numpty question

18 Posts | Latest reply on 15/04/2009 20:15:33 by prof | Go to original / last post
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

so after a long fun packed day out should my brake discs be getting very very hot?                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
71% Karma71% Karma 71% Karma71% Karma

They should be pretty hot immediately after riding...not red hot, but easily too hot to touch comfortably.
Just make sure you don't have pads dragging on the discs, but that should show up in increased petrol consumption anyway.                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

thanks will, if i am pushing the bike with the engine of i can just hear a slight metalic scraping from the front wheel                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

That's fine Julie.  If it's hard to push at all then it's a problem.   Simple way to check if your brakes are sticking ... hold them on as hard as you can for at least fifteen seconds, then try and push the bike around.                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

cheers Geoff, will give that ago, its just had its 4000 ml service so i would expect it to be ok.                                                                                                                                                                             
Newkid's Profile
Newkid

In: Watford

Do you have a centre stand? If so pop it up, on a flat surface & see if the wheels turn freely, when the brakes are off. The back will be harder to turn, because of the chain drive & gearbox. On big bikes, the rear will only probably do one & half full turn, when spun as hard as poss, is the guide, for butch men, LOL. The front, mine does about 6-7, but think that's really damn good. Big smile

Hold on, we can do bets on the number of spins, LOL.

julie j's Profile
julie j

will need big butch man to hold front end up while i spin cos no centre stand, and scrawny mechanic who sorted my chain out lifted the back of the bike with one hand and spun back wheel quite easily with the other, i was very impressed! ps lol at butch, havent heard that used in yrs!LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
timhall's Profile
timhall

In: LOWER DUNSFORTH

The slightr mettalic scraping doesn't sound good. Are your pads worn down to metal? If it's due for a sevice, it might be a good idea to have pads replaced.                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
71% Karma71% Karma 71% Karma71% Karma

If it's the gentle sound of summat just brushing the disc ever so lightly that probably is nothing to worry about. But a metallic scrape and grind that gets louder when you squeeze the brakes should certainly be investigated. At least pads on a bike are easily checked.

julie j's Profile
julie j

so what do you reckon is average life span of brake pads, bear in mind that i am a scatty newbie and its not the smoothest most accomplished braking technique ever seen, Tim i dont think its a drastic scraping.                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

You should have a very slightly metallic scraping noise coming from the discs Julie.  Honda use sintered metal pads, which basically means the pads contain metal particles "bonded" together using a "sintering" process.   This makes the pads very metallic, which when then brushed against the disc make a metallic scraping noise.   As Wills says, if the sound gets particularly louder when the brakes are applied or if the brakes are sticking at all, then they need further investigation.   As far as life is concerned, anything from 12,000 to 20,000 for the front is normal depending on how much you use the brakes and perhaps twice that for the rear.                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

Have a look at the knee pads on yer jeans julie. if there's scrape marks or you've noticed em getting closer to the ground going round bends. That'll be the reason why yer brakes are hot. Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
tangoman60's Profile
tangoman60

In: Weymouth

hot pad's = one hot totty rider!!                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

oi you two, dont know how proximity to the ground could poss, affect the temp of me discs, can see that it may set me knees a smouldering and put a grin on my face but tend not to brake whilst cornering so dont think its a factor, of to the garage to examine pads forthwith !
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

Is thwith a problem all pads can suffer from? Should I check my pads for thwith?                                                                                                                                                                             
prof's Profile
prof

In: Bradford
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

Thwith is a condition that only affects drum brakes Geoff, Julie will not find any thwith on disc brakes                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

Drum brakes?  Isn't this what happens when the guitarist does a solo?                                                                                                                                                                             
prof's Profile
prof

In: Bradford
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

Duh!! - That's the signal for a trip to the bar!                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7813 seconds. There are 1086 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption