NEW: Activity & Notifications

28 Posts | Latest reply on 06/12/2017 12:46:10 by Matt | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

I've decided to make a new section, which I hope to have as a main page of the site.

The idea is to keep your account, settings, photos/profile editing, messaging etc on one separate section (where it is now).

But I know people really appreciated having a separate area before for nods and views. I am going to make that again, but even more expanded.

I'd like your input though. What would you like to see?

My plan is the following....

Tabs: Nods, Views, Notifications, more?

Nods and views will have PHOTOS instead of just names what previously appeared. It will also no longer show the number of times someone has viewed you, only that they have. Some people have buggy browsers or bad internet connections, where one view of your profile can look like a 100. This makes them look like a stalker.

The notifications section is the new big deal. It will list in chronological order what's happening you are interested in. Someone replies to a forum post, views you, puts themselves as attending your event, replies to a PM, etc. With a link to take you directly to whatever it is.

Any suggestions for what you'd like to see in this new section, or not see, let me know below...
Matt's Profile
Matt

https://www.bikermatch.co.uk/myaccount/activity.asp

First draft guys.

Please tell me what you think.

If you'd like to see another kind of notification then please let me know.

So far I have it searching the database for...

-People joining the site
-New forum topics being started
-New events being added
-People nodding at you
-People viewing you (show's the latest view per person)
-Someone adding themselves to an event you're going to
-Someone messaged you
-Any reply to a forum topic you posted in (show's the last person plus total number of new posts since your last post).

I'm mega chuffed with myself. I built this in just one weekend. I hope you like it.

Note this is the first draft! If you see errors or design problems, just post here below please
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

Really like that it flags new members, makes it easy to say Hi and Welcome                                                                                                                                                                             
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

In: Leeds
54% Karma54% Karma 54% Karma54% Karma

I'm not sure, it is too 'full on'/messy for me.

I would prefer something which just shows newbies, so that i can say Hi. and tabs for nods n views.

I don't see the need to be informed that someone has added to a thread etc, when I can open the thread and see. Sorry Matt, not keen. Is there anyway, if you move forward this that we have an option button on our profile to close it down if we prefer not to have it? I'm already suffering with F(at) F(inger) S(yndrome) as there are lots of things to click n they are mighty close together!
Matt's Profile
Matt

Maybe I can make it so you can filter. Disable certain kinds of notifications.

The idea is precisely to bring to your attention if someone replies to you so you don't have to scour the site. It's like a central feed.

There'll be others not interested in new members also
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
26% Karma26% Karma 26% Karma26% Karma

From my point of view,has both pros and cons...the amount of posts i do in a day/weekend,it takes ages to scroll back through and see what happened where,like the idea of seeing who viewed me though...perhaps a disable function we can control is a good idea,agree with Lindsay on that aspect..Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
26% Karma26% Karma 26% Karma26% Karma

Sorry about missing emoticon,i'm on old site at the mo. :(                                                                                                                                                                             
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

In: Dartford
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I've not looked at it yet, but brilliant! Particularly re: replies on topics you've posted in and new events added to the calendar. Nice work Matt :)

Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

How about a "mark all notifications as read" function? Or, depending on pain in the arse factor for you, checkboxes so we can clear down the list item by item?

Could be handy for users to keep a bit of control over it - e.g. messages you've already read and responded to don't really need to stay on the notifications tab.

The answer: "Shut up and bog off Lou" is perfectly acceptable. Some folk are never bloody satisfied ;o)
Matt's Profile
Matt

Yea I realise that's a big thing it's missing.
But... the "pain in the arse factor" is mega huge!

Techy explanation... the list is dynamically generated from the database. It's kinda like a snapshot or "view" of all the different sections that you have links with.

The problem therefore is that each notification does not have a unique ID, and cannot be given one, because each time you reopen the page it will regenerate the entire list.

Only possibility is to work with the date/time and say "mark everything up until date/time as read"

But that's a next step. First gonna get the nods and views sorted out
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

I figured the PITA factor might be sizeable...

Duly bogging off ;o)

Matt's Profile
Matt

ADDED: Notification when someone uploads photos to their profiles.

ADDED: Colours for male/female. Sorry if anyone is offended by boys being blue and girls being red/pinkish. Sorry-not-sorry.

ADDED:Notifications of new EVENT photos                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

....and if there's anything else you'd like to see added into notifications, please post your suggestion here below and I'll tell you if it's possible or not                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

ADDED: New testimonies                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Hi Matt,
I cant see how to delete my conversations or clear view(ed) history as on the old site?
Homepage - how about a button to take users straight to a Recent Forum Posts or the Forums at least?
Cheers                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

and he avoids using puple again lol!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Ducat - at the moment you need to do it via the old site: https://OLD.bikermatch.co.uk
I'll make it for the new website soon                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Cheers Matt                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

ADDED: Filters for gender and notification type. Cannot be used in combination with each other though. Hope this will help those of you who aren't interested in all the different types. And I hope I've made it user-friendly enough. Feedback always welcome, though I am a little bit chuffed with myself on this one so go easy on me ;-)
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

New filters and great and easily used - well done.
Login focus works a treat too! (Chrome)                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6509 seconds. There are 377 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption