Isolation - Time to think of others?

17 Posts | Latest replyΒ on 10/04/2020 01:47:14 by Sandi | Go to original / last post
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

In: Leeds
55% Karma55% Karma 55% Karma55% Karma

Although I love living on my own it's at times like these you realise how isolating it can be. Especially for those people who are unable to leave their homes through age, disability or illness.

Look after your neighbours, as well as family and friends. Even if it's only a tap on a window, a smile and a wave it helps!

Offer a hand with shopping needs etc.

Get a phone number (if you haven't already got one) give them a call, a few minutes of chat helps immensely.

In my small street we have been taking out each others bins on bin day for the last 7+ years. We try to take it in turns on a weekly cycle. If you take the bins out, someone else brings them in.

I do the glass recycling run for 4 houses roughly every 6-8 wks. It's a job n a half and I do get strange looks from people at the recycling point when I pull up and open the boot and then the back passenger doors. The seats n boot are stacked with boxes n bags. It takes me anything from 30mins to an hour of my time but hey I quite enjoy the sound of breaking glass!

We chat to each other and we've all got each others phone numbers. We don't live in each others pockets but we look out for each other.

The other day my next door neighbour contacted one of her friends (who has a garden centre) and arranged for a tray of plants to be delivered to each house, so that our planters and baskets could be filled with colour. It lifted our spirits no end and gave us a major boost. What a lovely gesture.

There is no need to do something which costs a fortune, it's the small things that mean so much.

Stay safe, healthy and proactive. Helping out others doesn't mean you have to break government guidance.

Social distancing isn't rocket science. It doesn't mean you can't help or talk to people.
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
38% Karma38% Karma 38% Karma38% Karma

I've lent my ex-wife some jigsaws...:)>

Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

Every little helps Jinx πŸ‘πŸ»

Hope all the pieces are there πŸ€”πŸ™„πŸ˜²

You didn't mix several jigsaws up for a joke did ya? I had that done to me years ago πŸ˜‚                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
38% Karma38% Karma 38% Karma38% Karma

Tempted...but even I'M not that bad,Lindsay...lol
And i did check BOTH pieces were in there ,too..πŸ‘                                                                                                                                                                             
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€―                                                                                                                                                                             
Joey05's Profile
Joey05

In: Preston
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I wish it was like this here Linz. I have goy the little one home which im grateful for (in some ways - in others I may be asking for an alibi!!)
Unfortunately I have never lived anywhere that is so ignorant :(                                                                                                                                                                             
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

Sorry to hear that Joey. If that was me I'd consider it a challenge to get folk talking. It would be GOOD MORNING! How are you? Weather is looking good. Nice dress! Any plans for the day?

I'd wear the bar-stewards down, may take time but worth the effort once rewarded with a half smile and a response πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ»

Come over to this side of the Pennines πŸ˜‰

**ducks** now Joey that's not nice throwing your boots at me, it was just a suggestion. 😲😟
Matt04's Profile
Matt04

In: Nottingham

I've offered all my nieghbours and vulnerable and elderly friends a shopping svs. A, it gets me out. B, I have a good immune system ( rarely ill). C, if it's not to much I go on the bike lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

That's a win, win with a bonus thrown in for good measureπŸ‘πŸ»πŸŒŸπŸοΈ                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt04's Profile
Matt04

In: Nottingham

Out the box thinking 🀣🀣🀣                                                                                                                                                                             
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

Ooh you'll be in blue sky πŸ€” next🀣                                                                                                                                                                             
Nikkblue1234's Profile
Nikkblue1234

In: Cardiff
29% Karma29% Karma 29% Karma29% Karma

Hi guys new here I am in wales its calmed down alot people are staying in last weekend a bunch.of idiots out like Easter hols                                                                                                                                                                             
Joey05's Profile
Joey05

In: Preston

Have to admit Linz they can be friendlier over your side...just not sure I could go over to the dark side lol                                                                                                                                                                             
yorkie mick's Profile
yorkie mick

In: Wakefield
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

I took it upon myself, to call all of my friends, who are living alone, and have no contact at all. For example my friend, who lost his wife last year, housebound and who as received a letter not to go out. Because he's in the extreme dangerous category, suffers with COPD, and plus he as mental health issues, due to his past alcoholism, which he as now kicked.

He's literally climbing the walls. It brought a tear to my eye, when he told me his daughter and grandchildren, can only drop food at the door. Then they have to stand away from him, for a chat on the footpath outside. He's longing to hug them tightly because he's a massive family man, like most of us.

Today I've taken part in a conference call online, with all the staff at my college and at where I work. We all work with service users, who have mental health issues. We run wellbeing/mindfulness courses throughout the year, to boost people's positive mental and physical health.

I really feel for those people who are alone, at this moment in time. Everybody be kind and try to help someone if you can.
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

Sorry to hear about your friend Mick, not a nice situation to be in. I'm sure your telephone call gave him the opportunity to share his problems and worries. He now knows he's not alone. Good deed done πŸ‘πŸ»

We have Skype video breaks and lunches together as a team every day. They are optional and there is no pressure to attend, but most days we are all together. It is great to see team members and have some downtime giggles.

Every little helps πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜ƒ and I echo your sentiments...

"I really feel for those people who are alone, at this moment in time. Everybody be kind and try to help someone if you can."
SusiPop's Profile
SusiPop

In: Selby
49% Karma49% Karma 49% Karma49% Karma

Lovely post with a lovely message Linz. I have only been out 4 times in 3 weeks but my neighbours and I communicate via text or over garden fences to help each other out if we can. One neighbour left me veg from her allotment that I made into soup. On the other side, they ran out of bread so I gave them a bread mix. Even the little things are important. Stay safe all x
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
46% Karma46% Karma 46% Karma46% Karma

Maybe when we get this virus sorted the community spirit, that some are helping to keep going/introduce, will stay with us.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4883 seconds. There are 319 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption