New Feature - Improved Private Messages System

157 Posts | Latest reply on 07/06/2014 10:49:45 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Richard T's Profile
Richard T

In: North Lincs
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

The previous thread on this topic has been locked so I can't add to it, had to start another.

I'm a newbie here so not sure if this has been raised before - I'm finding it difficult to keep track when conducting private conversations with several people simultaneously over several days. This is because inbox and outbox are listed separately and there's no linkage between messages in a conversation. It works well for the public forums, so why can't private conversations be 'threaded' like Text messages or What's App on a mobile phone? If conversations were easier to track it might generate more of them, and more member activity in general?

Just my 2p worth - -
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

Hi Richard

This is something I'm personally looking into.  Hopefully I'll be able to get it similar to Facebook / Whatsapp for you.

Biggest challenge is what to do with all the existing millions of messages.

Fingers crossed we have something new in the summer.

Cheers
Matt                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

New pm layout might arrive sooner than planned! Watch this space                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Cool                                          Nice one Matt            Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                                     
Richard T's Profile
Richard T

In: North Lincs

Thanks Matt, looking forward to it!
Will the new layout be better optimised for smartphones? Many folks these days rarely access the web via a traditional screen and keyboard, so again, a more user friendly smartphone experience would breed more site traffic, increase income, etc?
Matt's Profile
Matt

yes indeed it will be.

I'd like to make a real mobile version of the site if I ever get chance... but I'm crazy busy so it's unlikely I'll get the chance anytime soon (unless I lose my job this summer which looks likely actually lol).

One thing I'm thinking about doing is making the PMs plain-text only, like Facebook.  All the crazy HTML stuff and font colours, smileys, etc is what largely makes PMs unusable on mobile phones (it also brings a large number of security risks with it)

Just not sure how much our members will be disappointed if the private messages goes all plain-text ????                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

It's not the end of the world if you cant have pink crayons and smiley's 

Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

In: Leeds
53% Karma53% Karma 53% Karma53% Karma

Bin the PINK crayons... I will champion the removal of all things PINK!

smileys on the other hand ... well, I dunno if I can survive with out em ...  it will be a long and difficult journey but I suppose it could be done.  I guess I will have to go cold turkey in preparation but I may become more and more reliant on alcohol - now there's a thought **wanders off to look longingly in the cupboard at the JD**                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

Matt have you been messin with stuff all my pm's are in white and it don't matter what colour I select it's white ??                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

JP, just be thankful he didn't give you the pink crayon!                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Damien i assume your colour is red lol

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

nah BJ, I only go red when I am in an aggitated and murderous state of emotion, but even then I dont have time to change the colour of my font.                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Damien who would belive that of you .............                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

New system ready for testing. Please tell me what you think...
http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/myaccount/pm/newin...winbox.asp

Smileys might be possible in the near future but I want to get it launched first asap and see how well it runs without smileys and other "luxury" items.

I still need to add the ability to delete a conversation and block people.

JP - didn't touch your messages mate

zzrbabe42's Profile
zzrbabe42

In: furry tree rat h

ooooh i dont like the way the private messages are set out now its horrid!!!! i want the old way back 
  I DONT LIKE IT BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Matt, JP is a typical trucker, paranoid! 

Having said that, just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't put to get you.                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Not too impressed Matt to be honest Unhappy   Can't see any of my previous mesages Disapprove   All I can see apart from a list of former correspondents Ermm   Is the following message Confused     Microsoft VBScript runtime error 魸a000d' Type mismatch: 'clng' /sites/bm/myaccount/pm/NewInbox_OpenConversation.asp, line 29   I use Internet Explorer on XP, with SP3, exclusively for BM Wink   EDIT :   I've just recieved a PM from Double Six which I can't see Wacko   Could we have the option to select which version we prefer ?                                                                                                                                                                                
Cally.'s Profile
Cally.

In: Manchester

Like the change to pm's and that I can follow the conversations in a linear way, though unless I'm missing something somewhere can't see a button to remove conversation threads/people from list Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

It seems to be working on my PC, I can open multi conversations at the same time. First impression, I like it, embellishments and tweeks to the system can only improve it.

Rome wasn't built in a day.                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

It appears to be working in Google Chrome Confused

I changed from Chrome to IE because I was having with the Chat Room Ermm

Which seemed to be corrected by using IE Confused

BTW 66, I have now read your PM's Wink

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6563 seconds. There are 561 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption