Forking oil seals

7 Posts | Latest reply on 16/04/2009 01:46:49 by Emzed | Go to original / last post
njl's Profile
njl

In: Hungerford
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

When I first got my bandit the guy selling it said it needed the fork oil seals doing, so did them myself with a little help from the local bike shop to separate the leg. All was well for a couple of months but one side started leaking, so I decided to take them in to be done by the shop this time.  I've only had them back on for a month and now both legs seem to be leaking heavily!  The bike is getting on now but I don't see anything in the chrome where it travels that would ruin a seal, they did charge for 2 hours labour so I'd have thought they would have sanded out any blemishes.  Grr, back to DIY again.

Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

Have you checked to see if the stanchions are straight bent legs can wear seals prematurely! Also never fit new seals dry always lubricate with a littlte fork oil when assembling Thumbs Up Otherwise check the legs with a steel ruler to see if they have any surface blemishes which are not immediately visible, (hold them horizontal with a light behind if you can) If they've been "cold" straightened in a press with "V" blocks they may have "ripples" which cant be seen with naked eye Disapprove Which is why "rolling" straight is the professional choice (when new is not an option due to availability or price) Good luck Em Cool                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Blimey EM,just what I was going to say Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

I might have known you'd know all about bent legs HG LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

This is just a test, I have selected topics from last 3 days in "drop down box" topics seem to be back! I think I selected "today  in an earlier session" Em Ermm                                                                                                                                                                             
njl's Profile
njl

In: Hungerford

Thanks Em, tbh I think I've been over optimistic in the serviceability of the chrome on them, partly why I took them in to be done - i'd have rather they told me they'd need rechroming than just do the seals.  I'm torn between trying to get another s/h set or get the stanchions  chromed or replace them, options in rising degrees of cost I think. 
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Oh, and HG, you sarcastic little madam Tongue LOL PMSL   Brill, cheers girl  Thumbs Up Clap   (I was actually trying to be helpful for once) Ermm                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.3438 seconds. There are 1222 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption