frozen exhaust stud

28 Posts | Latest reply on 31/03/2009 12:42:36 by julie j | Go to original / last post
tamaz's Profile
tamaz

In: Airdrie ATM anyw
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I have a exhaust stub stuck in a bike and looking for suggestions for its removal, leaving hacksawing it off and drilling it out as a last resort. Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

TeeCee's Profile
TeeCee

In: Blair Atholl

Hi Tamaz.   If there is any thread at all left on it you could screw two nuts down on to it until they are locked against each other and then try a socket and big lever on it.   Another option even if there is no thread but depending on a lot of other things, is to weld a nut onto the stud and once again use a socket and large lever.   Good luck!                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

just be careful with your two nuts and big lever, i think that there could be health and safety issues                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
69% Karma69% Karma 69% Karma69% Karma

Ooo err missus!!

Seriously, I had a similar problem a few weeks ago and I used a stud puller, one of those things that grips the stud all around and can be undone with an ordinary ratchet drive. The studs came out easy-peasy.
TC's welding method is also a tried and tested one. Just let everything cool down and with a bit of luck the heat will have helped anyway. Goes without saying that plenty of penetrating oil like plus gas the night before will have been applied!
Good luck.
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

oi Wills pls can i borrow your stud puller when you are done with it? I missed out on the free member offer.                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

Methinks the studs I want to pull and the studs you want to pull don't have too much in commonSmile But you're welcome to borrow my equipment any timeWink Just return it in the condition in which you'd like to find it.                                                                                                                                                                             
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

In: Hinckley

In the interests of politeness I'm saying nuffin! lol                                                                                                                                                                             
tamaz's Profile
tamaz

Cool guys, i hadnt heard off a stud puller, i will try the two nuts idea first though, there are some threads on stub, if not enough i can always thread it. Failing that will get a stud puller.

Julie you ahve a dirty mind :P :)

sumodwarf's Profile
sumodwarf

In: billericay

i know this sounds silly but put some coke a cola on it,it does work                                                                                                                                                                             
GSXRJim's Profile
GSXRJim

In: Nottingham

Just heat it up. then lube it (phanar!!)...........WD40 should do the trick before taking any costly measures                                                                                                                                                                             
tamaz's Profile
tamaz

LOL diet or ordinary cola? Pepsi or coke? :)

Will gtive it a go though.

Thanks for suggestion Jim, was my first move, had used plus gas, works better than wd40, if you havent used it, give it a try, its fabby stuff, million and one uses.
Wills's Profile
Wills

I'm a Plus Gas fan meself

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

mmmmmmmwd40!,,,,,,,,, lushEvil Smile                                                                                                                                                                              
tamaz's Profile
tamaz

Well update on this.

Put coke on it.
Put Plusgas on it.
Got Stud Extractor.
Came out in 5 minutes.

Yeee haaa go team.

Thanks for guys for suggestions, stud extractor is what I knew there should be, basically like a drill head that you can attached a socket/spanner to.  Didnt think they existed tho. Well worth 20 quid off anyones money.

tangoman60's Profile
tangoman60

In: Weymouth

Julies of down the tool shop as we speak!                                                                                                                                                                             
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

In: Hinckley

And vinegar will work better at all of the above insofar as penetration......Fnarrr.   Stud pullers are worth every penny....as are nut splitters.   Julie, over to you.....                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Stud pullers are worth every penny....as are nut splitters.   agree wholeheartedly with that GH Geek   The hydraulic ones are most efficient in the right hands Julie Evil Smile but the application of HEAT! & LUBE often helps too! Em Thumbs Up Cool Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

I'm quite impressed that this didn't get far, far worse!                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

Dunno, give it timeWink                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Ermm Just in case anybody thought this was over!   I think what Julie wants is a 3 legged puller?   Evil Smile Wink                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.0000 seconds. There are 704 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption