Proper English...?

27 Posts | Latest reply on 28/01/2017 13:16:12 by 56Steve | Go to original / last post
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
22% Karma22% Karma 22% Karma22% Karma

Many times lately, when adding to the forums content,i've been struck by how many times the system tries to tell me i've spelt something erroneously...can Matt tell us if the settings are for 'English' English or 'American' English,as i have many reservations about our wonderful Language becoming too 'dumbed down' as it is..??
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I suspect it's US English Jinx.

However there are a few on here who are unable to even use any form of English unless it's baby talk to text type!

feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

In: Rochdale

That's a bit harsh Stuie. LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

But true.                                                                                                                                                                              
Rose67's Profile
Rose67

In: northamptonshire
6% Karma6% Karma 6% Karma6% Karma

Must admit I tend to use abbreviations when typing these days :-/ ....but does boggle my brain when reading some of the text talk....I've had times when I've had to read things 2 or 3 times and still none the wiser hahaha                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

lol(irony)...                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Each to their own I say Tongue                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Some ov us was hedumacated.Confused                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

Dyslexia Lures K.O.! :0>                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

This is not to the pw (post writer) 
There is nothing wrong wi shortening down words. We don't come on here for educational purposes so if someone writes in a way u don't like then don't chat to them. I personally don't care how a person writes and have a live n let live or each to their own attitude to it : )
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

In a text message via a mobile/ cell phone, or even in chat room, then yes text speak is fine, in MHO. (that's  an acronym not text speak)
In the forums and private messages I prefer the full version.
I don't  care if a person cannot spell as long as what they type is understandable.
If I don't  understand I will ask. :-)
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

In: Leeds
52% Karma52% Karma 52% Karma52% Karma

May I point out, before anyone else does, that Stuie himself struggles on occasions with spellings, as he will openly admit. However, you don't need to be a codebreaker to read and understand his posts, unlike posts from some members that I gloss over, as I no longer have the time (or desire) to decipher them. Sorry but that's the truth.  

Personally I often use acronyms and abbreviations and frequently type as I speak, reet proper Yorkshire like.

Whilst I realise that our language is ever evolving/growing we should remember, as Jinx quite rightly points out, we write/type English not some version of it from the USA.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

If we all spelt as we spoke, different accents and word meanings, slang etc, then nobody would understand anything so just do your best, we,ll muddle through no problem.Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i always talk proper english, its just other people dont understand me

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Personally speaking I love it when peeps type the way they talk, text speak or not I usually look past the typos etc and I know what they are trying to say.
I got some Jamaican friends in London who all text their 'patois' to me and also some US mates who text their own lingo, I understand it perfectly ( but maybe that's just moi)
If you don't understand people don't communicate with them .... easy!  
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Biggest problem isn't abrivitations it's the whole post written in text talk with no punctuation. 

More often than not looks more like a block of computer code than English. 

Adding your accent to a post isn't a problem either. 

Just my take on it. Mind you it doesn't help being dyslexic. 
Fireblade918rrx's Profile
Fireblade918rrx

In: Luton

I wish i could speal.Confused                                                                                                                                                                             
the vtwin twin's Profile
the vtwin twin

In: manchester

aye but im a wiganer so I cant speak propa English let alone write it hahaGeek                                                                                                                                                                             
VFR800AJ's Profile
VFR800AJ

In: Sutton Coldfield
32% Karma32% Karma 32% Karma32% Karma

The twenty five letter alphabet that the yoof, and radio stations etc that cater for that drives me insane.

eg.....par*y     ta**00   su'un   (Where I live   Sutton)   etc
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

In: Manchester
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

I wasn't going to put anything for this, but, hey ho what the heck.   I don't like incorrect punctuation, bad spelling etc, (comes with a job which includes proof-reading) but saying that its my OCD problem to deal with not the person writing.   There are people on here with dyslexia and some that write as they speak and you know what, so what.   At least they are posting.  Be who you are and don't worry about owt else :-)

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8438 seconds. There are 1227 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption