HID lights

18 Posts | Latest reply on 06/05/2014 13:39:46 by Richard T | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I own a FZS 600, a cracking bike but the headlight lets it down, I was thinking of putting a HID light conversion on the bike but then I read this. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html Any suggestions as to how I can improve the headlight without making it illegal?
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

light both lights up on dip and see if you can put twin filament bulbs in both sides   have a look at this  mate    ** don't go silly on the wattage **    it seems that the sun doesn't set in japan     http://foc-u.co.uk/?topic=181.0                                                                                                                                                                               
Imola72's Profile
Imola72

In: Rainhill near Li
34% Karma34% Karma 34% Karma34% Karma

Osram Nightbreakers made a fair improvement on my ST4, just a straight bulb swap, might be worth a try. Got'em cheap on FleabayWink

Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

+ 1 on that I72   Thumbs Up   Put them in my little CBR Approve   They make a vast improvement to what were already great lights Big smile                                                                                                                                                                                
Imola72's Profile
Imola72

Well all I'll say is they turned the headlamp from something barely adequate into seriously good. Had to buy them in packs of 2 but meant I had a spare dip and main, Nightbreaker+ last longer than the originals apparentlyWink

Vehicle selector here:

http://am-application.osram.info/publish/index_en.html
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I have fitted HID lamps to my GS. I love them.

It's only set up on dip beam as they take too long to warm up to be any use on high beam.

After adjusting the beam settings there's not too much dazzle and the visablity us majic. Basically making high beam redundant.

Cars defiantly know I'm there so a massive saftey plus.

Don't realy care if there not legal tbh. To convert back it's just a bulb to put it back again. At the end if the day I have had enough of car drivers saying 'sorry I didn't see you mate'!
Imola72's Profile
Imola72

Apparently the latest from Osram is the Nightbreaker Unlimited, you can get them on your favourite auction site for £11 each, dip & main.

Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Found a pair for a bargain price Wink   I'll be adding them to my new Baby before she goes for the MOT Thumbs Up   Maybe even get myself a spare set at that price Ermm   Although they are claimed to last much longer than "normal" tungsten lamps Geek     http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380817967547?_trksid=p2055120...EBIDX%3AIT     Just be careful to select the twin blister pack H4 (or whichever fitment is appropriate)  option, in the drop down menu Wink   Which are £12.95   NOT   £8.55  Thumbs Down                                                                                                                                                                                   
xj's Profile
xj

In: London

absolutely on the nightbreaker. got them in xj. brilliant.

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

thanks all! Haven't had chance to source a pair yet most likely get some over the weekend.                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
58% Karma58% Karma 58% Karma58% Karma

I've a HID on the Tigger, dip beam only not main, fitted by the previous owner.
Pain in the ass really.
On the plus side people might see me coming but that's set against the fact they a) won't be able to see me indicating and b) I most likely dazzle them.
One day I might get round to taking the HID off and going back to normal for safety.
In the meantime I just ride round the disadvantages and act cautious like keeping points a and b in mind.
Richard T's Profile
Richard T

In: North Lincs

Fitted twin HID kits to my GTR1400 a couple of years back. Illumination at night much better, I ride a lot of unlit country roads. Also much more noticeable to other traffic. Dipping no problem, a solenoid moves the light source relative to the reflector, so no warm-up delay! Issue with reliability though, today one is working but not dipping, other not illuminating at all. Might have to take the kit off and replace the original H4 bulbs while I sort it out. Thankfully just 'plug and play'. Hopefully just duff auxillary relays?
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I had a proper HID on my ZZR, complete with ballast etc. It was excellent compared to the standard bulb, and I never had any reliability issues with it. It did say that if dipped/main wasn't working to lubricate the rails the unit slid on to move between main and dipped.

The bike went through its mot with the HID in and passed no problem.

My Vara has twin headlamps and with Osram hi intensity bulbs in there's simply no need for HID - the light put out by the Osrams is excellent.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

The h4 conversion kits shouldnt have an issue wth the dim dip but if you have two h7 bulbs (a la BMW) then you do get a warm up issue as one bulb is main and the other is dip...now if i could get an H4 set up in the GS the whole world would light up 8-)                                                                                                                                                                             
Imola72's Profile
Imola72

Mine's using h1 and h3, never considered HID just went for the Osram Nightbreakers, simple, effective and not too expensive.                                                                                                                                                                              
Richard T's Profile
Richard T

Got fed up with HID headlights not behaving: one out altogether, one not dipping. Unplugged everything and went back to H4 'Blue' filament bulbs.
Now to work out how to safely test & repair the HID kits - very high voltages involved! Any automotive electricians here?                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

Richard all I have seen on here and other places about HID Lights is there a pain in the ass. Is it worth the trouble                                                                                                                                                                              
Richard T's Profile
Richard T

Well having paid £120 for the pair I'd really like to get them working again! Relays were OK, not sure what to try next, waiting for some spare time.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8594 seconds. There are 776 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption