Cyclists

19 Posts | Latest reply on 14/01/2016 14:44:31 by JP | Go to original / last post
Triple955's Profile
Triple955

In: Chorley
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Having just encountered numerous cyclists along the A6 ,3 abreast at 2am in the morning,I'd like to see what the general consensus is as to the behaviour of these road users.Personally,I think they're totally anti social,think..ing that they own the road,showing no antipathy to any other road users 
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

In: Leeds
54% Karma54% Karma 54% Karma54% Karma

What on earth? 2am??!! I hope they had their breakfast bars and a pint of milk with em ; )

What i dont understand about them is their need to fly through tiny little villages and hamlets shouting very loudly at each other at anytime of the day/night. They should be fitted with a mute button!

Also riding three to five abreast across the road, they appear to think it makes them invincible. Do they not realise that instead of the possibility of one of them getting taken out by another vehicle ALL of em could be?

I have noticed recently that they are defo more aggressive whilst on the road, especially the lycra clad variety, perhaps they are morphing into a the superior race?

Point to note: There is a distinct lack of motorists around Yorkshire who seem able to pass a cyclist on a open lane/road. The amount of times recently when out for a bimble we have had to sit behind vehicles who seem either unable or unwillingly to pass a cyclist without following them at crawling speed for about two miles is unbelieveable! Come on people, if the road is clear and the cyclist is where they should be to the left of the lane/road and it is safe to do so, indicate and pass them for goodness sake (it saves me having to suffer Stuie's bad language!)

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

THATS IT IM ON MY SOAP BOX

I bloody hate them, the recent batch of born again Lycra clad ecomentaly righteous pedal cyclists that roam our roads in packs 3 or 4 abrest are a menice and a danger to them selves and other road users.

They ignor the road traffic act not only by jumping red light, they use pavements, ride the wrong way on one way roads. They tend to be aggressive and rude, they spit as they ride and are very noises when in a pack, completely incapable of making quiet progress.

Unfortunately I live on part of the Tour de France route through Midhopestones and have to put up with this behaviour on a daily basis. The crazy thing is 20 years I used to be a club rider myself and the mentality has completely changed.

IMHO I think cycles should have a registration plate like most other road users so they can be held to book for there misbehaviour. It's this inability to be traced I feel is the main reason packs of cyclists behave this way.

PUTTING SOAP BOX AWAY NOW.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I agree that a lot of the Lycra clad do seem to think they are righteous in being able to behave in any way they feel.

The riding abreast rather than single file is something that a lot of cycling clubs seem to advise now as in their minds it makes the cyclist more visible.  Now whilst this may be true on a long straight road and a good idea, riding in the same format around bends on a country road is just asking for trouble and more like to get them either killed or seriously injured.

As for the idea of having registration plates, I don't think that will make any difference at all.  Even with vehicles with them fitted now, if you have to report someone for their driving, how many times have the Police actually been bothered to do something about it!!

All it will do if the idea was to be taken up is cause problems, as we all know the government will make the requirement so complex and there will have to be a cost involved, and who would pay that?  Yes, the likes of you, me and everyone else that already pays to use the road in the first place, and we're already paying over the odds for the privilege!

Also it'll mean that everyone that rides a bike will probably be tagged for registration of their bike, even parents will more than likely have to register their children’s bikes.
If bikes were to be registered, how to run the scheme and would the different bikes be on a class level cost of vehicle tax.  I bet it wouldn't be cheap and can you imagine if you’re a family of x5 that the annual cost a year just for those of us that may occasionally use our bikes would be costly.

Personally I would prefer the idea of road insurance cover, that way it's down to the owner to insure and like a car owner if you’re caught not having some form of cover then the bike gets crushed and you get a fine.  That way it would be more of a self-financing scheme of cover for those that do ride pedal bikes, rather than the masses having to pay for something that they don't use.

Well that's just my thoughts on the subject. Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
dustin666's Profile
dustin666

In: carlisle
17% Karma17% Karma 17% Karma17% Karma

Live and let live.
I don't follow the Highway Code to the letter.
I have to make allowances for other people that share that opinion.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Sounding a very loud horn, like the American truckers have, usually encourages the outside cyclists to move over.                                                                                                                                                                             
SlowGoose's Profile
SlowGoose

In: bolton
8% Karma8% Karma 8% Karma8% Karma

Selfish bunch of freaks, I hate them all. Angry                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

I am with you on that one Slowgoose.

They are a real menace in London. Now at a cost of many millions, they are building so called cycle super highways across central Lodon. We are losing about 1/3 of the road.                                                                                                                                                                              
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

During the time I lobbied for motorcycling, I came to detest the cycle lobby who far from having any fellow feeling for motorcyclists, regarded us as infidels for having an engine. They would seek concessions like access to bus lanes or advanced stop lines and then pull the ladder up so that we couldn't share them. Cyclists' demise is never their fault while they portray motorcyclists as dangerous and inconsiderate. The London Cycling Campaign is a particularly obnoxious shower who seem to have politicians and Transport for London in their pockets while motorcyclists remain the poor relations. It's time the law was enforced on cyclists with the same rigour with which it is applied to us.
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
56% Karma56% Karma 56% Karma56% Karma

Riding in packs, noisy, some aggressive behaviour, irritating to other road users...
sounds like someone else I know :-)                                                                                                                                                                             
dustin666's Profile
dustin666

If the cycling lobby is successful. Do you consider it may be because lobbying is a better use of one's time as opposed to whingeing?
Last weekend at Dent we came upon several groups of cyclists, two and three abreast. They were travelling about twenty mph. We were travelling about 120 feet per second. Hardly enough time to become annoying.
They're a group of people having fun on two wheels on the open road. I really don't see them as a problem.
Same wknd we came across a herd of cows on a bend
. Mud and shit all over the road. Proper nuisance ; but again just for a few seconds so not a huge inconvenience.
I guess it's all down to a person's attitude to the rest of the planet's residents.

Seisix6's Profile
Seisix6

In: Wisbech

Quite possibly the cycling lobby is successful because people like Boris Johnson and Daisy(sorry David) Cameron are high profile push bike riders ready to defend the rights of these poor defenceless road users on whom everyone vents their anger.
Angry about the fact that when approaching traffic lights they either disregard the red bulb entirely or dismount and become a pedestrian until bike pushed across junction(normally only half way before getting back on)
Angry about the fact that they seem to think that they have the same rights on pedestrian crossings as pedestrians and are constantly testing drivers abilities to brake at the very last moment in all weathers as they race to cross in font of you.
Angry about the fact that they cut up the inside of lorries and large vehicles trying to execute an already taxing manoeuvre selfishly unaware of the danger they could be in or the grief they could cause if they went under the wheels
Angry about the fact that they largely have no comprehension of lights,those with none fitted riding down unlit roads.Those with flashing rear lights only,when they should have a main rear red light that is constant.Those with forward flashing white lights so bright that it makes it impossible to judge their speed or distance(strobe effect)which i'm reliably told are illegal.
Angry about the fact that they can actually lobby and be successful about road subjects when they wont contribute to the upkeep or maintenance of them by paying even a small sum.
Angry about the fact that you cant even go for a nice walk through the woods anywhere now without some twat or bunch thereof thinking its their god given right to turn every woodland walk into a cross country section of the tour de france
Now i'm generally of the opinion to live and let live....you know the farmer has been herding them cows down that road for generations,probably wouldn't be a road without him.Also he happens to earn his living by doing what he does so i also respect the fact that a tractor or a combine harvester is just an inconvenience.
But three abreast lycra clad middle age salesmen with no respect for other road users are always gonna get my goat.
Respect for other road users costs nothing,not whingeing here...just stating facts
dustin666's Profile
dustin666

Angry people tend to make really bad decisions.
You should consider handing in your license before you cause an accident or have a heart attack.
I drive 8 hours and 400 mile per day. I couldn't do that if I was a stress-head like you.
I ain't perfect. So I don't get angry if others are less than godlike.
Chill out 666 , you'll give yourself an ulcer.                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
56% Karma56% Karma 56% Karma56% Karma

Sorry 666 you've lost me. Are you talking about cyclists or motorcyclists?                                                                                                                                                                             
Seisix6's Profile
Seisix6

In: Wisbech

So dustin you make all sorts of assumptions about me...my driving abilities and general state of health based on what?
If you read what i wrote you'd see it wasn't me getting angry....just stating how a moron minority can be perceived by the majority of others on the road,and i hear it all the time.
It must be of concern to motorists in general as the Police are actually targeting cyclists round these parts doing some of those things....
Granted 3 cyclists abreast down a narrow fen road will get my goat....but i certainly ain't stressed and losing sleep over it.
My advice would be that if you love them that much,get down to Halfords and kit yourself out in some nice dayglo lycra and go join the crowd....ahh,but now i'm making assumptions about you.....see it's not right is it?                                                                                                                                                                             
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

In: Leeds
54% Karma54% Karma 54% Karma54% Karma

Ok, boys lets call it a day shall we?

This topic will, and has, raised differences of opinion, everyone is entitled to their own thoughts/opinions . There is no need to start winding each other up and assumptions are (in my opinion) often very wrong indeed.

'Nuff said.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

they are mental, they have serious ego problems I think. I love mountain biking and I NEVER ride in the road, that's just asking for trouble! :-s                                                                                                                                                                             
Gloom's Profile
Gloom

In: Southport

This is a topic that seriously polarises people.
Personally I'd like to see them forced to pass a test, get insurance and stick to the highway code. Why should they be allowed to clutter up the roads without having to have any understanding of the rules that apply to them or how they should behave.
Won't happen but I can dream :-)
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

Your not wrong the Gloom. Its like the invalid scooters they were made for the disabled, But now there are being used by anybody to lazy to get off there ass and walk. They are all over the high street charging round like nutters not giving a toss about any others in the high street or shops. If a teenager road a cycle in that way they would to pulled by the police.
Now for the owners who have these and are not disabled or elderly you buy them because your to lazy to walk that will make you fat then you keep eating and do even less exercise then you get even fatter then you will become a burden on the over taxed workers of the uk. So do us a favor get off the scooter and try walking to the fridge and when its empty walk to the shop.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6797 seconds. There are 310 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption