Kevlar Jeans?

28 Posts | Latest reply on 16/07/2014 22:18:57 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
ColinB's Profile
ColinB

In: Ashford
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Having just looked at quite a few I am struggling to see the point. They have patches of Kevlar sewn in at various points. I assume they will protect you if you come off and happen to slide along a VERY smooth road without any potholes and don't hit anything solid or turn over and hit the surface hard?
As is normal, the knee pads don't sit where they should and the fit is loose so I assume the pads would be pulled away from the knee pretty easily. Thigh pads are mostly an extra. Seems like £100, or much more, for not much.
Me thinks decent boots and good fitting knee pads, that you can wear under any jeans, are a better buy.
Any thoughts?                                                                                                                                                                             
zzrbabe42's Profile
zzrbabe42

In: furry tree rat h

i personally think they are a waste of money!! i would deffo rather wear my leathers as theyre well fitting and comfy.i have found that the armour in most textiles and kevlars move around and would basically move and not protect what theyre meant too.i also bought a bulletproof sweatshirt with kevlar in not as protection as it would be useless for that as the material would just tear as soon as it touched tarmac but just cos it was nice.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

I love my Kevlar jeans. Have a few pairs.

However i do wear MX armour under them (as I do with my leathers as well.)

As with leather they should stop a hole wearing through your leg but you may still need some impact protection.

My issue is that I have yet to find any leathers,textiles or kevlars that the armour sits in the right place or stays put. Which is why I wear MX Armour. Two broken petellas, shattered tib and fibs prove that the armour even in leathers can not be trusted.

We are all adults we wear the kit of our choice and we should ride accordingly. The jeans work as long as there used according to the conditions and riding style I guess.
ColinB's Profile
ColinB

Totally agree about the MX armour. I have a thick pair of leather pants that fit really well and, purely by chance, the armour sits tight where it should but if I'm wearing jeans I'd go for individual MX knee armour.
I think it's about protecting the bits that stick out, knees, feet, elbows, shoulders, thighs etc.
Its a shame that so much low end gear, still bloody expensive, is so poorly thought out.

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

There is some well priced cheeper gear out there that works well. In fact some of it works better than the expensive stuff.

The problem is finding it. After 20 years despatch riding i have finaly round a recipie that works for me and i now know what to look for that works for me.

Best approuch is to ask your self what your demands and needs are and fullfill them. For me i want my bounce points protected. But i dont need the robocop look.
rockandrob's Profile
rockandrob

In: staffordshire

Interesting topic,as I was just thinking about getting a pair of Red Route kevlar jeans,and was going to ask if anyone had any experience with them ? Valid points from all concerned and has got me re-thinking,AGAIN.........                                                                                                                                                                             
SlowGoose's Profile
SlowGoose

In: bolton
8% Karma8% Karma 8% Karma8% Karma

Well fitting armoured leather saved me again today                                                                                                                                                                             
madscots's Profile
madscots

In: Edinburgh
11% Karma11% Karma 11% Karma11% Karma

You need to try different makes to get right fit just like buying a lid Thumbs Up

Kevlar jeans will not rip apart if you go down the road however they wont stop anything sharp coming through.  If you buy Kevlar jeans get the type 2 not type 1 as it offers far better protection.

I like them especially for hot temp riding as they breath easier and comfier for riding.  If you are a touring biker then they are great as wear leathers/textiles in lower France/Germany your more likely to pass out or get dehydrated LOL

End of day you have to wear it so it's your call but just make sure whatever it is fits Approve

zzrbabe42's Profile
zzrbabe42

aaah but madscots therein lies this problem "you dont have to wear anything" hence why we see so many idiots riding round in tshirts,shorts and trainers/sandals.im not one for legislation or this country being turned into a nanny state but i do think that there should be a minimum level of bike gear people have to wear.i would never get on a bike without a lid "ever".and if im not going far i might wear jeans but always modify my riding.but generally i will always wear either leathers or textiles when on the bike.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
89% Karma89% Karma 89% Karma89% Karma

There is a minimum level of bike gear to ware, it's a helmet I for one don't want to see the old row start all over agin on the threads it's a personal choice we all make. Some have been know to make poor choices and I'm sure some will keep making them but it's there choice.
As for kevlar jeans you get what you pay for
Fatbob16's Profile
Fatbob16

In: Buckley
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

I agree with JP, we don't need any more legislation !
I wear riding jeans with Kevlar and knee and hip CE protection, they fit well and the protection stays in place, think my fat helps lol.
I adjust my riding when I am wearing them, and will never feel as protected as when wearing my leathers, but when you ride a tractor as well as a real bike ...................
ExupRichR1's Profile
ExupRichR1

Though when I see people riding without protective gear makes me cringe and I think they're prat's, it should always be their choice, always leaves a bad taste when I hear things like "people need protecting from themselves"Angry                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Something i have belived for a long time is ,

If we remove all warning signs and health and saftey regulations natural selection will take care of its self.

This will in the end mean less welfare bills as well as the dumb arse mouthbreathers out there will eliminate them selves from the gene pool. The rest of us will then have more fun when the darwin awards come round too 8-)
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

Having a mandatory minimum level of protection for riding a motorcycle would be a dangerous move since the Government or more likely the EU would make it the most expensive option and continue to limit access to powered two-wheelers.

I have a pair of Dragging Jeans jeans and chinos and find them useful for wearing to work and short journeys in hot weather. If you accept their limitations, they are a useful item for the motorcycling wardrobe.
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
55% Karma55% Karma 55% Karma55% Karma

I prefer Hood Jeans as they are fully lined rather than just patches in select areas.
They go very well with a mesh jacket.
Main plus is if I'm not overheating my concentration levels are where they should be.                                                                                                                                                                             
Fatbob16's Profile
Fatbob16

15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

Tis a good point H, if you are not comfortable and concentrating, dosnt matter what you are wearing, you shouldn't be on the road !

zzrbabe42's Profile
zzrbabe42

well bandito if thats true then that would take at least 70% of stupid sportsbike riders off the road as everyone of them i see looks so uncomfortable on them things and they cant manouvre them in carparks so that would be good pmsl LOL and your all right i hate legislation and dont want a minimum clothing level.just really makes me cringe when i see guys with shorts/trainers on and like that girl i saw in matlock on the back of a bike in hotpants,bra and a floaty blouse,high heels and one of them dumb german helmets and fingerless pleather gloves.all i could see when i looked at her was gravel rash and no flesh left on her god it was scary Thumbs DownShocked i just sometimes wonder where they get there mentality from?? after 37yrs of riding with no major offs i strive to take care of myself as ive seen the consequences,but it seems these people just wont be realistic till its too late.but as i have said before and i agree with you all "personal choice" Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

The worse thing i see is riders with no gloves....

It might seam like a small sin but how do you phone for an ambulance with your hands torn to shreds after even a slowish 30mph dismount?                                                                                                                                                                             
ColinB's Profile
ColinB

Getting back to my point, it's the Kevlar bit. I don't think it actually does anything, apart from abrasion resistance on a very smooth surface, (ie. a race track)  that doesn't exist on UK roads. 

Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

In: Leeds
55% Karma55% Karma 55% Karma55% Karma

@ColinB ... I take it you havent ridden the new super smooth surfaces, which have been put down for the lycra clad loonies, around Yorkshire?

There are miles n miles of straights, twisties, uphill and down dale roads and lanes through fantastic countryside for you to fall off on if you wish to do so.

It is just annoying that it took the invasion of lycra to get the roads relaid!

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6641 seconds. There are 857 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption