Brilliant idea! Well done Aprilia

11 Posts | Latest reply on 09/10/2007 06:46:01 by yorkie1966 | Go to original / last post
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

In: Hinckley
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

At last a FULLY automatic "proper" motorbike (yes I know Honda did an auto 400 and 750 when Moses was still around!)   It features a fully automatic gearbox that can be switched to tiptronic seven speed gearbox by left hand thumb switches OR a regular foot operated gear lever (attached to a switch, nothing mechanical)   It also has three gearbox modes: rain,tour and sport. Each mode has its own power settings and gearbox settings.   I think its the future of biking, we can go auto for town work or bimbling and still keep a "manual" box for normal hoons!   I say a big well done to Aprilia for this brilliant innovation and having the balls to fit it to a proper bike instead of a scoot!   video here: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/vide...=EPI-95110                                                                                                                                                                             
Daytona_man's Profile
Daytona_man

In: Bedford
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

And it's Italian, which means this new found electronic gimmickery will break down every time there's a day with a 'Y' in it, or in any month that has more than 27 days.

I certainly wouldn't spend my own money on one.                                                                                                                                                                             
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

Thats funny because my Aprilia Falco (chipped,derestricted,regeared etc) was far more reliable than my mates new Triumph.   In 42000 miles all that went on the Aprilia was a rear brake light microswitch which Aprilia replaced free of charge dispite the bike being out of warrenty.   My mates Triumph had to go back in for: camchain tensioner, coolant temp sensor, numerous overheating problems, numerous fuel remaps, oil cooler replacement and to top it off I believe it ended up with a cracked head!........all at under 12000 miles.   If thats the best of british then I'll stick to anything but!                                                                                                                                                                             
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

And I forgot to add Aprilia electrics come from Suzuki, the V twins come from Rotax of Austria (who also make aeroplane engines) And they will (thanks to being owned by Piaggio) always have more money put into thier development than any British bike.                                                                                                                                                                                 
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
72% Karma72% Karma 72% Karma72% Karma

Funny thing is, on the way to Matlock yesterday I was holding forth to Gypsy-Anne and Paul about how I felt that the makers of the big super-scoots should try dropping the twist and go engine and transmission into a proper bike chassis, with the controls in bike-style layout and summat between your knees to grip on to. I had a brief ride on a Burgman 600 a couple of years back, and felt that now the manufacturers have cracked how to do a proper automatic bike tranmission , they should try a hybrid or two. I reckon the only way to see if it'll catch on is to put an automatic bike in the showrooms with proper markting back-up and see what happens.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

why would you want an automatic bike?  Gears are great fun!  Plus it's good and safe to know when the power/gear is about to change - especially mid-corner.   Sorry i dont get it                                                                                                                                                                             
ghosthunter's Profile
ghosthunter

Yes but with this aprilia Matt you can ride it just like a manual if you like, it still has a foot gearlever! and the gearbox can be switched from auto to manual (still no clutch needed...like a clutchless upshift)   I say its a great idea.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

Why would you want to though?  Get a scooter if you can't use gears.  How much extra money will they be charging for all the electrics, switches, fancy gearing etc???   Ok maybe if you have no left arm then ok. But otherwise - give me my gears and 170bhp anyday!                                                                                                                                                                             
old gixer boy's Profile
old gixer boy

In: on the streets

buy gixer thou it doesnt matter about gears any will do lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

ROFLMHO LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
yorkie1966's Profile
yorkie1966

In: Sheffield

"buy gixer thou it doesnt matter about gears any will do lol " . And if you use the first three gears it saves a fortune on front tyres                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5000 seconds. There are 1813 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption