Helmets..Your Opinion, Please?

39 Posts | Latest reply on 11/03/2008 09:22:41 by Sandi | Go to original / last post
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
86% Karma86% Karma 86% Karma86% Karma

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a full-face helmet that doesn't rattle or let in all the noise?    What helmet would you recommend?                                                                                                                                                                              
busa70's Profile
busa70

In: Chepstow
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Full face helmets are the most easily available  ones.  Which manufacturer ? this I suggest you go out and try all and find the one which fits snuggly around and has lots of padding inside. I had a similer problem, could not find the one which would fit perfectly- they were either too big or too small to put them on. finally went for FLIP -UP helmet and the CABERG- JUSTISSIMO is really good. I also have Shoei full face- very good but not as good as Caberg in terms of comfort. Good luck with the helmet hunting.                                                                                                                                                                             
xshastax's Profile
xshastax

In: Peterborough

I have to have shark helmets, they seem to be the only helmets I can comfortably fit my head and dreads into. Dreads, incidently also offer excellent draft exclusion whilst wearing a helmet.                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
69% Karma69% Karma 69% Karma69% Karma

I use a Justissimo because I reckon it's excellent value for money and it fits well. But it's not particularly quiet, and when helmets have been discussed on other bike forums the same ramerks has been made. It's a bit academic, as I use moulded silicone earplugs that I bought at the NEC a coiple of years ago, and I reckon it's about the best £60-odd I've spent. Worth every penny. I'll work on the dreads, but it might be a long wait...                                                                                                                                                                             
Cruiser gal's Profile
Cruiser gal

In: Tamworth
4% Karma4% Karma 4% Karma4% Karma

I have the CABERG- JUSTISSIMO to although I really love the fit of this helmet I find it a bit noisy, also find it vibrates a lot when riding with the visor up after about 45mph. Unfortunately you can't try helmets out before buying for noise or rattle just for fit.   I can't wear ear plugs  when I have them in I feel really disorientated maybe someone can suggest some that won't make me feel like this.                                                                                                                                                                             
xshastax's Profile
xshastax

In: Peterborough

I can't ride without earplugs w2ell. Ever since a crash I had, I have to wear earplugs or I have no confidence, and I have no idea why.   Word of warning with them though, I did once ride down the A1 without noticing the exhaust on my bandit had detached itself from the down pipes. I did wonder why the coppers at the services gave me a filthy filthy look.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

There's only one way to go with helmets! ARAI. Ive had 3 now, currently using CORSAIR RX7. One will set you back about £500 including a dark tint visor. No wind noise, rattles, or drafts! And its your head in there so give it the best protection possible!
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
86% Karma86% Karma 86% Karma86% Karma

Wills I can't wear ear plugs, moulded or non-moulded, as I have a skin condition which sets off a chain reaction from itching to infection and that's the reason I'm also unable to wear hearing aids. Wacko    I have a Shark and a SHOEI helmet and both let in the noise, the SHOEI is the noisiest. I have about a 30% hearing loss as it is hence my need for info on QUIET lids.    Altho I agree with Bullet's comment re: 'It's your head, give it the best protection' I refuse to pay that much for one. As far as I'm aware ALL helmets comply to the same SAFETY standards therefore paying more for a lid won't make it SAFER. Altho I do think paying a BIT more for one MAY give a better fit and hopefully a QUIETER one.   Cheers for the info everyone, if anyone else knows of a QUIET helmet please let me know.                                                                                                                                                                                    
abctrev's Profile
abctrev

In: Nottingham

Kwak, looking through some back issues of Ride magazine, the Roof Diversion seemed to come out well in terms of comfort and noise. Personally I've got a shoei that I find very comfortable, but I do wear earplugs.                                                                                                                                                                              
abctrev's Profile
abctrev

In: Nottingham

Typically, just as my finger hit the 'post message' button, I remembered something else. Have a look at the ride magazine website, google 'ride magazine' in the uk. Check out the tests, I think they did one on lids and tested them for noise. Schuberth came out on top, but they ain't cheap! You pays yer money etc.
Cruiser gal's Profile
Cruiser gal

Good idea abctrev to suggest people look at the Ride magazine test, wish I had done that before buying my helmet, they say in one of the magazines about mine being a noisy helmet but I only read that after I had purchased mine.                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
69% Karma69% Karma 69% Karma69% Karma

http://www.ridetriangles.com/nav?page=ridetriangles                                                                                                                                                                             
rattler's Profile
rattler

In: Liverpool

Me personally Kwak, I think you can't go wrong with an Arai. I had an Arai Venom (Before some thieving b*****d pinched it out of my car) and found it perfect, especially with wearing glasses. Really comfy and quiet. Must admit they can be a tad pricey.                                                                                                                                                                             
Cruiser gal's Profile
Cruiser gal

Rattler you need to keep your helmet in a suitcase like I do. Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

I have to agree with abctrev , i have a shark now but had a roof daytona b4 that , was relly quiet and had it for 3 years                                                                                                                                                                              
rattler's Profile
rattler

In: Liverpool

If I done that it may bring tears to my eyes lol                                                                                                                                                                             
suzuki's Profile
suzuki

In: Manchester

Arai RX7 Corsair is the best you can buy, All Arai dealers will change the padding to get you a perfect fit. If you visit the Arai stand in any race paddock, your helmet will be serviced and cleaned free of charge.                                                                                                                                                                             
tigz's Profile
tigz

In: Coalville

My 1st lid was probably my best buy...Roof..the fit is excellent, padding superb & snug (and can be altered to fit the individual) and was my quietest lid ever. They're not as pricey at around £200 and I never needed ear plugs.                                                                                                                                                                              
Daytona_man's Profile
Daytona_man

In: Bedford

Every helmet fits different people in different ways because every head is different. You may find a £40 Nitro fits better than a £500 Arai RX7 Corsair, the Nitro might also be the quieter of the two in your case, but the Arai might be noticeably quieter for someone else. it all depends on what bike you ride too - my old Nitro N800-V was perfect on my Gixer Thou but absolutely horrific when I rode my Bandit 600S.

I wear an Arai Condor now, not because it's quieter than any other, but because of all the lids I've had (I've had loads because they were free due to my previous jobs) it fits like no other ever has. It's not what you'd call quiet, no Arai is, but I always wear earplugs so it isn't as bad for me as it could have been. The bonus of me buying the Condor was it's the cheapest Arai full face they do, and in black (my preferred colour) it's only £200.

About 7 years of my working life has been spent selling helmets to either retail or wholesale customers, and I've worked closely with the people who design and develop them. My last job was Area Sales Manager for Nitro, so I do know a little about lids.

Personally I wouldn't touch a Caberg with a bargepole, the quality of them is atrocious and they may fit well when new, but the internal liners very soon compress and become too large for your head. I have it on good authority that the returns rate for Cabergs is huge, and that came from one of their old reps. There are much better helmets on the market for similar money. I worked for the Shark MX helmet importers for a while, and I had 4 identical top of the range motorcross helmets in 4 months, they literally fell apart on me.

Spend the extra, buy either a Shoei or an Arai and it'll last you a good few years.
fatmanonholiday's Profile
fatmanonholiday

In: leeds

told u already BMW 120 QUID ALLAN JEFFRIES wrote in big letters seeing as u are deaf i might take u when ive fixed your lads busa                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7656 seconds. There are 927 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption