Honda XL125V bit of oil leak

35 Posts | Latest reply on 19/06/2009 21:42:56 by bikerchick1966 | Go to original / last post
bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

In: Derby
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Found a slight oil leak on me Mini V...NK kindly came round as he lives locally to see for himself...the bottom gasket of the twin head nearest to seat is ok..but there has been a slight leak in a lip there..which looks like a bit of recess... Any ideas folks what might be causing it...(before trying to rectify it Im hoping to change oil filter and oil)...and how to rectify it please?   Thanks!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

It might just be a blown gasket? but if it is, its likely to be oil pressure thats blown itErmm In which case it'll need replacing Unhappy  But the "good" news is, if its not been under pressure where its leaking from, a smear of clear silicone sealant should suffice Smile Bit difficult to diagnose without seeing it Ermm Could be several different things Rose   Any way you could show a picture ?                                                                                                                                                                              
Newkid's Profile
Newkid

In: Watford

Update:-

It appears to be coming from the base of the rear cylinder, just underneath the cam chain tensioner, where there's an approx 5mm circular recess on the main crank casing. Damn it, should have taken a pic, Pinch. Not leaking much, just that its making a mess on her drive! Front tyre at 15psi wasn't helping her ridding either, now shes soon gona be getting her knee down by the look of it, LOL.

bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

Thanks for that NK....!!!Thumbs Up   Yep you KNOW I will be getting me knee down very very soon!!! LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Anybody missing a point here? You've just bought this bike (if dealer) take it back and tell em to get it sorted, or several thousand bikers will hear of how you feel they ripped you off lol.                                                                                                                                                                             
Jansky1960's Profile
Jansky1960

In: Grantham

Sorry Rose can't help, my idea of mechanics is to phone a mate - luckily a few of my mates are HGV ftter's. Hope she will be better by Monday, keep putting oil in it!!!                                                                                                                                                                              
Jansky1960's Profile
Jansky1960

In: Grantham

Newkid's Profile
Newkid

In: Watford

Just took a load out, was overfilled, we thought it may be that was causing it, alas no!! Private purchase HR, no dealers on this one, but the leaks diddy but messy, so topping ups not a prob.                                                                                                                                                                               
bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

Hence HR I didnt dare take her all the way to Whitby til NK and I sort this problem out....thanks anyway...still leaking though.....and I need that oil and filter changing now!                                                                                                                                                                             
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

In: Hinckley

is it leaking from the tensioner? I only ask because it would not be unusual if the bike had its tensioner replaced at some point as rather a lot were defective, try tightening the tensioner housing a little.                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Oil leaks are always a "worry" on bikes Disapprove but if it makes you feel any better, some VERY famous bikes have had oil leaks and still Won the TT Big smile A good old saying from my youth was ...   "if its coming out, its going round" Thumbs Up   So apart from leaving its "mark", dont worry Rose its not "terminal" Em Cool                                                                                                                                                                             
bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

Hey Ghosty I havent got a blooming clue...will have to consult NK...   Em....hope it isnt cos shes me pride and joy...and I cant stand the thought of losing her!! SAD I know!!! Goodness knows what Im going to be like with a bigger bike when I get my test done!!!   After being pilly with the faster lot yesterday its made me yearn for something with ummmmph!!!!!!!! Evil Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

Going to have a quick look at oil level in moment and see if she is leaking still...will report back later...TTFN                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Be careful out there Hug                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

hey emz...after doing the work on rosies bike..and looking for a leak..i think its just coming out of the breather pipe buddy                                                                                                                                                                             
Karey's Profile
Karey

In: Barnsley

* Ahem* I was going to suggest it may be the breather.. as Ziggy had a slight leak and it turned out the breather clip had come lose.    Thanks Mr P for noticing that .. and he hasn't leaked since! Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

Thanks Ian Em and Kaz...lets hope so!!!! Its great news Kaz to hear Ziggy is up and well again!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

Still leaking oil ConfusedCensored                                                                                                                                                                             
bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

Latest opinion....someone has cross threaded bolts on lower casing and thus the bottom gasket needs replacing..now I'm no expert but I'm scared of being ripped off! Is this an expensive job?...Could anyone help me please...pretty please?                                                                                                                                                                               
crowcat's Profile
crowcat

In: chesterfield

have timesrt kit if needed not far away let us all know like the news letter!                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7188 seconds. There are 685 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption