Kill switch... Is this true?

32 Posts | Latest reply on 12/09/2023 11:47:05 by JP | Go to original / last post
Wilbur918RR's Profile
Wilbur918RR

In: Newport
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

Hi all

Back in the 80s/90s I recall biker mates who used to say don't use the kill switch to turn the bike off all the time as it damages the coil. Turn off with the key.

Is this true?                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

No its just a switch, I've used mine thousands of times and never had a problem                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
57% Karma57% Karma 57% Karma57% Karma

No, it will be fine. If anything you should use it regularly so you know it works.                                                                                                                                                                             
Wilbur918RR's Profile
Wilbur918RR

In: Newport
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

Sounds like an urban myth then. Cheers both 😎                                                                                                                                                                             
havfun's Profile
havfun

In: harrogate
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

Has to work for the dreded m o t                                                                                                                                                                             
izzyhill's Profile
izzyhill

In: Hamilton
28% Karma28% Karma 28% Karma28% Karma

easier to reach than the effing key! (at least on my bike it is)
either kill switch or side stand down while still in gear                                                                                                                                                                             
Wayne121's Profile
Wayne121

In: Dewsbury
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

On the Norton Rotays it was suggested turn off the kill switch first then the ignition. I continue to do and on my hinkly triumphs.

Addicted to bikes 's Profile
Addicted to bikes

In: Horncastle

I use to be an instructor, worked for a motorcycle school years ago, the official line from the examiners were that the kill switch should only be used in an emergency, certainly don't be using it whilst you are on your test.
What we were lead to believe back then, is that over use of that switch could wear it out resulting in it not actually working when you needed it the most, how true that is, I really don't know but I can see some logic in that.
JP's Profile
JP

Over use of the key will wear that out too so best to put the rear brake on and stall it, ? arr that will wear the rear brake light swich out ?? fuck it just turn the petrol off and wait                                                                                                                                                                             
Strom67's Profile
Strom67

In: Hilton, Cambs
38% Karma38% Karma 38% Karma38% Karma

Turn the petrol off how exactly, I haven't had a bike with a petrol tap in years🤔                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

mole grips on the pipe lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Addicted to bikes

Yes, everything is going to wear out at some point but this is a critical safety switch, like with other such critical warning or safety systems/procedures in other situations, a daily or weekly check/test is recommended, not constant use as such.

Back in the 90's I experienced the throttle on an Astra GTE jam open once, using the brakes etc had little effect at slowing down, only turning the ignition key, that were terrifying and I did wonder why cars weren't also fitted with a kill switch funny enough.

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Over use of the key will wear that out too so best to put the rear brake on and stall it, ? arr that will wear the rear brake light swich out ?? fuck it just turn the petrol off and wait...

JP's Profile
JP

If it were a safety critical switch the would be 1 on each side of the bike. As for a car throttle sticking wide open you just depress the clutch and take the car out of gear never turn off the ignition when moving as you could inadvertently engage the street lock
Addicted to bikes

Come on now, saying that there would be a switch on each side of the bike is getting a bit silly now, going by that logic, cars should have two hand brakes to pull I suppose?
I did depress the clutch and I only turned the ignition switch to cut the power to the engine, not engage the steering lock.

Quote:
If it were a safety critical switch the would be 1 on each side of the bike. As for a car throttle sticking wide open you just depress the clutch and take the car out of gear never turn off the igniti...

JP's Profile
JP

You started this by saying that it is a safety critical item lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
57% Karma57% Karma 57% Karma57% Karma

Is this the official Harley Davidson and Sidecar stopping procedure?

Quote:
?? fuck it just turn the petrol off and wait...

JP's Profile
JP

No Steve I'm buying fink a new anchor to chuck ove the side                                                                                                                                                                             
Addicted to bikes

Well if it isn't, why do you think that all the main manufactures at least fit one then? You think it's just an ornament. LOL
It doesn't make any sense for them to make and fit such a thing from the start, expecting a rider to use it regularly when there's an ignition switch for that.

Quote:
You started this by saying that it is a safety critical item lol...

JP's Profile
JP

Ok so please explain why it is a "safety critical" switch                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

In: London
66% Karma66% Karma 66% Karma66% Karma

I'm getting bored of this.. Click on the link.

https://www.motodeal.com.ph/articles/motorcycle-features/it-okay-use-killswitch-when-turning-off-your-motorcycle#:~:text=The%20killswitch%20may%20seem%20like,answer%20is%20a%20resounding%20yes.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7656 seconds. There are 794 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption