Biker Loses Court Battle Over Helmet

13 Posts | Latest reply on 16/03/2008 08:33:30 by Di | Go to original / last post
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

Baljinder Badesha, a Sikh biker from Ontario, Canada has lost his court battle to NOT wear a helmet because of his turban.   He received a $110 fine in 2005 for not wearing a helmet and has been contesting the fine since.   But last week an Ontario judge ruled against him.                                                                                                                                                                                 
lcotgrave's Profile
lcotgrave

In: Birkenhead
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

health and safety v culture/religion now there is a can of worms if anyone wants to open it                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

the courts are damn right.   When you choose a religion, you choose the lifestyle that goes with it.  Being a Sikh means that you have certain restrictions (How does he go about going to a swimming pool for example?).   He chose that life, so he should stop complaining.  It's obvious he can't wear a helmet, and therefore he can't legally ride a bike in his country.  End of story - shouldn't have even got to court.                                                                                                                                                                             
stueylewie's Profile
stueylewie

In: Bognor Regis

Interesting to see a legal system that went the opposite way to ours... On and around this subject - I'd encourage any BM members who don't know who Fred Hill was to maybe spend 10 minutes reading about him (try Fred Hill MAG as a search) Whether you support the helmet law or are against it - Fred was a man who stuck by his principles and should hopefully at least be remembered for that   RIP                                                                                                                                                                               
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

Hey Matt, I know chlorine plays havoc with me hair but I wouldn't want to wear a helmet when I was swimming LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Hey Kwak, I agree, but that lass on the Zovirax advert did everything with her helmet on so that no one could see her face, including going swimming. Don't know why though, at the end of the advert she took her helmet off and she was gorgeous!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Di's Profile
Di

In: Wellingborough

Fred Hill was certainly a character!   Shame he had to die in nick. I loved the bit about the lady magistrate.   Once in the dock of a magistrates court where a lady magistrate berated his lawlessness, Fred took the opportunity to remind her that if it hadn't been for members of her sex breaking the law some years ago, she wouldn't be sitting where she was.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

yea i dont understand that bit...????                                                                                                                                                                             
Di's Profile
Di

Suffragettes Matt.   If they hadn't of marched and thrown themselves in front of race horses and chained themselves to railings then women wouldn't have been given the vote!                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

It was only ONE woman (Emily Wilding Davison at the 1913 Derby) who threw herself under the King's horse. Which did her, and the suffrage movement, no favours cos the men at that time were asking if this is what an educated woman does what would a lesser educated woman do? Even some suffragettes were concerened she was bringing the movement into disrepute. Her headstone is inscribed with the words 'Deeds not words'       Some think the reason that women were given the right to vote was mainly due to the fact the government didn't want a return to the (sufragette) violence of pre-1914 Britain.     Soz had me anorak on there a bit lol it fascinates me, I did a 1500 word essay on the sufragette movement (for my son, for work, the lazy devil)                                                                                                                                                                                         
Matt's Profile
Matt

so thats when Britain took a U-Turn   hahaha, ONLY JOKING!                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

*slap* and another from Emily (she just ouija-ed me ) LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Di's Profile
Di

I know it was only ONE woman who got trampled by King George V's horse Anmer at the Epsom Derby, I was encompassing them as a GROUP of law breakers. Women finally getting complete voting rights on a par with men in 1928 I believe!                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4688 seconds. There are 699 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption