kill switch

11 Posts | Latest reply on 29/11/2022 12:07:41 by BTD | Go to original / last post
baxi's Profile
baxi

In: rochdale
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

anybody else had a problem with the prop stand kill switch ? , . they reckon it will play up esp. when its raining ? .                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Never had a problem with them in rain snow ice or that sunny day we had.
But if 1 failed i would only bypass it to get home                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

In: London
66% Karma66% Karma 66% Karma66% Karma

On one of my old Tiger 955i I had to clean the switch every so often because road dirt would stop plunger coming out so the bike would cut out when I put her in gear thinking the stand was still down.
That's the only problem I've had with one.                                                                                                                                                                             
baxi's Profile
baxi

In: rochdale

jp perhaps you could tell us all how to bypass switch , just in case it does happen ? .                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Pull the 2 wires off the switch and twist them together. But make sure you cut them at the switch on the side stand and not the plug end you will need the plug intact to plug in the new switch. Please dont do this for any other reason than get you home, it will hurt a lot if you forget the side stand and ride off
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I sometimes have an issue if to much gunk builds up around the switch but plenty of degreeser and then wd40 and its good for another year or 2                                                                                                                                                                             
Ric Ochet's Profile
Ric Ochet

In: Dorchester

Wear in the pivot and or the spring can also cause issues though weather wouldn't effect that as much as bumps in the road.                                                                                                                                                                             
LincsGSX's Profile
LincsGSX

In: Sleaford
14% Karma14% Karma 14% Karma14% Karma

The spring on one of my bikes sometimes doesn't bring the side stand back far enough due to it weakening from use. A simple job to replace when I get time.                                                                                                                                                                             
Parny's Profile
Parny

In: Oldham

Another solution is to buy an off the shelf NO (Normally Open) magnetic reed switch, wire that in and attach the magnet to the stand and position the new switch so the magnet operates the reed, there are many ones suitable on eBay, a bit of drill and tapping and crimp connectors, could be sorted and trouble free within a couple of hours,
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Just keep it clean, smear a bit of vaseline on to keep the wet out. Job done.                                                                                                                                                                             
BTD's Profile
BTD

In: Sheffield
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Hi All,

What I do is make a short piece of wire up with the same type connectors, IE, bullet type or spade type, and carry this either in my jacket pocket as in my case as I have more than one bike, or just pop it under your seat.
If you have a problem with the switch just disconnect the switch and plug in your piece of wire to bypass it.

Also. I have done this in the past when my electric cooling fan switch went faulty.

MUST STRESS Only do this as a temporary get home hack, and replace the switch ASAP.

Cheers
BTD

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4219 seconds. There are 811 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption