BMW recalls 300,000 bikes

13 Posts | Latest reply on 06/05/2015 11:24:13 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
ninjaflump's Profile
ninjaflump

In: dublin mancheste
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

oooops gonna cost a few bob,,,,its in mcn and affects a lot of k and r series models,,,,                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Not yet received my recall notice from BMW,                                                                                                                                                                             
havfun's Profile
havfun

In: harrogate
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

Not got mine yet                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

funny BMW are normally good at recalls.                                                                                                                                                                             
SPESH's Profile
SPESH

In: Rugeley In The S
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

I had my rear wheel off my K1200 the other day and had a quick look for cracks. Seems ok at the moment, but I always use a torque wrench when refitting. But i guess its going to take time to do this recall, it involves a total hub rebuild, and that takes time and money.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Received my recall this morning. Booked in for 6 May.

Just the flange replacement. Should take less than an hour.

Removed these flanges in the past. There a pig as you have to use heat and a puller. There welcome to it. No reason the hub should need a rebuild. Rear wheel bearing replacements were a different recall. Since I replaced my rear wheel bearing last year that won't need doing.
YID's Profile
YID

In: Scarborough
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

It's the bit that holds the disc, had mine done at the weekend without a recall notice,was having new tyres fitted at the time ahead of a long trip!                                                                                                                                                                              
SPESH's Profile
SPESH

ooh heat and seals do not mix.......and bearings and pullers don't either. I hope there providing a warrenty on these items after they've done a bit of a quick flange replacement. i shall ask, and voice my concerns                                                                                                                                                                             
SPESH's Profile
SPESH

Well I asked when I popped in. The bloke said they had a puller to remove the flange, but was a bit vague how they pressed it back on. We shall wait and see what happens ;-) 

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

To pull the flange off you warm it. I use a hot air gun. The puller dose not excert any force onto the bearings.

The flange is held on using an interference fit. A difference of 30degs C is all that is needed to break the join. So no damage to seals. They get hotter than that when you ride it.

To put the new flange on heat the flange to 100deg and it just drops into place and cools almost instantly.

Simple basic engineering.
SPESH's Profile
SPESH

Ooh I've had my letter through.
 Is the hub that the flange sits on ally? That's why I assumed they would strip the hub. The heat will dissipate rapidly if it's a ally hub, hence the rapid cool down of the flange. As any one who has tried to tig weld ally before will know.
I shall pop in and book it in one afternoon next week.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I think the hub is some sort of stainless steel. Deffo not alloy

The flange that is being replaced is Ally but i belive the upgraded replacement is a steel alloy.

When I have put flanges back on the hubs in the past I Put the whole drive unit in the freezer and the flange in the oven for half an hour. All just falls together then.

Remember when you get the new hub the wheel bolts are tightened to 60nm. And not 15th ratchet of the air gun!                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

All done took just an hour.

Off with the billet flange and in with the cast ally one.                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5938 seconds. There are 986 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption