Cbrxx '99 charging probs.

15 Posts | Latest reply聽on 26/07/2020 12:45:34 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hi ive a problem with my CBR XX '99.
it started ok today but after a 20 min ride i stopped and it wouldnt start. I bumped it ok and got it home. still no start. . put a jump starter on it and it started rightaway. Its a new battery ( 4 weks) I recently changed a headlight bulb it had failed. on reading CBR xx Forums the regulator/rectifier can fail and they some times burn out lights. Any ideas would be gratefully recieved.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

First sign of rectifier failure is blowing bulbs, i,ve had a few hondas and had to change rectifier on a couple of them.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

If it has failed it could destroy your new battery by over charging and deforming the cells. If you can get it checked asap                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Its defo your reg/rec. I've owned 2 Blackbirds and early Blade as with most Hondas I change reg/rec straight away, get a decent finned one, John at Jaws will sort you one out online, Ebay, David Silvers also.
Test your stator too but 99% it's your regulator. Pay anything from 拢40-拢60 but make sure its finned version...
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

great ... thanks for the replies and help                                                                                                                                                                             
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

In: Leeds
55% Karma55% Karma 55% Karma55% Karma

Oh no Steve, thats not good news 馃槙

Hope you get it sorted soon 馃憤馃徎                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

To be certain you need to see what the voltage is going into the battery anything over 14.2v would indicate a bad rec/reg                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

hi.
tested the battery while engine running its regisering same as not running. 12.34v changed the regulator rectifier still the same ....new alernator ???? are they easy to change.?

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Yes inside right hand engine casing just unplug unbolt and re bolt and plug in. But I would get someone to check it over 1st there not cheep and could be a bad connection                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I ran it for few minutes from cold while testing the battery and noticed the stator cover got quite hot. Is this normal

ps the stator cover has liquid gasket . would any gasket sealant work for the job or does it need aspecific. type                                                                                                                                                                             
p贸g mo th贸in's Profile
p贸g mo th贸in

In: Thanet
6% Karma6% Karma 6% Karma6% Karma

Check your leads for a spark check the gap in your plugs                                                                                                                                                                             
Cupid Stunt's Profile
Cupid Stunt

In: Hope Valley
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

Check your stator output.
Trace the wire from the casing, should be three yellow wires.
Pull the connector and check voltage (set meter to ac V) on each wire to another stator wire & record voltage for each. Check output against specification but generally should be over 60V on each wire @ 3000 rpm

YouTube has some good videos for how to do this 馃榿
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

hi I fitted a fully charged battery (13.4V) and tested it idle 12.74 then revving for 1 minute 12.4V. I then disconected the stator and tested each set of wires ( 1-2, 1-3, 2-3)in turn on AC setting on the multimeter zero every time. new stator I think. just ordered a new one plus gasket. Good job i love this bike. LOL
Cupid Stunt's Profile
Cupid Stunt

In: Hope Valley
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

Sounds like you've tracked the problem Steve
Let us know how you get on 馃榾                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thanks Nick I did a running AC test on the stator this morning and got 48,48,38 so its on its way out.... new bits coming wednesday even bought a torque wrench LOL
thanks for your help                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5586 seconds. There are 548 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption