Brain picking time!

15 Posts | Latest reply on 24/03/2009 09:40:15 by Sandi | Go to original / last post
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

In: Hinckley
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

i'm about 11 years out of touch with learner rules and regs.   A relative of mine wants to ride a 125 scoot to work. He is 60 and passed his car test 35 years ago. he has always had M/C entitlement on his licence.   My question is: does he have to sit a CBT or does he have grandad rights?                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

As far as I know he goes straight to the part 2 test, as his provisional entitlement does not expire till he's 70! This is the same rule for me as my car provisional alongside my full bike gets me straight to the test centre Big smile   I dont think I have to sit the theory exam?   anyone clarify?                                                                                                                                                                                  
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

In: West Yorks

Does he have full category A or just provisional? My understanding is those that passed their car test before 2001 have full moped entitlement upto 50cc, for up to a 125cc you need a CBT. If passed post 2001, everyone needs a CBT.   If however he passed his test at a time when (if) full catagory A is given automatically (is that what's happened?) then I wouldn't have thought he needs anything although it would be recomended if never been on the road on 2 wheels before.   I had a full car license with provsional cat A (and full 500cc entitlement) but I still had to sit a theory test for my A2 test and I *think* even if I'd taken a more recent car test with car theory, I'd still have to take the bike theory one.   That's my understanding anyway and probably doesn't help one jot!                                                                                                                                                                              
darkcarnival's Profile
darkcarnival

In: Blackburn
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

I shall try and find out at work today GH Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

Thanks DC, I thought he did not have too. his entitlement is only provisional and he has no intention of doing his test. I can remember having permenant provisional status on my car license because I passed my car test before the CBT came in, IE I could ride on L plates with no time limit.
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

u always need a CBT with a provissional, even for <125cc i think                                                                                                                                                                             
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

I've only ever seen pre and post 2001 on any website including DSA etc so if he has provisional A entitlement and wants to ride a 125cc scooter he'll need a CBT to validate that entitlement.   This will allow him to ride on L plates, not carry a pillion or use motorways etc etc. Valid for 2 years and then he'll need to repeat it to stay on the road.   Everyone (who doesn't have a full motorcycle licence! grrrr @ Geoff! Wink) needs a CBT for over 50cc and under 125cc.                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

I don't!                                                                                                                                                                             
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

I had a full car license with provsional cat A (and full 500cc entitlement)   Oooooh...I wish!! Wishful thinking or a typo? LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
nina's Profile
nina

In: Barnsley

i think roachy is right as far as i've been told " in order to put a scooter /motorcycle under 125cc on the road we now have to complete the cbt "                                                                                                                                                                              
darkcarnival's Profile
darkcarnival

I've spoken with a mate of mine Wink and he says that yes a CBT is required regardless of when you passed your driving test for a 125cc. Your licence must be a typo Geoff. When you check someones licence on PNC then it says whether or not you have passed the CBT and exactly what entitlements/endorsements/points/bans etc you have/had. To chance it without doing a CBT would be daft, after all its only £90 and a day out. Hope this helps Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

Cheers for confirming the info DC.   I think Geoff was just being a smartarse regarding my *anyone who wants to ride over 50 up to 125 needs a CBT* when in fact I meant anyone who hasn't already passed their full motorcycle test!   Shall I hold him whilst you kick his oh so smart arse?  Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
darkcarnival's Profile
darkcarnival

Would be a pleasure! LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

Cheers DC thats cleared it up.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers.aspx   http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/index.htm                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5313 seconds. There are 1022 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption