Dumbest thigs you've done while workingon or cleaning your bike

22 Posts | Latest reply on 30/04/2009 19:51:53 by moonstone | Go to original / last post
Retrowheely's Profile
Retrowheely

In: Swindon
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Ok a long title, but try ab in it to a short one?Confused So whiles trying to make me RD200 go faster,I decided to clean the baffles out! Mate of my dads said the best way was to cover em in petrol light it and the oily goo will carbonize and be easy to wire brush off? Under the watch for eye of the old man, off i go, rag, fuel, baffle... So, lights the baffle, hand now on fire, crabs the rag to put out hand, rag and hand now on fire. Runs round the garden like a made bloke carrying the olympic touch whilst the old mans rolls round the garden, peeing himself! Think iv learnt abit since then,Ermm                                                                                                                                                                              
meza95's Profile
meza95

In: Widnes

while cleanin the bike many yrs ago...left the hose pipe running on the floor while washin another part of the bike..didnt see the damm jet was actually fillin my exhaust up with water!!..ARGGGGGGGHHHHHH lolol                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

This didnt happen to me and I suppose its not funny when it happens to you Ermm but a young mate a good few years ago decided to grease his chainThumbs Up  Nowt wrong wi that, credit for trying to maintain it. But he thought it would be easier to do it on the bottom run with the bike on the centre stand and the engine running Shocked  All was going according to plan, when he spotted a "kink" in the chain as it came round Unhappy So without thinking he tried to squeeze it between fingers and thumb Shocked (fingers on top thumb underneath)   Yep youve guessed it !!   Fingers straight between sprocket and chain Cry Luckily he didnt lose any digits Wacko but what was he thinkin Question                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

It must be a 'guy' thing lol                                                                                                                                                                              
njl's Profile
njl

In: Hungerford

When rebuilding my bandit I decided to put the engine back in on my own, with 'rudimentary' tools used a few bricks under to work it up to the right height, didn't go in without slipping off a couple of times and marking up the newly powder coated frame.  Not recommended!
njl's Profile
njl

In: Hungerford

Or last Friday morning when setting out for work was convinced the solenoid I've been meaning to replace had given up altogether , tried whacking the back panel around it and swaying the bike side to side, until I realised I'd used the kill switch the night before.

Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Wrap the frame with old rags Thumbs Up and lay it on its side (the frame) if you're on your own Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Took my carbs apart to clean them. Re-assembled them, and was feeling well-chuffed. Then I noticed the left over washer.                                                                                                                                                                             
Hull750Rider's Profile
Hull750Rider

In: Hull
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Put bike on ctr stand to lube chain with bike running and in gear........     what happened next????     (oh no not the loss of a finger or thumb) did not realise the rear was touching the deck due to the floods here making my paving settle at differant heights....... as I clicked the gear lever down she shoots forwards and falls over breaking the clutch lever Angry                                                                                                                                                                             
Newkid's Profile
Newkid

In: Watford

Wasnt cleaning, but bros mate Noddy, LOL (Nickname), was push starting our Greeves 250 go-cart. Didnt know his hand was on the chain guard, ouch! His thumbs was OK after quite a bit of surgery though. Thumbs Up

Soz, cleaning/service, stupidest thing was the contraptions we cobbled together to get car engines out, thinking about it, then working underneath. Luckily nothing happened there!! Thumbs Up

Oh, yeah, bros got me sticking my figer in a spark plug cap, while he turned it over, that hurt! LOL

Older, wiser now, I hope, LOL.

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Many years ago a friend was burning out his exhaust when he sucked instead of blowing,dodgy with hindsight but well funny at the time.                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

I have been told by my other half to post about the time I replaced the fork oil in my old XJ900 with 25 weight instead of 2.5!!   It was very firm ...                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

Myself and a friend did once convince this young lad on his 125 that his generator was in his forks.   Outside Redbeck Cafe in Wakefield, this poor kid couldn't get his bike started despite repeated kicks.  We went over and told him the battery was low and that the generator was in his forks and that everytime they go over a bump it charges the battery.   Two minutes of frantically pumping the forks up and down and the lad gives the bike one more kick and it starts!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

In: West Yorks

You rotter!   Poor kid, sounds the sort of prank I'd fall for...                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

Not anymore unfortunately lol!                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Nice one Geoff LOL An Newkid, I had the "spark test" done to me by my bro Embarrassed   One time cleanin a BTH magneto slip ring wi a petrol soaked rag, finger in rag, finger in hole an turn the armature wi other hand Thumbs Up   an it burst into flames in me hand Shocked Embarrassed Confused Well funny LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

In: e.g.Hollingworth

Had a friend who took the baffle out of his FSIE exhaust. Stuck a bean-pole up the centre of the baffle to clean it, and snapped about 12 inches (30cm for any youngsters) of bean pole off stuck inside the baffle (i.e. the full length). Then he tried burning it out!!! LOL                                                                                                                                                                                 
Dragon13's Profile
Dragon13

In: Billingshurst

When my ex went to charge the battery on my CBR, and didn't notice an ickle tiny bit of hay on the battery he was going to use to charge it...............therefore attached terminals the wrong way round! Big bang...........ex on the floor.............main fuse on bike blown!LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Newkid's Profile
Newkid

In: Watford

Talking batteries, my bros once went to check the battery levels in the dark. Didn't think twice about using a lighter, blew the top off the battery, acid in his face. Good job we were around to hose him off, he was OK all be it very red faced, LOL.                                                                                                                                                                              
fastjock's Profile
fastjock

In: Ripon

Whilst cleaning my bandit discovered that i had run out of heavy duty grease remover , back wheel was pretty well caked up with chain lube , has a root throu garage to see what else i could use , turps aha that should do the job , it did wonderfully and at he same time was taking the paint off argghhh fk bugger . Angry

Have had the spark plug test too , was only 13

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.0938 seconds. There are 1084 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption