gear changing issues & getting leg over seat

7 Posts | Latest reply on 22/06/2024 00:14:14 by Double six | Go to original / last post
UkWizard's Profile
UkWizard

In: Shrewsbury
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

Hi all, I am finally getting into biking, and have just got my CBT and first bike. KTM Duke 125.

Couple of questions though so far, and would appreciate some advce.

I really struggle to change gears as I cannot get my boot under the gear lever. I also had the issue when doing my CBT, where I rode two other bikes.
Not sure if it's me, or my boots. They are bulky and rigid as is above ankle.
Looking online, not many people seem to have the issue. note: I have no issues with understanding the gears, it's just those down shifts and neutral.

And secondly, I struggle to get my leg over the seat to get on and off. I simply struggle to get it high enough. I am trying to avoid using the peg. I am not short, at 5"10. So why do I struggle when shorter people seem to find it easy.

Thanks In Advance. Really need some guidance here. As want to get good enough to get my das test done.
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
90% Karma90% Karma 90% Karma90% Karma

Hi UkWizard Riding jeans or trousers too tight, try raising the gear leaver 1 spline it will give you more room to get your toe under the leaver. hope that helps                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

In: London
65% Karma65% Karma 65% Karma65% Karma

1st gears, Try different footwear, ever if it's just sitting on the bike wearing trainers. If all is ok, get new books or wear the boots around the house. going up and down stairs to break them in.

2nd getting your leg over. It's not about how tall you are, it's about your inner leg length.
To make the seat height a little lower, turn the bars to the right, this will make the bike lean a little more to the left.
With myself being short in the leg, If I have something on the back seat. I tend to cock my right leg up at a 90 degree angle and hop towards the bike until my arse is on the seat. Not very dignified, but it works.
Ibb0's Profile
Ibb0

In: Truro
24% Karma24% Karma 24% Karma24% Karma

Getting on, Ragnar is correct, but also lean forwards, and as low as you can with your upper body, as you throw your leg up.
You can of course use the off-road style too, and mount using your footrest. YouTube is worth a search.                                                                                                                                                                             
Pasta1's Profile
Pasta1

In: Dartford
11% Karma11% Karma 11% Karma11% Karma

Lol Ragnar! I'm the same and have to do a double hop goosestep thing to mount my bike when it's loaded for touring. 🤣                                                                                                                                                                             
Strom67's Profile
Strom67

In: Hilton, Cambs
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

From what I read the KTM has an 800mm seat height which is pretty low (mine is 835 and I'm old and fat with a wonky knee but 6ft ) so go with the bent knee technique. With regards to the gear selector I've read that the peg lowering kits can create more space under the gear selector so that might be worth investigating 🤔

However, when I crushed my ankle a couple of years ago I was convinced that my gear selector was damaged as I couldn't change up through the gears... It turned out to be that my ankle wasn't flexing🙄
Double six's Profile
Double six

In: South Kirkby
49% Karma49% Karma 49% Karma49% Karma

I too suffer from a getting my leg over problem, unfortunately it isn't bike related so I suppose I shouldn't raise it here! hehehe                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5469 seconds. There are 280 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption