Powder coating

6 Posts | Latest reply on 30/04/2018 12:53:12 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
10chris46's Profile
10chris46

In: Runcorn
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hi I'm thinking of having my spiked wheels powder coated,does anybody know if the process would damage or weaken the spokes,Thanks chris                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Shouldn't damage your spoked wheels.

You could have them striped and rebuilt only painting the rims and hubs or you could paint the whole assembeld wheels coating the spokes, hubs and rims. The choice is yours.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

It won't damage them per se, but it may not give the result you want, if it's just cosmetic?
Unless they're stainless spokes (and then why would you want to coat them..) they are almost certainly galvanised, and the curing temperature of the powder coating will almost certainly cause some out-gassing as you'll have oxides and other things lurking in the surface. Which will probably lead to poor adhesion, peeling, lumps, and cracks on the powder coating.

New spokes are relatively inexpensive, and wheel building is not that dear either.
May I ask why you want to coat them? Curious...
10chris46's Profile
10chris46

In: Runcorn

Thanks for your replies, I'm having them coated because previous owner didn't look after it and they look a mess,also having paint job done and want wheels to look as good as the rest of the bike                                                                                                                                                                             
nickscafe's Profile
nickscafe

In: Milton Keynes
7% Karma7% Karma 7% Karma7% Karma

Look a mess...? In what way?

Genuine spokes should clean up OK with some mild grade wire wool, unless they're really pitted.

In which case, it would be wiser to have the wheel rebuilt...which isn't much different to the cost of powder coating and would look far superior.

Same with the wheels...even chrome will take a soft paste polish and very mild cutting.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

From my experience, any kind of coating on spokes is a waste of time, because it damages so easily. Stainless is the best option any day.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.2500 seconds. There are 703 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption