solenoide clicking

11 Posts | Latest reply on 24/10/2017 11:15:15 by Matt | Go to original / last post
vanguard's Profile
vanguard

In: derby
11% Karma11% Karma 11% Karma11% Karma

arr if its not one thing its another. here goes , when I press starter "on my gpx 600 " said solenoid clicks like billy o , battery fully charged, bike dosnt turn over , leads to battery,solenoide,starter cleaned , tried different solenoid still same thing . SO... any and all words of wisdom accepted . thanks for your time reading this , cheers colin
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

The battery is the obvious thing - have you got a multimeter to check the actual voltage across the terminals? Should be around 12.6v+ at rest

If the solenoid is clicking then it's working fine, so.....starter jammed? In gear and rock the wheels a bit to free it?

Or maybe a clutch or sidestand switch is not disengaging correctly, though I'm fairly certain this would stop the solenoid from activating, so a less likely cause
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

As said above id be checking the engine spins not locked up and that the starter isnt jamed for some reason. Also i would be checking the resitance on the wiring that powers the starter looking for a duff connection broken wire etc. 

But first i would check the battery. Whats it like if jump started from another battery from anotyer bike or your car?
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

If you don't have access to a tester . Turn on the lights press the starter if lights go out its low battery or bad connection. This will work on side or brake light                                                                                                                                                                              
feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

In: Rochdale

I used to have an XJ650 with the same problem, used to carry a hammer to knock the end of the starter motor, hey presto used to work every time. (got an XJ900 starter in the end no more hammer carrying)                                                                                                                                                                              
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
75% Karma75% Karma 75% Karma75% Karma

Like everyone else, I'd double-check the battery first. I had a battery on my old VFR show as fully charged according to a voltmeter across the terminals, but it turned out to be incapable of delivering any meaningful current. I must admit it threw me for a while!

Ah, the Yam XJ650. My first proper 'big' bike, remembered with affection despite a few drawbacks. Starter motor was OK for me, but the weedy 6mm exhaust studs would shear off as soon as they even saw a spanner! Later XJs had 8mm studs, much more butch.
vanguard's Profile
vanguard

In: derby
11% Karma11% Karma 11% Karma11% Karma

hi guys thank you for all your advice, im changing solenoid,starter and battery . just waiting on mr nice postman . it was eather that or a 8lb hammer to technicaly adjust it . in mean time cleaning connectors and wires. ill let you know on out come. again many thanks for your time . cheers colin Beer                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
75% Karma75% Karma 75% Karma75% Karma

I'd change things one by one to start with, so that you know in the end what the problem is. Starting with the battery - did you try jump leads, as someone suggested?
Good luck, anyway!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I had the same problem on a different bike ( Aprilia Shiver ) problem turned out to be a bad electrical connection on the starter. It was tight, but not tight enough. I only found that out after I fitted a new stater solenoid and the problem obviously hadn't gone away!
Moz666's Profile
Moz666

In: Tamworth
7% Karma7% Karma 7% Karma7% Karma

It's not the volts in the battery you need but the amps. You can have a fully charged battery and the tester may well read 12 + volts but if it has no amps it will never start your bike. Try jumping it with a known good battery. If it starts it's the battery, if it still won't start and the solenoid still clicks chance's is you have a sticking starter motor.
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

Moz, nice first post. Welcome to the site!                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5313 seconds. There are 942 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption