Well Done Matt

24 Posts | Latest reply on 13/03/2008 07:56:32 by Matt | Go to original / last post
Phil's Profile
Phil

In: Liverpool
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Well done Matt, you are an SQL Superhero. Unless you have done some other work in the background the resuffle of the forums has worked wounders.   ** WARNING GEEK QUESTION*** I assume that the site has speeded up because now the forum is only searching throught a smaller talbe for that forum subject rather thatn on e immense table containing everything??   Ok the rest of you can look now.                                                                                                                                                                             
Di's Profile
Di

In: Wellingborough

I've lost the feeling in my arm. I've been moving bloody topics over for nearly two and a half hours!!!! Confused                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

yea my eyes are gonna blow up Di.  We still need help everyone - so if anyone has some free time, PLEASE HELP US SORT OUT THE OLD TOPICS.   PP - thanks for the comments.  It's the miracle of SQL mate, tables, indexes, relationships and keys.  With a bit of tricky programming at the front end.  The back end (SQL) was really simple, add a few pages and change some existing ones... only took me all day lol.   And no there isn't less tables, it's one giant one.  Normalisation.  Several tables is a bad idea, it means if a topic is moved then it has to be deleted/recreated elsewhere.  Which would give it a new ID and everything - very bad idea.  How it works is that you create 3 tables - Categories, Topics, Posts... and link them through keys. Each category has a key, each topic and every post also.  When you view a specific forum now, it displays only the topics that have a specific category/forum key in them.  Just as when you view the posts it only shows the ones that have a specific topic key attached to them.  :-)Now, when we move the topic, it doesn't delete or move anything... it just changes the category key attached to the topic.   Try this... go to the All Forums page.  Click a forum, and you will be sent to AllTopics.asp.... with a parameter after the URL.  Same again when you view a topic... you go to posts.asp - with ?topic_id=1234 after the URL.                                                                                                                                                                             
Karey's Profile
Karey

In: Barnsley

Yeh...Well Done Matt!  It's looking brill ! Thumbs Up Rite..I'm gonna havta wimp out now..my right arms gone numb too!     Glad to help out and will do some more tomorra !    Goodnight ! Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Silvi's Profile
Silvi

In: Northallerton

I gave up at 10 last night my eyes were burning and I couldn't destinguish a Joke from News anymore. But Im back at it already and will be throughout the day.....only 50+ pages left!!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Oh yes, well done Matt .......   Now to find a particular thread I have to click twice!! Twice I say!!  I personally think it's an outrage!   Silvi - a lot of the things I see on the BBC nowadays, I have difficulty distinguishing jokes from news with!!  What you need is a good back rub ........                                                                                                                                                                             
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th

Having seen the result, i think i prefere the old site. can you put it back the way it was please. Evil Smile(Thats a joke matt) I notice there isnt a section for miserable / suicidal. Have you just deleted them all? that must've freed up quite a bit of space. Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Silvi's Profile
Silvi

In: Northallerton

geoff That sounds like a great idea...are you offering?? Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
Nutkin68's Profile
Nutkin68

In: Hull

Cracked up at Blues suicidal comment LOLClap   I think the new layouts great, its a lot easier to use - well done to all the people who have done the work Star                                                                                                                                                                             
tangoman60's Profile
tangoman60

In: Weymouth

geof an silvi get a room!Winkan nutkin stop brown nosin!go to matlock an praise the almighty there!i hope to be there it'll be like goin on a pilgrimage to be saved!!one touch from the master an i will be saved!! praise be!amen! ps site does work better methinks at this early stage!
RC's Profile
RC

In: Derbyshire

cya there then TM Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
RC's Profile
RC

In: Derbyshire

ohh matt looks like the time is out by an hour lol its only 14-05 pm lol                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

Nice one Matt, just finished a 2 hour stint moving topics.  Sorry I couldnt help out last night i was working a late.                                                                                                                                                                              
ZZRpilot's Profile
ZZRpilot

In: Reading

Nice revamp folks   top work   *round of applause*   Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
stueylewie's Profile
stueylewie

In: Bognor Regis

Blues - I reckon Matt figures that the suicidal probably won't be around long enough for their own forum   Soz - bit late I know, but I'm trying to catch up...                                                                                                                                                                             
bikerchick1966's Profile
bikerchick1966

In: Derby

Much much better style of forum Matt, I for one, think it is much better, it MIGHT stop some people moaning about certain threads being hijacked by triviality!   My word, TM is coming to Matlock, what with Matt, it will be a meet no one can miss!Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
Cruiser gal's Profile
Cruiser gal

In: Tamworth
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

Fantastic work on the re vamp of the site, and excellent job done by all, thanks all for working so hard to make this all happen.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

im gonna hide at matlock, and spy on you all for a little while. See how you behave when im not around lol. Thanks for all the comments guys, it's taken myself and all the staff a long time getting things straight.  Lots of new code too, so dont be surprised if it doesnt work at times - just let me know as soon as u see any errors.   Cheers                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

from what I can tell there are no errors at all Matt, well done everyone   are there I what errors no all well Matt, everyone from tell done from can at                                                                                                                                                                             
Di's Profile
Di

In: Wellingborough

Well done Matt, you made it easy for us to swop everything over. Just about getting the feeling back in my arm now!!                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7344 seconds. There are 1747 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption