No more support for windows XP

14 Posts | Latest reply on 16/04/2014 20:49:39 by Matt | Go to original / last post
bluesbiker's Profile
bluesbiker

In: Birmingham in th
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

As most of you are using a pc.some of you may not be aware that as from 8th April. Microsoft no longer supports XP. No more updates which would include security bug fixes. just so yer know Geek                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
88% Karma88% Karma 88% Karma88% Karma

Phil if I knew what you were talking about I would know if I should be concerned or not

Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
90% Karma90% Karma 90% Karma90% Karma

I have had to change to windows 7 at work and i dont like it, still prefer XP but hey ho money talks i guess                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

I'm running Windows XP (SP3) Thumbs Up

I had an "automatic update" install itself on Wednesday evening & requiring a "re-start" Approve

So maybe that was the last "official" update Ermm

But I won't be panicking about a lack of "official" support Wink

I have a 3rd party anti-virus +  standalone spyware Embarrassed

No I'm not paranoid, just careful Geek

The operating system will still "work" Wacko

So don't be rushed into changing if you don't "have" to Disapprove

I had enough trouble with Windows Vista Angry

IMHO (I'm no PC expert) your PC will still work & providing you have "up to date" security software you need not change for the "foreseeable" future Smile

dustin666's Profile
dustin666

In: carlisle
11% Karma11% Karma 11% Karma11% Karma

Computers ,, ya buy the latest and greatest best thing since sliced bread . Six months later the same IT Co. Tells ya that ya pride and joy is actually a piece of stone age crap that ya shouldn't admit to owning unless you're looking for sympathy .

Don't even get me started on phones lol
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
70% Karma70% Karma 70% Karma70% Karma

XP was introduced in 2001, nearly 13 years ago, and replaced by the unloved Vista in 2007. That's a lifetime ago in IT terms.
Having said that, an XP machine will do exactly the same in 2014 as it did in 2001-2007. But in the Wild West of cyberspace, you're on yer own from now onDead                                                                                                                                                                             
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

I run an iMac and Apple are far worse in abandoning older operating systems than Microsoft and as a result, I have suffered a similar experience when my operating system OS 10.4 was no longer supported. At first it makes no difference but after a while, the versions of software for that operating system, like Stuffit Expander, is no longer available. Similarly with hardware, when trying to get hold of an external hard drive, that was only available for OS 10.6 onwards. The real slap in the face came when the Firefox web browser updated itself to no longer function with OS 10.4 which meant I had to fall back on Safari which came on the original operating system. I since had the computer upgraded and OS 10.6 installed but time is running out for that too and no more upgrades are possible.

So, the time will come when the limitations of XP will make PCs running it virtually unusable and the only answer will be to buy a new one. My advice is to install all the software and hardware that you anticipate you will need while it is available to maximise the life of your PC. I used to hate Microsoft but Apple are just as much a bunch of bar stewards.  
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
55% Karma55% Karma 55% Karma55% Karma

The cheap option is to stick an up to date system on your old computer.
Windows is pricey but if you're tech minded Linux is an option (which also forms the basis of your android phone if you're interested).
Right, can I revert to my usual idiocy mode now please?
dustin666's Profile
dustin666

So,,, does this mean mi windows 7 should last a few more years then . Coz that's mi operating system and all the megalumps and jigaboos are something else entirely.

??? Confused from Carlisle???                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Megalumps and jigaboos? sounds pretty serious to me, a visit to you GP is in order, I am sure he can provide some cream for that. But remember, dont scratch and wash your hands regularly.                                                                                                                                                                             
dustin666's Profile
dustin666

Ohh 66 it seems you are not quite au fait with the latest computer parlance. Jigaboos and megalumps are an integral part of the language . Lol                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Ah, it all becomes much clearer now. I appologise for my ignorance in such matters, please accept my penance. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Lmao                                                                                                                                                                             
dustin666's Profile
dustin666

That's quite alright 66 . Even the girl at PC world wasn't up to date with the vocabulary . When I asked her how many megalumps she had . She replied '' none , it's a wonderbra'' !

Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

Folks - PLEASE get XP off your computers ASAP!

Having a brilliant antivirus is NOT a solution.  Once Microsoft stop supporting it (which they have) it's like basically being on your own walking around a very bad neighbourhood at night.

Having an anti-virus scanner is like walking with a friend who's a bit tough, but you're still very vulnerable even together.

Moving to Windows 8 (with the latest service pack if you prefer the old "feel" of XP/7) is like being upgrading from walking around a bad neighbourhood to driving a hummer down Mayfair.

Most people think "ah it's fine, it still works"... but it really doesn't and you're massively open to problems.

Simple websites like BM also will give you a lot of trouble now as XP is 13 years old and we've simply moved on with technology.  BM now requires features that are "basic" on operating systems made in the last 7 or 8 years.  But 13 year old Windows XP should be through out the window!!

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5547 seconds. There are 348 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption