Motorbike fuel not getting to engine.

28 Posts | Latest reply on 24/12/2020 13:11:53 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
DungeonMaster7's Profile
DungeonMaster7

In: Torquay
10% Karma10% Karma 10% Karma10% Karma

Hi,

I've cleaned my carb out bought a new spark plug.

Fuel does not want to get into the engine to start the bike.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Out of options and college isn't helping nor anyone I know can figure it out.

My cousin works for Norton, he's stumped after multiple attempts; via video chat i'll have you know.

Here's the video of what is happening and an explanation: https://youtu.be/mtXsY0QaG0w

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

That hose you pointed out under the tank that wasn’t attached to anything could be a vacuum hose.
You’ll need to look on the carb to see if there is an unused connection, put the hose on and see if it fires.

DungeonMaster7's Profile
DungeonMaster7

Okay will do that, thanks remember that now. I said in the video that it wasn't starting before the vaccum house which you mentioned, was on before as well; still not starting. In the video also mentioned Easy start doing nothing and a new spark not sparking. Checked the whole carb and cleaned it all connected before last test which changed nothing...

Thanks for the help man.
----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
That hose you pointed out under the tank that wasn’t attached to anything could be a vacuum hose.
You’ll need to look on the carb to see if there is an unused connection, put the hose on and see if i...

Wraith750's Profile
Wraith750

In: Stevenage
17% Karma17% Karma 17% Karma17% Karma

The hose from the tank looks like a breather hose & possibly connects to the airbox. If you say that you have a new spark plug but there is no spark occuring then the fault may not be the fuel system but with the CDI box. In your video you say that the problems arose after the accident when the USB cable thing fell onto the exhaust & melted, & it was also raining; that makes me think that the CDI (ignition) box has fried, therefore not firing the spark.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Yes , seems you are looking at fueling problems when its actually electrical. Test all circuits to eliminate any faults.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Check the fuel filter is on the right way as some are 1 way there may be an arrow on it to show direction of flow                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Checking out search specifically for Lexmoto forums reveals apparently a known problem with the side stand kill/cut out switch. Is it there at all or worth replacing?
Weird thing is one guy reported the bike was able to turn over but zero spark and his cut out switch was missing?? He also stated the handlebar kill switch position made no difference to starting after he replaced the side stand switch?? Kinda sounds like your issue. Must be some strange wiring by the sound of it.
I am also assuming you have checked the "no fuel reaching engine?" After turning over a few times have you pulled the plug to see if it is wet? If it is you do not have fuel starve problem.
If it is bone dry I'd question what you meant about having "cleaned the carb?" Risky thing to do if know little about carbs.. i.e. careful poking wires etc through orifices. Assume you checked the float bowl in the process? Gunk or junk in there can be an issue. Looking at the state of the outside of the tank could be worth checking/cleaning out the inside?
Anyway, as Wraith said, fuel or not you ain't going nowhere without a spark!
Maybe find the genius who added the USB plug and have them wield a multimeter around your electrics. (Stand well back!)
How are you keeping your battery charged btw? Good luck mate! You are in a world of hurt from the looks of it!
DungeonMaster7's Profile
DungeonMaster7

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Yes, that sounds interesting I will check that out about the side stand cut off switch. The thing is in the video I show that fuel is coming no problem from the engine to the carb and from the carb it is flowing through, checked the float bowl, was all well and good but it seems like it might be the CDI Box which I had a funny feeling about or it is this issue of whole electronics being busted.

There was an issue where underneath the handlebars a huge wire set (of about 6 pins) was not starting the bike until I lifted the whole wiring up with my hand a bit and would start, these seems not to work now and am wondering what to do. Will take everything that you have all said on the forum and will work it out. Thank you very much.
DungeonMaster7's Profile
DungeonMaster7

Thanks man.
I will check that out...

Quote:
Check the fuel filter is on the right way as some are 1 way there may be an arrow on it to show direction of flow...

DungeonMaster7's Profile
DungeonMaster7

Will do Yarg.

Thanks.

Quote:
Yes , seems you are looking at fueling problems when its actually electrical. Test all circuits to eliminate any faults....

DungeonMaster7's Profile
DungeonMaster7

Thanks for the help, Wraith.

Quote:
The hose from the tank looks like a breather hose & possibly connects to the airbox. If you say that you have a new spark plug but there is no spark occuring then the fault may not be the fuel sys...

Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

In: Leeds
55% Karma55% Karma 55% Karma55% Karma

I know very little about mechanics or electrics but it sounds very much like an issue my daughter's ex had on his Z1000, whilst on our way to Hellfest a few years ago. Turned out to be something related to his fuel sensor wiring.

Hope you get it sorted one way or another🤞🏻
DungeonMaster7's Profile
DungeonMaster7

Thank you. I have purchased a new CDI box, hopefully that will sort out the problem.

Quote:
I know very little about mechanics or electrics but it sounds very much like an issue my daughter's ex had on his Z1000, whilst on our way to Hellfest a few years ago. Turned out to be something rel...

DungeonMaster7's Profile
DungeonMaster7

Okays, so I installed the new CDI box. Nothing has changed. Connected all lines to the right spots but still just not getting fuel to engine. Anny suggestions? I have been to multiple garages and they have all said it was cost £300 or to check out the bike and find the fix, fuck that. I really want to do it myself because I want to learn as much as I can about bikes. So annoying. Would it be the relay? Or fuel line...

Thank you very much for the help.

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Take out spark plug connect to plug cap lay plug on engine so it has an earth check kill switch is in the run position. turn engine over and watch for spark. If no spark try a different plug just because it's new don't mean it's good. If you have a spark not electrics. Turn on fuel wait 2 mins then turn off remove carb see if any fuel inside float bowl. If no fuel in carb check the needle valve on the float. If you have fuel in carb push your finger over spark plug hole turn engine over it should force the air fuel mixture past your finger then smell your finger it should smell of petrol if not jets are blocked in your carb. If your finger smells of fish go wash your hands you dirty boy. Hope that is clear enough to help
DungeonMaster7's Profile
DungeonMaster7

Haha, thanks!!!.. Yeah, will do the spark thing... But fuel is going through carb, float is full. All unblocked. Seems like electrics might've fried the whole system as underneath the lights the big pile of wires only work when jolted with my hands a few times and will dip off turning off light and neutral sign. Originally it wouldn't start the bike without the jolt but now the movement with hand underneath to the big wire set (6 pin I believe) is missing one. Think this is one of the many issues I have. This fucking charger really messed my bike the fuck up.

Quote:
Take out spark plug connect to plug cap lay plug on engine so it has an earth check kill switch is in the run position. turn engine over and watch for spark. If no spark try a different plug just beca...

Declan's Profile
Declan

In: London
11% Karma11% Karma 11% Karma11% Karma

Maybe its a corroded connection/ relay? A plasticine dam and sarsons white vinegar o/n plus next day to dry it off can help correct problem. Its a tedious process checking everything though.
Get yourself a haynes and a multimeter. Id recommend the printed manual rather than online as when u want to turn the page with a greasy hand, its not the best for you pc or phone.
Declan's Profile
Declan

In: London
11% Karma11% Karma 11% Karma11% Karma

I wouldnt aplly the technique to the more complicated elec units like the junction box. If a lot look claggy, proprietry contact cleaner is a probably a better idea.                                                                                                                                                                             
rico's Profile
rico

In: harrogate
27% Karma27% Karma 27% Karma27% Karma

first thing i would do is disconnect the side stand cut out and if that doesnt work look at a problem with the airflow (all pipes routed correctly no kinks etc) if the fuel is getting through and its turning over i would deffo be looking at an not enough air
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
63% Karma63% Karma 63% Karma63% Karma

It's the bunch of wires under headlight, one is broke, separate them and move individually to find the one making the bad connection and replace                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7070 seconds. There are 460 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption