hi cat, my opinion of triumph is still that they are still way behind the jap bikes, my brother in law worked there for 13 years, and he said they are getting there.....but i would still not buy one, but each to there own....how about a blackbird...not that i am biased in anyway
prof's Profile
prof

In: Bradford
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

Well I love my SpeedTriple 2000 model, no major issues with it, although you missed the "spongy front brake" issue which seems to be a Triumph trademark. The brakes are excellent but lever is soft and lots of trave,l takes some getting used to the feel. For a better idea of common issues have a look at the forums on http://www.triumphtorque.com  formerly T595.net friendly bunch and very informative site.                                                                                                                                                                             
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

Thanks Prof that's really helpful. Having a quick look at the site, some of the not so well publicised weaknesses have already been mentioned most of which shouldn't affect the model years in which I am interested. I'll be delving into it more later.

Ian, I'm after something sporty but not too extreme to replace the Falco and the Blackbird is too much of an all-rounder for that. Besides, I already have an excellent all-rounder - a Bandit 1200S, which I'm not looking to replace at the moment.

Any more input would be very welcome.
prof's Profile
prof

In: Bradford
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

Cata, if you register and post specific questions like "known issues with 2002/2003 Daytona" you will get a number of responses. Amongst them will be regular advice/argument as to whether yellow or black ones are faster but there will be some useful answers.   Under no circumstances post a "what tyres" thread unless you want to be flamed to death!!                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Honda VTR1000 Firestorm.   Not as extreme as an SP1 or 2, but still a massively capable road bike.  Very underated in my opinion.   The suspension is reasonable quality but as with most production bikes benefits with a couple of hundred squid thrown at it in the form of a respring and revalve for the forks and a new rear spring better suited to the rider.  Maxton did mine and it was transformed.   If you are wanted an extremely reliable, excellent road bike that is both sporty but comfortable enough for decent mileages and you like the V-twin experience, a VTR would be my choice.   Either that or a Blade?  Ok, I know they're very common, but that's for a reason.                                                                                                                                                                             
moonstone's Profile
moonstone

3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

I used to pillion a firestorm they are lovely bikes but not as comfy as the falco I also pillion .  Not pillioned a 955i so any feedback on that as well? ( Just in case cata wants my butt on his 955i if it comes to fruision)                                                                                                                                                                             
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

In: e.g.Hollingworth

Cata, Blueboy955i (Mark) has got one of these.  Don't know what year it is, but he should be able to give you an insight into any issues he's had.Smile                                                                                                                                                                               
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
69% Karma69% Karma 69% Karma69% Karma

moonstone:  Not pillioned a 955i so any feedback on that as well?   moonstone I have been pillion on Mark's bike, just the once, and don't recall it being uncomfortable. (mind you a comfy ride also depends on the rider, if they ride with consideration for their pillion the journey is more comfortable)   Also ask Cassie, she's Mark's partner (in crime) and has pillioned his bike more                                                                                                                                                                               
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

There have been some developments in this saga and thanks to those of you who've passed on information. I've been in touch with Blueboy955i who, in fact, has a Sprint although what he could tell me was positive and I've been on the triumphtorque forum which has also provided useful info. Being open to suggestions for alternatives, I don't think any of the Hondas suggested fit the bill. The Firestorm is allegedly very thirsty and has too small a tank for long distance riding. Anyway, the Falco has put me off V-twins What I am now considering and will shortly be having another look at is a Kawasaki ZX9R which, as something of a Luddite appeals since it has carbs rather than fuel injection and still produces similar power to the Triumph. It also looks pillion friendly for Moonstone who has also seen it. So, before I take a test ride, has anyone any information on this model, particularly any problems that I'm likely to encounter since I don't want any negative issues coming as a surprise?
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

would that not be a bit too leany over like in a race riding position....ie wrist ache, back ache                                                                                                                                                                             
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

No, it's more upright than the Falco which is already far from extreme. This will be primarily for fun although I would like to travel long distances on occasion. A friend used to commute into London on one without any problems until a t**ser in a 4X4 wrote it off. Besides, for serious long distance work, I have the Bandit.
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

You may have gathered from the Random Rant thread that I have exchanged the Falco for another motorcycle. In the end I went for a Kawasaki ZX-9R. The forums relating to the Triumph Daytona 955i suggested potential problems with starter sprag clutches and charging systems which seem to be a problem with Aprilias and Ducatis so I thought it best not to go there. Besides, there was a dealer with a nice example of a ZX-9R in stock.

The insurance was sorted out in a few minutes on Monday requiring a relatively small payment to go up one group. You would think some facility would be in place to provide (at least temporary) cover at weekends. After all most people who go to work are likely to buy and sell motorcycles on Saturdays.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who provided information on the subject. 
excalibur's Profile
excalibur

In: york

Cata ,very glad on your behalf , wishing you many hassle free miles on your new wheels.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

how is the riding postion...is it not like a race postion.....instead of a touring position ??                                                                                                                                                                             
Retrowheely's Profile
Retrowheely

In: Swindon

Hey cat, didnt have you down as a ninja man! Hope you enjoy it!!!   2wheely                                                                                                                                                                             
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

Now I've got rid of the Falco, I suppose I should be Cataninja but it doesn't roll off the tongue so well. I'll get a pic of me on it on my profile as soon as I can get someone to take it.

As for the riding position, it's more upright than the Aprilia but more lean forward than the Bandit. I'll have to have the seat reupholstered with a gel pack since over distance my botty starts feeling the strain. Otherwise it feels fine.

And yes, let's hope for some hassle free miles.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.1094 seconds. There are 753 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption