Why is it not OK to be Alone?

16 Posts | Latest reply on 08/04/2023 12:23:12 by Kiwidrifter | Go to original / last post
Robbo1200's Profile
Robbo1200

In: Stourport
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

The other day someone said to me 'Do you not find you get funny looks or reactions from people when you go somewhere or stay somewhere alone?'. Up until that point I have to say that I'd never really noticed or paid any attention. Since then though, blimey, weren't they right. Rode up to the lakes today for a weekend away. Stopped at a bike shop to grab some bits on the way, guy asked me where I was going so I told him, 'who you going with?' He asked, 'no one, just me' said... his face was a picture... 'you ride too fast for anyone else' he said... 'no, most people don't like getting cold and wet' I said. He doesn't need to know my reasons.
Upon arriving at the hotel I had very much the same reaction from the staff... 'you're on your own??' the lady behind the bar said.

So, is this common or am I simply one of few who really has no problem going to places alone.

What are your experiences like? Have you noticed similar reactions?
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Bless you, but why would you worry about what others say? I love riding on my own at my own pace and more than happy to stay at places over night by myslef :) {although i have lots of friends to ride with} sometimes i prefer being by myself.. it is no one business wether i am with someone or not...yes it is quite common :)
it can make one feel very hostile when others judge about their personal life
wait till you reach my age..... it doesnt get any better with the looks and questions :)
Do not worry about it , things will fall into place when you least expect it :)
Stokeypan man's Profile
Stokeypan man

In: Lincoln
43% Karma43% Karma 43% Karma43% Karma

I totally agree Robbo, In my own experience it allows you the freedom to go wherever, whenever and having a bike is a magnet for other bikers or alternately anyone interested in travelling. This in turn leads you to do things that people recommend that you may have missed. Last year I travelled just under 9k in one hit in Europe, the majority of the time staying in a tent, I find that people who use hotels can be insular and don't have time for a chat, there are exceptions but the people that do talk are usually bikers where camp sites people do say hello and more inclined to pass the time of day.
In the past I have travelled with a partner and must confess it is nice to share the experience of the day but there are good and bad for both cases and as long as you enjoy what you do it does not matter because the amount of people who will say I wish I could do that far outnumber the ones who question you travelling alone.

PS Ferry booked to Spain in April
dynax's Profile
dynax

In: Doncaster
32% Karma32% Karma 32% Karma32% Karma

Just do what I do.

Make up an imaginary friend 🤣

It's even funnier though when I start to talk to myself, which I do, do frequently 🤣🤣🤣                                                                                                                                                                             
Stokeypan man's Profile
Stokeypan man

Lost an argument the other day to my "imaginary friend"                                                                                                                                                                             
Strom67's Profile
Strom67

In: Hilton, Cambs
38% Karma38% Karma 38% Karma38% Karma

Riding solo is no problem as there will always be someone to talk to when you arrive at your intended destination, whether they want to talk or not 🤣🤣🤣
I don't agree with the hotel bit, hotels have bars.. Excellent for chatting 👍                                                                                                                                                                             
Stokeypan man's Profile
Stokeypan man

Regarding hotels
I have stayed in "biker friendly hotels, zimmers, and B&Bs so usually you know what you are getting but as an example I went to a spa hotel in Dax (France) when I went down for breakfast was met by the mast majority wearing white fluffy dressing-gowns eating muesli other health foods. the looks I was given dressed in touring trousers and boots was certainly not welcoming where going on to a camping site at least you get a "good morning" or even a nod.
Could not (would not) pay the exorbitant prices in the bar as when I entered the bar it looked like " suits and cocktail dress" convention and not the smart casual I was sporting. (exit left)
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
58% Karma58% Karma 58% Karma58% Karma

I favour a fluffy dressing gown and muesli when I'm camping...
Though I do enjoy travelling on my own, I do like a peer group to drink beer with in the evening.
It's a fine line twixt an 'introverted personality who is comfortable with his own company' and 'disreputable tramp with a drink problem'. 🙂
Strom67's Profile
Strom67

In: Hilton, Cambs
38% Karma38% Karma 38% Karma38% Karma

Maybe check the clientele of the bar before booking in... I spend 5 mornings a week at a Health Spa and I find they are a mixed bag although plenty of current and ex motorcycle riders if you dig deep enough 🤣🤣🤣

Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

A few years back I was chairing a project meeting.
Before we got to business one of the Consultants started telling me about his new bike.
Well, that was it. Out of the 20+ people there all but two were bikers or ex-bikers.
That one turned into a long meeting 😂

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I find they are a mixed bag although plenty of current and ex motorcycle riders if you dig deep ...
Stokeypan man's Profile
Stokeypan man

On a more serious note. If you are going to ride alone (especially abroad) could I suggest making a ICE pack. I have a small laminated sheet with a picture of myself, DOB, two contact numbers (next of kin), blood group, telephone number of your surgery, any allergies dates of Covid vaccinations etc. I store this in my Hi-viz in a signed pocket. An alternative is to store this information in your helmet. Things like bike & accident insurance can be sorted at a later date. In the case of the unthinkable it will help the emergency services.
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

A good thought.
It's also worth setting the emergency details on your mobile (that's why you locked phone shows an 'emergency' option near the keypad).
If you haven't already set it up DO IT NOW!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Thats tempting fate in my eyes.
I prefer to take life, or death, as it comes. They can trace my roots through my reg number if there is anything left.

yorkie mick's Profile
yorkie mick

In: Wakefield
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

Army style dog tags maybe for basic emergency info 🤔                                                                                                                                                                             
Coffee n Cake's Profile
Coffee n Cake

In: Stockport

I do most of my riding & Bike holidays as a solo and completely agree, there are some people who frown & show puzzlement about how you travel on your own.

I find that for every 1 that thinks it weird, there's someone else who wishes they travelled alone for the freedom to go where & when you like.

Just as being in groups has it's pros & cons, so does solo riding.

I always think when anyone who doesn't understand travelling alone, it says more about them & their closed attitude.
Kiwidrifter's Profile
Kiwidrifter

26% Karma26% Karma 26% Karma26% Karma

Story of my life. I don’t mean that in a bad way. You do you mate and carry on as normal and do the things and go the places that make you smile and happy. What other people think is irrelevant unless you’re doing something you shouldn’t be.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7188 seconds. There are 658 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption